Installing Stereo Into Radio-Delete Truck

Participant count
  • Participants list

Quarterwave

Hi everyone,

I'm installing a basic head / fronts / powered sub into a 1985 Ford F150 truck that I am restoring. 

The truck is a radio-delete model, and there are no stereo wires anywhere in the truck.

That being said, I'm all set for running the speaker wires etc... but would appreciate some help with the power wires.

a) Where do I run the main power lead for the head unit? There is a location in the fuse box from the factory, but as this had no radio to begin with, there are no wires and no fuse in that location.

b) Where do I run the main power lead for the powered sub?

Any help is appreciated - I've done installs before, but not in a car that never had one to begin with!

Sounds like fun.

I recommend the following:

Run a power wire from the battery to the amp location.  Put a fused distribution block in this location (MAXI fuses are handy) and send a fused power wire to the dash such as 10AWG with 30A is a nice option.From there, land this wire on an ATO fuse block.  This gives you a new fused distribution block for landing other accessories.  This will feed the head unit battery wire (yellow).  Then another fused output will run through a relay to the radio ignition wire (red).  The relay is powered from any ignition source in the truck (also fused).   

ATO fuse blocks are available locally:

https://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/fuse-and-accessories/cooper-bussmann-fuse-and-accessories/32322_0_0

I sketched a quick diagram for clarity.

HeadUnitAdd.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.