its cheap, but is it that bad?

youdoofus

Skibidi
so, we all know we get folks in here all the time looking for an inexpensive bass solution.  Im just curious about how bad off people would be getting something like this for under $400. Mr Blankenship just showed on his most recent youtube vid that the amp in this kit makes good power, albeit missing some silicone around the torroids. $5 fix and should be in business as long as its also not mounted to the box.

I also know some of you are going to basically be in an ALL CAPS RAGE about prefab boxes, but for under 400, is this such a bad option?

https://www.audiosavings.com/rockville-w15k6d4-v2-15-4000w-subwoofer-vented-sub-box-mono-amplifier-amp-kit

Sub is weird -- EBP makes it look like a sealed box or HUGE ported box sub.

It plots OK sealed, big.

Ported -- if you assume it's tuned high like most prefab's (~40?) it will be peaky at 50-60hz, dropping about 8dB from 56 to 35hz.  That might work out ok if there's some cabin gain in the lower freq's.

I could see mechanical issues if you're trying to blast Techmaster (mid 30's and down).

Decent amp, decent sub (it seems), functional box -- for $360 shipped seems like it would be hard to lose if you're looking for a budget 15" set up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sub is weird -- EBP makes it look like a sealed box or HUGE ported box sub.

It plots OK sealed, big.

Ported -- if you assume it's tuned high like most prefab's (~40?) it will be peaky at 50-60hz, dropping about 8dB from 56 to 35hz.  That might work out ok if there's some cabin gain in the lower freq's.

I could see mechanical issues if you're trying to blast Techmaster (mid 30's and down).

Decent amp, decent sub (it seems), functional box -- for $360 shipped seems like it would be hard to lose if you're looking for a budget 15" set up.
that was my thought too. just thinking of the influx of newbs on here that might benefit from these cheap packages as long as theyre properly warned about the possibility of it crapping out as its a very entry level package

An amp with loose parts is not ok
thats why i was talking about the silicone. 

Ehh. Could do two FU 300 12s, Rockville DB14, KNU 0 gauge BASSIK kit, wood/glue/screws or even a prefab for $365.
this is why i was posting this. wasnt sure if there was a better option for the $$. just trying to lay out some stuff for the newbs that come on here and ask what to get for around $400 or so

Yeah, like the brand new board I got in my bass 12k that had a f*****g loose cap in it. Had to pull the whole board out and solder it back in from the bottom. Pain in the ass
yeah, its a shame that the amps are like that. if they get their build house to secure that sh1t down properly, then theyd be a steal for the price. The older kiddo is driving now and i have a pair of walmart kicker 10"s in a dual branded bandpass and i have that alpine mono hooked up to it. It bumps, but its all stuff scavenged from trades and so forth

AB DX 10s or 12s or Blaupunkt 10s or 12s ($50-$118)

AP APMI 1k amp  ($110)

KNU or Sky High 4ga ofc kit ($62-65)

Leftover $$ for box with a $350 budget ($65-$110)

I would do the Blau 10s with a self made custom ported box for a total of about $275 assuming $50 material costs.

Last edited by a moderator:
thats why i was talking about the silicone. 

this is why i was posting this. wasnt sure if there was a better option for the $$. just trying to lay out some stuff for the newbs that come on here and ask what to get for around $400 or so
i'd even say swap the rockville for pioneer 8601 or 9601 not lot $ diff + 2 fu 300 or alpine s or 1 fu750, sa or similar.. it's the box that cost  unless they can make a good one

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.