Lithium power for cheap

Participant count
  • Participants list

L1ttlet

CarAudio.com Regular
I've  been doing some research and I  already have a xs power d3400 under the hood. I am thinking of getting a lithium battery to supplement the d3400. I will be upgrading electrical. Power and ground will now be 3/0 awg class m welding cable. Should supply easy 500amps. Ofcourse big 4 upgrade. Have not upgraded alternator yet as I  was researching lithium batteries suffer if charged to quickly. I am currently running around 3k watts rms, with potential to upgrade to around 5k watts rms. Have a few questions. I can safely run the lithium and agm without a battery isolator as that is only if you play your system with car off, I  will always have mine running. So all the lithiums on the market right now are very expensive and also some don't  have proper specs to not effect the life of battery, say charging below or above certain temp. I was thinking it'd be pretty interesting to run a bank of the 18650 batteries, the same kind they use for vaping, however would this work, how many would I  need? How would I  hook them up to eachother? Would this be a fire hazard? Are there fail safes in them to keep from exploding? How would I charge them? I just want enough to be another d3400 or two and without the 50lbs of weight. I can't  seem to find these answers looking online. 

making the voltage work on lithium ion batteries for a 14.4 volt application will be daunting to say the very least. Lets assume they are 3.6v each, then you would have to series 4 of them, and then parallell each set of 4 to up the MaH to be suitable for your needs. The charging bit would be worst tho as i think youre right in that throwing 14v at them from the charging system would likely make them overheat and subsequently explode. i wouldnt risk trying to wire this kind of thing up yourself, sounds like bad news

Lol, I  was thinking it seemed very complex with everything I  was reading and playing with that kind of electricity and safely kinda had me worried. In that case what 12v lithium battery for car audio application would suffice 5000watts rms that isn't  going to cost a ton of money. What would be the lithium equivalent of the xs d3400?

To use 18650s you would need a 14v charging system that could charge to 15v otherwise you would under charge then and waste potential.

Lithium iron phosphate batteries are 12v rated and charge well at 14.4v 

You can find some on Ebay but who knows exactly how well they will work in an audio system. Should work well.

I'm tempted to get a pair of the 110ah to put in my tool box as extra energy for a winch and invertor

110ah ones are expensive. I read that the lithiums are picky about working voltage and operating temperature that damages life of battery. So not sure now about adding one to the trunk on the thought of damaging this thing that's  gonna cost more than my amps combined.

What good brand lithiums are affordable cuz limitless and others like it even xs powers new one are way to much.

110ah ones are expensive. I read that the lithiums are picky about working voltage and operating temperature that damages life of battery. So not sure now about adding one to the trunk on the thought of damaging this thing that's  gonna cost more than my amps combined.
I was looking at the Ebay ones. I dont need speed, I need capacity. Drawing 400amps with a winch my 2 80ah agms dont like it much. I'll eventually get a ho alt but I dont really use much power continuously. 

I'm only running 120amps worth of subs and 50amp on highs. Factory alt is a 220amp so I dont drop much

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.