Good cheap tweeters

Jeremy11

So I will go on record as saying that I don't have near the experience or knowledge that most of you guys have. I was ordering some items from parts express and on a whim I purchased a pair of visaton tweeters. I will attempt to post the link. Anyway I swapped them out with my existing tweeters(Rockford t1) and my high end came alive. I was very impressed at the sound from these guys. I think I will keep them instead of the Rockfords. Well like I said I'm no expert but these are worth the $20 they cost. https://www.parts-express.com/visaton-sc5-8-shielded-1-2-polycarbonate-tweeter-8-ohm--292-552. Hopefully that's link works for anyone interested.

So I will go on record as saying that I don't have near the experience or knowledge that most of you guys have. I was ordering some items from parts express and on a whim I purchased a pair of visaton tweeters. I will attempt to post the link. Anyway I swapped them out with my existing tweeters(Rockford t1) and my high end came alive. I was very impressed at the sound from these guys. I think I will keep them instead of the Rockfords. Well like I said I'm no expert but these are worth the $20 they cost. https://www.parts-express.com/visaton-sc5-8-shielded-1-2-polycarbonate-tweeter-8-ohm--292-552. Hopefully that's link works for anyone interested.
you can find sets of massive audio tweets for $50 on amazon and they scream

Yes but no tweeter will ever see more than that on music power alone, RMS anyway + it really depends on where you put the HP filter. Obviously the higher you go, the more the power handling. It can take much more than that short term and don’t forget those ratings are thermal ratings so unless you are into SPL or are putting test tones through your speakers than it won’t matter as much. I actually do not have this model but a similar earlier version they no longer produce with the coated fabric dome and love it’s smooth detailed response and ability to cross low. If you like a bright tweeter such as that from a metal dome tweeter than this tweeter may not be for you. 

These have my attention. Did they come with mounting hardware?how do you have them crossed over and at what frequency?
No mounting hardware. I have mine siliconed in some 1 1/2” conduit pvc caps that I painted and mounted on the pillars. Like mentioned before, on axis is working  for me crossed at 2700. They sound really nice with my silver flutes. 

0E89F78D-9D4F-471E-BB58-1E341E3298DA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but no tweeter will ever see more than that on music power alone, RMS anyway + it really depends on where you put the HP filter. Obviously the higher you go, the more the power handling. It can take much more than that short term and don’t forget those ratings are thermal ratings so unless you are into SPL or are putting test tones through your speakers than it won’t matter as much. I actually do not have this model but a similar earlier version they no longer produce with the coated fabric dome and love it’s smooth detailed response and ability to cross low. If you like a bright tweeter such as that from a metal dome tweeter than this tweeter may not be for you. 
Ok so help me understand. If you put these tweeters on a 100w per channel rms amp they will be ok? My understanding is you would fry the crap out of them.

Looks good. I ordered a set to go with the silver flutes I already ordered. What amp do you have powering them?
Kenwood excelon 900.5. I’m about to put more power on the silver flutes. They sound great but I want to see if I can get a little more out of them. I think they really need about 100 Watts or so to really perform. 

Ok so help me understand. If you put these tweeters on a 100w per channel rms amp they will be ok? My understanding is you would fry the crap out of them.
Yes, because they will not actually get 100 watts rms playing music, not even close. Read this article from Andy that kind of explains it in laymen’s terms. https://www.audiofrog.com/community/tech-tips/pink-noise-white-noise-and-why-your-tweeters-never-get-150-watts/

I do this all the time. I have an amplifier capable of 125 watts rms connected speakers rated for 15 watts RMS but they draw much, much, less power. You have to be smart with the volume and set your gain by ear relative to the subwoofer volume. Subwoofers/bass frequencies take all the power, tweeters do not. I laugh when I hear people say they are sending 200 watts to their tweeters. Just because the amplifier is capable of doing it doesn’t mean it does. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.