Which of these speakers are better?

Participant count
  • Participants list

HAWKONER

CA
MTX TDX 6x9" 2-Way Coaxial

• 1-3/16" silk dome tweeter
  • power range: 10-100 watts RMS (200 watts peak power)
  • frequency response: 42-20,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 92 dB

OR:

Kicker DS Series  6x9" 3-Way
  •  
  • 3-way car speakers (pair)
  • 6"x9" polypropylene woofer with ribbed polyester foam surround
  • 1/2" PEI domed tweeter and supertweeter
  • power range: 6-90 watts RMS (360 watts peak power)
  • frequency range: 30-20,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 92 dB

They will be going in the rear deck. I have Kicker 6.5" 2-ways up front. 
I already bought the MTX's but I'm not sure if i should take them back and exchange them for the Kicker's because the MTX's will need a bit of modifying to fit in the stock holes. The Kickers have a wider screw mounting point.

20180911_230808.jpg

20180911_230759.jpg

20180911_230749.jpg

20180911_230740.jpg

Speakers-KIC16-43DSC69304-detailed-image-1.jpg

mtx looks better than the kicker in every way other than bass response. Kicker has a much cheaply built tweeter.
Thanks Jeff. I will keep the MTX's and make them fit. 
What would be the best way to go about doing so? I thought of 2 ways
1. Use a dremel and widen the holes on the speaker.
2. Make an adapter ring using the template that came with the speaker. Screwing the adapter in from the bottom and then screwing the speaker in from the top.

If I go with #2, I dont think the cars factory speaker grill will sit flush with the rear deck.

Thanks Jeff. I will keep the MTX's and make them fit. 
What would be the best way to go about doing so? I thought of 2 ways
1. Use a dremel and widen the holes on the speaker.
2. Make an adapter ring using the template that came with the speaker. Screwing the adapter in from the bottom and then screwing the speaker in from the top.

If I go with #2, I dont think the cars factory speaker grill will sit flush with the rear deck.
wooden 1/4 or 1/2 adapter with weather strip foam or silicone caulk anywhere there's open holes.

throw away the grills. you dont need them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made an adapter out of 1/2 wood that I had laying around. It seems as the holes for the speaker and the holes for the rear deck are too close together making the screws hit each other. 
Should I use 3/4" or 1" MDF and some smaller screws?

Fabbed up some new rings with thicker 1" MDF. Test fitted them and everything fits perfectly. Also picked up some smaller screws. Gonna pre drill the underside mounting holes right now, already got the top done.
I like how the adapters are thick enough to wrap LED strips around. Its going to look awesome. This if my first time doing something like this.

20180914_184327.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.