Alternator Whine - nothing is working!

Participant count
  • Participant list

M3Gonz

CarAudio.com Newbie
I sincerely apologize for probably the eleventy-millionth thread here about alternator whine.  I read many other threads, including the sticky at the top.  Quite a few others posted that they have incurable alternator whine, but after 2-3 posts the OP never responds and there's no answers!

Alpine head unit, Infinity Kappa K1000 mono sub amp, Infinity Reference 4-channel amp.  Good, shielded RCA's running off head unit, it's a BMW so the battery is in the trunk and the RCA's + speaker wires are running nowhere near the power, except of course right next to the amps.

I've attached pictures below of the ground wires and how they're attached to the vehicle.  The spot has been sanded down and the 1/0 gauge wire is bolted directly to the metal, running to a distro block with 4 gauge wires to each amp.

There's a brand new (remanufactured) 140amp Bosch alternator powering the vehicle, it's an upgrade from the 80 amp original alternator.

I have moved and redone the ground 3 times.  I have tried a different set of RCA's running nowhere near where the installed RCA's are running.  I've checked all connections.  I've checked the ground for the head unit, and even gave it a new ground very close to it, behind the dash.

When I remove the 2-channel RCA's from the sub mono amp, the alternator whine stops.  When I hook up one or the other side, it's there.

Can it be a bad amp?  Is there anything obvious that I have not yet tried?  Thank you all so much for the help and suggestions.

IMG_5133.JPG

IMG_5134.JPG

IMG_5132.JPG

IMG_4733.JPG

I'll also add, I'm super bitter, angry, and f-ing pissed off at the whole damn thing.  I've tried all the common fixes, I've done all the things as they should be done, and it's not working.  I really hate to bring it to a local installer and be that guy who f's up his own install and then says, "Here, I didn't pay you for all this work, but can you fix it for me?"

Try and see if the high frequency RCA cause whine on the 2 channel if they dont try the sub rca on the 4channel

if the noise is there on the 4 channel the headunit is producing it, if the noise is there using the hi amp rca on the bass amp it's the amp

Is the whine coming from all speakers or just the sub amp

Is the whine coming from all speakers or just the sub amp
The whine is coming from all speakers, except the sub.  There are 3-way components up front and 6x9's on the rear deck.  When I unplug the rca's from the sub amp the noise stops.

I'm otherwise not exactly sure what you're saying to try.  I have 3 sets of RCA's coming out of the head unit, Front & Rear going to the 4-channel amp, and a Sub RCA going to the Mono amp.

Whine is typically from a ground loop or voltage potential on the signal ground relative to chassis.  When you connect the sub amp RCA you create a loop, which may be why the issue is only when both amps are connected. 

The loop may exist because the amp grounds are tied together and the amps internally tie RCA ground to chassis ground or not (loop vs. floating)  They may also exist due to damage in the RCA itself.  I've seen RCA's made with incorrect solder connections.

What if you feed the sub amp from the RCA outputs on the 4channel?  You lose sub level control but it is worth a try to narrow down the loop location.

What happens when you run a wire between the two amps' RCA shields?  This shouldn't be a problem if everything is OK. 

You can also use a DMM to measure resistance from the RCA shield to amp/chassis ground in each amp, an also in the RCA shield to amp/chassis ground.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.