3 subwoofer wiring help

Participant count
  • Participants list

L1ttlet

CarAudio.com Regular
I currently have two re audio sxx dvc 4ohm subs. I am wanting to add a 3rd and will be building a custom box and want two inverted and 1 in regularly. I know that i can have the 3 4ohm dvc wired down to .67 ohm load. Here's  the problem I  will need to have one of these on reverse polarity. So maybe wire 2 of them to a final 1ohm load and the second to a 2ohm load and then  up to the monoblock wolfram audio 3000.1 amp and should get a final impedance of 1.5 ohms?? I'd  be okay with that ohm load as it is not going to damage amp. Contacted wolfram already and was told that the .67 ohm load will void warranty (duh) but should be find given the correct electrical. Just what I  thought. Neways would that way of having those connected to amp make the drivers all put out the same and will this damage the subs or the amp? They will all be sharing air space.  Only have room for the 3 subs and 3 sub setups are unique. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I  have found nothing on this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't run 3 subs just because of the oddness of final ohm load. What size subs are we talking about here and what vehicle they going in? Btw, good choice on that amp. I have the same one.

010.jpg

Thank you. Yeah it's  a great amp. Been in the trunk all summer long in Texas heat a never overheated. This will be for a suv. Okay so the final ohm with one inverted would be 1.5 ohm I  think. Will it harm the amp or subs or drive one more than others? Being that one set will be wired to 1ohm and the other at 2ohm to the monoblock one on each input.

Wiring 3 subs that way described sounds like a .67 load to me... paralleling 2 subs at 2 ohm ea. for a 1 ohm load and then wiring direct the third at 2 ohm to the amp (monoblock) sounds like a .67 ohm load to me, no matter the polarity of the third it's gonna be like 3 2 ohm drivers, now going series on the coils will of the third will raise the load a bit but distribute the power unevenly so that's a non-starter. IDK I'm kinda confused by the 1st post, and maybe reading it wrong... but by all accounts if you got the electrical to support that amp I really don't see why you'd avoid the .67 load as supposedly they can be wired down a bit and do well. That said... it is rated into 1 ohm and it is the manufacturers recommendation of a 1 ohm minimum load. But with those subs I'd (personally) wire it down as sounds like you'll need the power.

I'd parallel all 3 if you go that route (reverse the polarity of the inverted driver)... that's parallel all coils (D4's?) and parallel all drivers, Otherwise I'd stick to 2 and try to optimize the enclosure/install and keep the 1 ohm load to meet your goals... 2-12's can do just fine if done right. 

Oh... to clarify... it's a monoblock amp, that second set of speaker terminals is on the same channel.

Wiring 3 subs that way described sounds like a .67 load to me... paralleling 2 subs at 2 ohm ea. for a 1 ohm load and then wiring direct the third at 2 ohm to the amp (monoblock) sounds like a .67 ohm load to me, no matter the polarity of the third it's gonna be like 3 2 ohm drivers, now going series on the coils will of the third will raise the load a bit but distribute the power unevenly so that's a non-starter. IDK I'm kinda confused by the 1st post, and maybe reading it wrong... but by all accounts if you got the electrical to support that amp I really don't see why you'd avoid the .67 load as supposedly they can be wired down a bit and do well. That said... it is rated into 1 ohm and it is the manufacturers recommendation of a 1 ohm minimum load. But with those subs I'd (personally) wire it down as sounds like you'll need the power.

I'd parallel all 3 if you go that route (reverse the polarity of the inverted driver)... that's parallel all coils (D4's?) and parallel all drivers, Otherwise I'd stick to 2 and try to optimize the enclosure/install and keep the 1 ohm load to meet your goals... 2-12's can do just fine if done right. 
Oh okay, that makes sense. I guess my math may be off a bit. I was thinking that I  take the 2, ohms wire down to 1 ohm and the connect to one input on amp. Then yake the other 4 ohm and wire to 2 ohms and connect to other input on amp. So that would equal 3 ohms if you add those two together and then cut in half as it is monoblock and leave ypu with a final 1 ohm load. I do see what your saying with the .67 and that makes way more since wiring them all in and the one regular sub in middle, just  wire in reverse polarity and then would get almost double watts at that .67 ohm. Thank you for your help.

Oh... to clarify... it's a monoblock amp, that second set of speaker terminals is on the same channel.
^^^ this ^^^

Thank you. Yeah it's  a great amp. Been in the trunk all summer long in Texas heat a never overheated. This will be for a suv. Okay so the final ohm with one inverted would be 1.5 ohm I  think. Will it harm the amp or subs or drive one more than others? Being that one set will be wired to 1ohm and the other at 2ohm to the monoblock one on each input.
see above LoL

Oh okay, that makes sense. I guess my math may be off a bit. I was thinking that I  take the 2, ohms wire down to 1 ohm and the connect to one input on amp. Then yake the other 4 ohm and wire to 2 ohms and connect to other input on amp. So that would equal 3 ohms if you add those two together and then cut in half as it is monoblock and leave ypu with a final 1 ohm load. I do see what your saying with the .67 and that makes way more since wiring them all in and the one regular sub in middle, just  wire in reverse polarity and then would get almost double watts at that .67 ohm. Thank you for your help.
most of these newer amps can handle well below the lowest recommended impedance, but bumper beware, if your electrical system in your vehicle isnt capable of supplying enough juice, you can kiss your amp goodbye. What kind of power wire you planning on running on this 3 sub setup?

also, yeah, the 2 +'s and 2-'s all couple back to the same place inside the amp. They only put two of each on the amp to make it easier to wire up more than one sub

3-12's anymore is a little unique that's for sure... I liked my last 3-12 setup, tuned LOW it dug like a miner for what it was...

sizegdM.jpg

I had it at 2.66 ohm strapped and it did fine... but going to 2 subs @ 1 ohm in a better box was a BIG improvement.

n1R2oS2.jpg

Not quite the low-end but close and a LOT louder... lol... it's all in the enclosure IMO

^^^ this ^^^

see above LoL
Ok so they would see the same .67ohm load. Yes same channelon amp just 2 inputs. 

Have a xs power d 3400 battery. Going to be running class m 3/0 welding wire. 34awg strands. So pretty flexible. That will be running to the cap (rocksford 10 farad) only there to take a lil strain of battery on the deep bass hits. in the trunk for now and grounding with that wire. Then the 3/0 for the big 4 upgrade and then a 260 ho alternator. Max wattage my system will be seeing is maybe 4000watts rms. Then from cap dual 1/0 inputs two amp just for looks. Subs will maybe ever see 1000watt rms a piece as they are going to be in about 15% larger enclosure than specs.

That's  a nice setup. Very unique indeed. How thick did you go on box and the side holding the amps? Like the cab amps. Those are nice. 

Actually it was single .75" materials all around for both enclosures... the countersunk one was only beauty paneled. I had no issues with apparent flex with the either one... my actual 1st 3-12 setup was my first build...not pictured... after a major stroke and it did detach internally... poor assembly, loss of motor skills... killing a CAB in the process with vibration as I had it mounted to the enclosure (Duh!). The third attempt was especially rowdy and was 5ft3 net tuned to 30hz, it did ok for a pair of 12's I suppose. But I felt that bracing a single ply would be enough, and it was.

That was amp racked in the pics btw... amps mounted with rubber washers too... I do learn from mistakes.

The only flex I noticed was the poor ol' Blazer dying slowly... lol

Well first off hope your well now and hey ya still got the box built. :)

Sounds like fun. Building boxes are fun, to me anyways. I've  built 3 total so far. Lots of specs to them. Used 5/8 inch mdf and was planning on usinf for the 3 subs as well with triple baffle and the 3rd layer being counter sunk. And lots of bracing with wooden dowels. I was thinking of making the side wall where I'd  mount amps double thick. Like to layers. Then bolting an amp rack onto that with more mdf and rubber between.  May work. 

5 cubes? Was that after displacement? That'd  **** to burn up am amp. Live and learn. Lol.  

That was my first amp rack built all on rubber foots.

20170910_012020.jpg

Up to you... but I'd stick to .75" all around braced with double baffle... you should be fine with that on your power. Overkill is fine I suppose but eats-up available space. What vehicle are you installing this in?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.