port fitting difficulty, help please!

Participant count
  • Participant list

mestapho

So I am designing a 38 x 13 x 21.75 box (external including double front baffle) for 2 SA12 dual 4's

net after subs and port is 3.8 cubes tuned to 33.5 (sundown says 35 hz, forums I'm seeing 32 so split the difference) 

4 x 11.5 x 21 center port.  

1200 watts from Pioneer 9601.

Here's the issue,  If I stop the ports to make turns to the sides of the box, half the port width, 2" from the rear wall, the center measurement over 21 inches (22.75") just with the width of the port wall.

Is it fine how it is? Should I change it, if so what/how? 

Any advice is much appreciated.

Port problems 2 sa12s.jpg

When it's close and I want to extend the port a bit to add a bend, I do something like this...

TCLaFg.jpg

It adds length to the portwall needed... I'll just adjust the external measurements a touch to account for the shrinkage in volume. Then once I re-dimension it (volumes & end corrected port length) and put the #'s in Winisd I'm usually close... if I want it perfect at that point I just resize one dimension until I get the volume/tune desired.

When it's close and I want to extend the port a bit to add a bend, I do something like this...

It adds length to the portwall needed... I'll just adjust the external measurements a touch to account for the shrinkage in volume. Then once I re-dimension it (volumes & end corrected port length) and put the #'s in Winisd I'm usually close... if I want it perfect at that point I just resize one dimension until I get the volume/tune desired.
That's a good idea, thanks!

That's a good idea, thanks!
Yeah... too much of a good idea can make a headache tho... sometimes it's just easier to tune 1-2 hz over what you were after originally or close-up the port area a bit if you got the wiggle room. But I usually get all stoopid and try to hit the volume/tune I was after.

I love Sketchup for rechecking port length and volumes... beats the hell out of a box calculator

TCIP5b.jpg

Sometimes I'll add roundovers to shorten the length as well... I suppose it all depends on how close the volume/tune ends-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding the beveled peak on that back wall will help with airflow, I almost always add it in and if I can I'll roundover the portwall , even if it's 3/8" its easy to extrude the part to hit the length needed... what gave me trouble was Aeros, still do but I'm starting to get the hang of it... finding exact displacements for them is a "B" tho... h*ll... drawing one is hard enough...

RKZAme.jpg

Maybe someday I'll get the hang of it.

Nice, It is a fun program to play with.  
Yeah... I'm getting better at making whatever I draw-up look nice, it's a double edged sword sometimes... as building it might turn into a real project. 

Sh*t like this may look great, sound nice and all but to build it and make it look good may be another thing entirely

l86PMq.jpg

Like I'm ever gonna put that in my Honda... I wanted to, but reality set in... I sure love playing around tho.

Probably just do a pair of Sa-15's on 3K, that ^^^ might end-up getting expensive.

All those years, and I never tried to learn this program... took some unwanted spare time (stroke) to get me started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goofin around, I felt that a single baffle would suffice for your power... 

KsxEHr.jpg

I increased the port area a tiny bit, got a lil' more volume and did the port how I was talking about. Take a look and tell me you'll need a 1.5" thick baffle on 1200 watts with that box (No big panels)... IMO that'd be fine for your amp.

Cutting the baffle for the port is not how I usually do it but the height makes it kinda necessary.

Anyways... that's how I solved the port issue... add that piece on the back wall... it shortens the port, lost the extra baffles, the extra volume makes the added port length easy to do (oh... I added 1/2" to depth)... Think this'll be easy to build... lol... It seems unless I start out to keep it simple, they start to become projects.

See I'm the opposite. I can build whatever I have in my mind... but I cant always draw it in sketchup.

When I built my custom center console for my yukon, I drew it probably 75% close to what it came out to be. But the final product turned out way better.

Same thing for my new sierra, I know how to build the box I want with all the curves, but drawing it to spec isnt going to happen lol...

Now your standard rectangle, or angled, or similar box I can draw and build.

See I'm the opposite. I can build whatever I have in my mind... but I cant always draw it in sketchup.

When I built my custom center console for my yukon, I drew it probably 75% close to what it came out to be. But the final product turned out way better.

Same thing for my new sierra, I know how to build the box I want with all the curves, but drawing it to spec isnt going to happen lol...

Now your standard rectangle, or angled, or similar box I can draw and build.

Example below

Console https://imgur.com/gallery/aPhaKYJ

Console https://imgur.com/gallery/cE9udMD

Goofin around, I felt that a single baffle would suffice for your power... 

I increased the port area a tiny bit, got a lil' more volume and did the port how I was talking about. Take a look and tell me you'll need a 1.5" thick baffle on 1200 watts with that box (No big panels)... IMO that'd be fine for your amp.

Cutting the baffle for the port is not how I usually do it but the height makes it kinda necessary.

Anyways... that's how I solved the port issue... add that piece on the back wall... it shortens the port, lost the extra baffles, the extra volume makes the added port length easy to do (oh... I added 1/2" to depth)... Think this'll be easy to build... lol... It seems unless I start out to keep it simple, they start to become projects.
Nice!  I was thinking the double baffle was overkill as well, but I also like it for flush mounting the subs.   I agree about cutting the port out of the front baffle but it is what it is.   I’ll play with it some more tonight. 

In the space you are working with, power you got (1000 watts fo 2 sa's) and other concerns... I'd really use a round for efficiency and hitting that volume you really want (close to 4ft3 net).

A SDR-35 riser pipe is 5.9 ID, sold in 2' sections by HD and about $8. 

This ought to really do well, nice and musical with good output...

GwdbxO.jpg

I'd consider doing something like that ^^^ if it was me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.