Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
boltnut55

Need Rec for New Head Unit

Recommended Posts

I want to replace my stereo because I want something w/better sound, mostly clearer radio and more bass but procrastinating because I don't know what to get.  The local shop recommended the Sony XAV-XA5000 (approx. $400), but it doesn't have a CD player... has that easy touch screen feature, extra bass, Android/Apple Play - all stuff I want but no CD player, and I'm not quite ready to give that up yet.  I can't see myself taking the time to put all my music on my phone.  Do you have better recommendations?  Not sure what other info you need.

He also suggested the Memphis subwoofer (in a box in my trunk).  Not sure if I should change the head unit first and then add the sub or do both at the same time.  This is probably my biggest purchase this year, so I want to make sure I won't be disappointed. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2018 at 8:28 AM, boltnut55 said:

I want to replace my stereo because I want something w/better sound, mostly clearer radio and more bass but procrastinating because I don't know what to get.  The local shop recommended the Sony XAV-XA5000 (approx. $400), but it doesn't have a CD player... has that easy touch screen feature, extra bass, Android/Apple Play - all stuff I want but no CD player, and I'm not quite ready to give that up yet.  I can't see myself taking the time to put all my music on my phone.  Do you have better recommendations?  Not sure what other info you need.

He also suggested the Memphis subwoofer (in a box in my trunk).  Not sure if I should change the head unit first and then add the sub or do both at the same time.  This is probably my biggest purchase this year, so I want to make sure I won't be disappointed. Thanks!

whats the year/make/model?

 

(its the car audio version of age/sex/location LOLOL!!)

Edited by youdoofus

2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)

2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff

Front stage:PRV Audio 6MB200 6.5 and Massive Audio CT2 tweeters

Rear speakers: stock

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say a new headunit would be the best upgrade for you if you had to choose between headunit and sub. You already have a sub and box so might as well use that until the next upgrade. Unless you're a huge basshead and care about that more, then go right ahead. These days most headunits don't come with a CD player because almost 99% of us don't use it anymore. Do you have a huge CD collection that you don't wanna give up? Are you opposed to the idea of converting all your songs to a high quality digital platform? If you specifically want a CD player, it's gonna add to the cost. Think of the time you'll be saving fumbling around your CDs when you can skip to next album with a click of a button. I have a CD player in all my cars but I rarely ever use them. I would look into Alpine and Pioneer as a starting point and compare other brands with it. 


2009 Scion TC

HU: Alpine INA-W910

Processor: Alpine PXA-H800

Amps: B2 Audio Zero.5R - Zapco Z-150.4LX - Zapco Z-150.2LX

Front Stage: New front stage TBA~, JL ZR800's

Subs: 4 10" Dayton HO's 3.2 cu ft @ 30hz

Electrical: Singer 320a, XS D2400, Juicebox Lithium 20ah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

stupid edit button doesn't work. I misread, I thought you had a sub already. Either way starting with a good signal is the best place to start a sound system. Do more research on sub and custom box so you can make your purchase of the year count. 


2009 Scion TC

HU: Alpine INA-W910

Processor: Alpine PXA-H800

Amps: B2 Audio Zero.5R - Zapco Z-150.4LX - Zapco Z-150.2LX

Front Stage: New front stage TBA~, JL ZR800's

Subs: 4 10" Dayton HO's 3.2 cu ft @ 30hz

Electrical: Singer 320a, XS D2400, Juicebox Lithium 20ah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, blazian87 said:

 These days most headunits don't come with a CD player because almost 99% of us don't use it anymore. 

i use mine for..... uhhhhh, well, im not even sure if i have a disc in it atm. maybe for the pronz while driving? Big Tymers style

  • Haha 1

2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)

2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff

Front stage:PRV Audio 6MB200 6.5 and Massive Audio CT2 tweeters

Rear speakers: stock

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, youdoofus said:

i use mine for..... uhhhhh, well, im not even sure if i have a disc in it atm. maybe for the pronz while driving? Big Tymers style

lmao that's why I said CD. When it comes to video that's a different story completely lol. priorities.. 

  • Haha 1

2009 Scion TC

HU: Alpine INA-W910

Processor: Alpine PXA-H800

Amps: B2 Audio Zero.5R - Zapco Z-150.4LX - Zapco Z-150.2LX

Front Stage: New front stage TBA~, JL ZR800's

Subs: 4 10" Dayton HO's 3.2 cu ft @ 30hz

Electrical: Singer 320a, XS D2400, Juicebox Lithium 20ah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, blazian87 said:

lmao that's why I said CD. When it comes to video that's a different story completely lol. priorities.. 

BAAAHAHAHAHA!! good point sir!!


2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)

2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff

Front stage:PRV Audio 6MB200 6.5 and Massive Audio CT2 tweeters

Rear speakers: stock

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:10 AM, youdoofus said:

whats the year/make/model?

 

(its the car audio version of age/sex/location LOLOL!!)

It's a 2017 Subaru WRX.

Blazian87:  Have probably over 100 CDs (large in my eyes but maybe not others), also lazy/no time/not priority to put on my phone... which is also a company phone, so it's probably worth the money to skip that task, lol.

Edited by boltnut55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, boltnut55 said:

It's a 2017 Subaru WRX.

Blazian87:  Have probably over 100 CDs (large in my eyes but maybe not others), also lazy/no time/not priority to put on my phone... which is also a company phone, so it's probably worth the money to skip that task, lol.

Rip your CDs (yes, it's worth the time) and upload them to Google play music. You can stream the content from your phone and also download it to your phone and when you factory reset it, it all gets wiped. The app even let you save it to external storage. Rip it at 320 kbps and you'll be fine. Also, it's perfectly legal to torrent anything that you own a hard copy of


2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)

2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff

Front stage:PRV Audio 6MB200 6.5 and Massive Audio CT2 tweeters

Rear speakers: stock

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, youdoofus said:

Rip your CDs (yes, it's worth the time) and upload them to Google play music. You can stream the content from your phone and also download it to your phone and when you factory reset it, it all gets wiped. The app even let you save it to external storage. Rip it at 320 kbps and you'll be fine. Also, it's perfectly legal to torrent anything that you own a hard copy of

I miss my CDs ,broken cases, CDs in the wrong case,scratches,the big caring case,15$ for a new CD that sucks but ya didn't know till ya listened to it. Oh the good ol days. Get off my lawn with that down loading shit.

  • Haha 1

2006 ridgeline hu:KW ddx9903s morel 5.25 maximo comps 6.5 maximo coaxial 2 type r 8s separate .56 box @37 hz amp Rf t1000x5ab.

 

work truck 2017 international pro star Alpine 163 hu. Amp RF t 1000x5ab. 2 morel Maximo 10" subs separate boxes 1.1 CF @32 hz. 2 8 " eminence woofers. 2" Dayton rs52fn midrange. 1 1/8 Dayton dc28f silk dome tweeters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, fithwheel said:

I miss my CDs ,broken cases, CDs in the wrong case,scratches,the big caring case,15$ for a new CD that sucks but ya didn't know till ya listened to it. Oh the good ol days. Get off my lawn with that down loading shit.

I still have all my CDs, about 600 or so. Hell, I have 63 Metallica CDs alone lol wanna see what kind of pita broken CD cases can be? Look up Henry Rollins double disc called "human butt" the case is hinged on both sides and very thin and many of his double disc sets are like that. Cool idea, and none of mine have broken, but you have to be so careful with them


2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)

2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff

Front stage:PRV Audio 6MB200 6.5 and Massive Audio CT2 tweeters

Rear speakers: stock

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, youdoofus said:

I still have all my CDs, about 600 or so. Hell, I have 63 Metallica CDs alone lol wanna see what kind of pita broken CD cases can be? Look up Henry Rollins double disc called "human butt" the case is hinged on both sides and very thin and many of his double disc sets are like that. Cool idea, and none of mine have broken, but you have to be so careful with them

That's a lot of 12 CDs for a penny contracts. Wait a second how many copies of the same Metallica cd does that come out to?


2006 ridgeline hu:KW ddx9903s morel 5.25 maximo comps 6.5 maximo coaxial 2 type r 8s separate .56 box @37 hz amp Rf t1000x5ab.

 

work truck 2017 international pro star Alpine 163 hu. Amp RF t 1000x5ab. 2 morel Maximo 10" subs separate boxes 1.1 CF @32 hz. 2 8 " eminence woofers. 2" Dayton rs52fn midrange. 1 1/8 Dayton dc28f silk dome tweeters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fithwheel said:

That's a lot of 12 CDs for a penny contracts. Wait a second how many copies of the same Metallica cd does that come out to?

LOL!!! i used to be a huge fan back in the day. I have imports, bootlegs, singles, japanese copies of albums that have extra tracks etc etc


2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)

2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff

Front stage:PRV Audio 6MB200 6.5 and Massive Audio CT2 tweeters

Rear speakers: stock

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, youdoofus said:

LOL!!! i used to be a huge fan back in the day. I have imports, bootlegs, singles, japanese copies of albums that have extra tracks etc etc

that makes more sense.


2006 ridgeline hu:KW ddx9903s morel 5.25 maximo comps 6.5 maximo coaxial 2 type r 8s separate .56 box @37 hz amp Rf t1000x5ab.

 

work truck 2017 international pro star Alpine 163 hu. Amp RF t 1000x5ab. 2 morel Maximo 10" subs separate boxes 1.1 CF @32 hz. 2 8 " eminence woofers. 2" Dayton rs52fn midrange. 1 1/8 Dayton dc28f silk dome tweeters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's free & easy!

Register a new FREE account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×