Removing Sound Deadening Material

Participant count
  • Participants list

M3Gonz

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm going to be working on a big install on what will soon be a "collector" quality vehicle that may someday end up going back to stock if I ever get tempted to sell it.  ('99 E36 M3 with 31k miles, in showroom condition)  I'm going for sound quality, not a competition level vehicle, and I won't be adding anything that will alter the stock locations and brackets.

My question is this:  If I were to do a full sound treatment to the trunk of the vehicle, with a material such as Dynamat or the Stinger material, how hard would it be to remove it and all the residue at a later date, such as a few years from now?  While much of it wouldn't be visable, some of it, such as the spare tire well, is quite visable and no matter how I try, it simply doesn't look awesome and I can imagine would take away from the value of a vehicle (unless they're an audiophile).

Thanks!

Dont even deaden just decouple with some weather strip foam if you are worried about rattles. I'd turn the door into a speaker enclosure with MLV and decouple with closed cell foam at the very least if you want actual SQ. 

Sound deadening will devalue your car for sure if you're trying to sell it as a collector's car. Add things that will be removable like what jeff suggested. To give you an idea of what it takes to remove this stuff... well I removed some old dynamat that was on my previous car. I had it on the trunk for a few years during that time so it was stuck on there good. You can tell this stuff wasn't meant to be taken out. I ripped it all out anyway and all this black residue was stuck on there. I first tried goo gone, didn't work very well.. Then moved on to WD-40, worked a little better.. It took forever trying to scrub all that stuff off though so I eventually used something more industrial, Goof Off.. and it worked really well but it was a little too strong and thinned the paint while doing so. Still took me a very long time to get it nice and clean. Maybe 2 weeks total doing little by little everyday. The whole reason I did this was because when I did it the first time, I just put one fat layer of dynamat and called it a day. I was a total noob at the time and didn't know any better. As my system got louder, so did my rattles so I had to do the whole process over and went through every crevice to make sure there wasn't any weak spots. Point of the story is don't do any deadening if you plan on removing it later on. 

Ive used a heat gun and a nice razor blade scrapper before. worked well.Took some time but turned out just fine getting the layers off quickly.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.