Second battery and h/0 alternator help?

Participant count
  • Participant list

L1ttlet

CarAudio.com Regular
I've been researching power options to supply my car with enough power to run 3500-5000 watt rms audio system. I am going to be running 2/0 awg gp ofhc wire. The big 4 upgrade and have a xs power d3400. So I am confused, about battery options. Option 1: Should I  keep stock lead acid under hood and put xs power d3400 in trunk for audio and get a 250amp H/0 alternator. Option 2:  an xs d3400 under hood, another one for audio in trunk and a 250amp h/0 alternator. So 2 xs power d3400 batterys for this one. OPTION 3: this one is the most confusing one but thinking of options of being able to put in different vehicles and cost effective. Keep the d3400 under hood and add a lithium 15ah-25ah battery. Been doing research. With this setup I  could keep stock alternator to my understanding. Now issues with lithium is who to go with and compatibility for a car application. Lithium currently has it's limits such as to much cold or heat as well as charging to fast. I know limitless would work and the other well known brands but they are just to much. My biggest concern is who to go with and keeping the lithium safety that limitless batteries have and staying  within a 400$ dollar limit. This option would be to ensure I  wouldn't  need a h/0 alternator. 

Hoping someone has these answers. 

Last edited by a moderator:
my best guess is you can get away with 2 agm batteries, as that should keep your amp outta the danger zone(provided your not wired the subs in the dirt) but your amp(s) will easily overcome your stock alt and pull your vehicle voltage down Below  the 12.8ish voltage of a fully charged battery. Expect light dimming at night, and to wear out your stock alt soon as it will be on full demand with no rest every time your bumpin

Last edited by a moderator:
my best guess is you can get away with 2 agm batteries, as that should keep your amp outta the danger zone(provided your not wired the subs in the dirt) but your amp(s) will easily overcome your stock alt and pull your vehicle voltage down Below  the 12.8ish voltage of a fully charged battery. Expect light dimming at night, and to wear out your stock alt soon as it will be on full demand with no rest every time your bumpin
yep, dont mix lead acids with absorbed glass mat batteries. Get an agm under the hood and if you feel the need, another in the trunk, ought gauge wire (maybe a couple runs). What kind of amperage do you expect to have in the trunk? What kind of car is it? if it was mentioned in the OP, i didnt see it (adhd,tl/dr issues here LoL)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.