Need Rec for New Head Unit

Participant count
  • Participants list

boltnut55

CarAudio.com Newbie
I want to replace my stereo because I want something w/better sound, mostly clearer radio and more bass but procrastinating because I don't know what to get.  The local shop recommended the Sony XAV-XA5000 (approx. $400), but it doesn't have a CD player... has that easy touch screen feature, extra bass, Android/Apple Play - all stuff I want but no CD player, and I'm not quite ready to give that up yet.  I can't see myself taking the time to put all my music on my phone.  Do you have better recommendations?  Not sure what other info you need.

He also suggested the Memphis subwoofer (in a box in my trunk).  Not sure if I should change the head unit first and then add the sub or do both at the same time.  This is probably my biggest purchase this year, so I want to make sure I won't be disappointed. Thanks!

I want to replace my stereo because I want something w/better sound, mostly clearer radio and more bass but procrastinating because I don't know what to get.  The local shop recommended the Sony XAV-XA5000 (approx. $400), but it doesn't have a CD player... has that easy touch screen feature, extra bass, Android/Apple Play - all stuff I want but no CD player, and I'm not quite ready to give that up yet.  I can't see myself taking the time to put all my music on my phone.  Do you have better recommendations?  Not sure what other info you need.

He also suggested the Memphis subwoofer (in a box in my trunk).  Not sure if I should change the head unit first and then add the sub or do both at the same time.  This is probably my biggest purchase this year, so I want to make sure I won't be disappointed. Thanks!
whats the year/make/model?

(its the car audio version of age/sex/location LOLOL!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say a new headunit would be the best upgrade for you if you had to choose between headunit and sub. You already have a sub and box so might as well use that until the next upgrade. Unless you're a huge basshead and care about that more, then go right ahead. These days most headunits don't come with a CD player because almost 99% of us don't use it anymore. Do you have a huge CD collection that you don't wanna give up? Are you opposed to the idea of converting all your songs to a high quality digital platform? If you specifically want a CD player, it's gonna add to the cost. Think of the time you'll be saving fumbling around your CDs when you can skip to next album with a click of a button. I have a CD player in all my cars but I rarely ever use them. I would look into Alpine and Pioneer as a starting point and compare other brands with it. 

stupid edit button doesn't work. I misread, I thought you had a sub already. Either way starting with a good signal is the best place to start a sound system. Do more research on sub and custom box so you can make your purchase of the year count. 

whats the year/make/model?

(its the car audio version of age/sex/location LOLOL!!)
It's a 2017 Subaru WRX.

Blazian87:  Have probably over 100 CDs (large in my eyes but maybe not others), also lazy/no time/not priority to put on my phone... which is also a company phone, so it's probably worth the money to skip that task, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a 2017 Subaru WRX.

Blazian87:  Have probably over 100 CDs (large in my eyes but maybe not others), also lazy/no time/not priority to put on my phone... which is also a company phone, so it's probably worth the money to skip that task, lol.
Rip your CDs (yes, it's worth the time) and upload them to Google play music. You can stream the content from your phone and also download it to your phone and when you factory reset it, it all gets wiped. The app even let you save it to external storage. Rip it at 320 kbps and you'll be fine. Also, it's perfectly legal to torrent anything that you own a hard copy of

Rip your CDs (yes, it's worth the time) and upload them to Google play music. You can stream the content from your phone and also download it to your phone and when you factory reset it, it all gets wiped. The app even let you save it to external storage. Rip it at 320 kbps and you'll be fine. Also, it's perfectly legal to torrent anything that you own a hard copy of
I miss my CDs ,broken cases, CDs in the wrong case,scratches,the big caring case,15$ for a new CD that ***** but ya didn't know till ya listened to it. Oh the good ol days. Get off my lawn with that down loading ****.

I miss my CDs ,broken cases, CDs in the wrong case,scratches,the big caring case,15$ for a new CD that ***** but ya didn't know till ya listened to it. Oh the good ol days. Get off my lawn with that down loading ****.
I still have all my CDs, about 600 or so. Hell, I have 63 Metallica CDs alone lol wanna see what kind of pita broken CD cases can be? Look up Henry Rollins double disc called "human butt" the case is hinged on both sides and very thin and many of his double disc sets are like that. Cool idea, and none of mine have broken, but you have to be so careful with them

I still have all my CDs, about 600 or so. Hell, I have 63 Metallica CDs alone lol wanna see what kind of pita broken CD cases can be? Look up Henry Rollins double disc called "human butt" the case is hinged on both sides and very thin and many of his double disc sets are like that. Cool idea, and none of mine have broken, but you have to be so careful with them
That's a lot of 12 CDs for a penny contracts. Wait a second how many copies of the same Metallica cd does that come out to?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.