Dayton RSS265HO-4 vs UM10-22

Participant count
  • Participant list

dennismv

Michigan
What is the difference between the two Dayton subs below?

• Dayton Reference Series RSS265HO-4
  • Dayton Ultimax Series UM10-22
I am interested in building a system aimed for quality and thinking of having them be put into a sealed enclosure with 2 or 3 subs.

I note that one is high output and another one costs a bit more and looks bigger.  How do I decide which one is best for my application?

According to Dayton tech support, Reference is more musical, Ultimax focuses on low frequency applications, like home theaters, but both are good for home or audio.

According to Dayton tech support, Reference is more musical, Ultimax focuses on low frequency applications, like home theaters, but both are good for home or audio.
Yes, that is correct. They can both be used in car or home application but they both have drastically different box requirements. The reference can stay very linear while being in a small enclosure and can take a bit more power. Very good choice for small spaces that you just simply can't fit a big box. The low frequency on this sub is not very efficient though so you need to port this sub in order to bring alive the lows, but even in a small sealed box, it can still hit frequencies from across the board effortlessly. The ultimax is a great sub that focuses on low frequencies but requires a much bigger box to do so, mainly used in home theater but I have seen these in cars as well. It's more efficient with power but would require atleast double the size box than the reference to make it sound the best. So I would ask myself.. how important is low frequency? How important is space? 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.