2011 Silverado, need sub suggestion

Justin000

Canada
Quick story why I need new subs. My friends subs sound way better than mine, here’s our setups.

-My friend has a set of Sony Xplod 12” subs in the ported Sony box they came in. With a $2 amp from a thrift store that literally looks like it was found at the bottom of an ocean.

- I have a set of new Hertz MP300 subs, each has its own HCP1D amp. In a custom under seat box with matched airspace and it’s a sealed box.

his subs are twice as loud and three times cleaner than mine. In 90% of music, anything  pop, rap, metal, electronic. The only thing my subs sound better with is some classic rock and blues.

I feel like I need a ported box for this reason. But my subs barely fit in my sealed box with a 6.5” mounting depth.

TLDR;

Can anyone point me to a good sub for a small ported box? (1 cf per sub) And where I might be able to buy said ported box?

2011 Silverado crew cab

Thanks

Your subs are better, your amp is better, so work on the setup. No need to buy more **** coz you will still fall short on one of the most important aspects of the setup.

You got a Foxacoustics box IIRC... sealed correct?.. once again, here we go... lol

Am I wrong?
Yeah back to square one. 

I ended up getting the mp300s and a sealed fox box and it sounds decent but not that good.

I don’t remember you, did you have another suggestion?i

Your subs are better, your amp is better, so work on the setup. No need to buy more **** coz you will still fall short on one of the most important aspects of the setup.
l know all my equipment is better, that’s why I’m kind of bummed out lol... and I’m not sure what else I can do to improve my setup. I took his subs and put them on my seat and hooked them up to my amp. His subs still blow mine away.

That leaves the box and the subs in the equation and I’ve wired them 3 times just to make sure I didn’t wire them wrong (checked the wiring with my ohmmeter) and I braced the box with more nails and more caulking.

I feel like it’s a matter of ported vs sealed

I sure might help but that vehicle has a trans hump under the seat doesn't it?.. so you'd have to help me with dimensions to determine what space you got available.

A diagram maybe with h x w x d in inches would be great, unless a prefab is what you're leaning towards, I just cant see an upfiring underseat box sounding any more than so-so, and the depth for those subs will make front firing not doable underseat... that said, have you considered possibly changing subs to something smalller?

Just a thought... because it really sounds like a project to do a ported box with or without some kind of seatlift.

But yes... a ported will definitely put the emphasis where you want it.

What's you crossovers set at?

And what vehicle does your buddy have since if it's not the exact same vehicle you are comparing apples to oranges

Only reason I ask is because I run 2 13inch jl subs on 500w each under the seat of my 13 crewcab in .8cubes each and I can hit mid 20-30hz with some good authority.

My system might not be super loud but its plenty loud enough. 

I’ll post some dimensions today. The box I have is down firing 

My crossover is set at 70hz -24db

Subsonic 15hz -24db

but I’ve tested it at every different crossover point I could.

And he just has a little sedan. But I put his subs in my truck just to test if it was really the subs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they wired to the correct ohm load? Are you stacking the crossovers of the radio with the amps crossovers? 

What does the EQ look like in the low range.

Naturally 2 12s in a ported box should be louder with the fact that the port acts like a 3rd sub and you are at a significant disadvantage in terms of air moving potential. 

As far as sounding good, it sounds like the box is wrong or your setting are. I doubt you are getting 1 cube per sub .8 is about as much as you can get which means your 12s are struggling because your box is too small. You should've went 10s or small box 12s

2ohm load, tested with ohmmeter after I wired. Sub wants 600, amp gives 700@2ohm

Only using my headunits crossover. Amp is set to full pass. (The subsonic is on the amp though) 

low end eq

60hz +2

100hz+1

160hz +0

And I modified the box to fit a massive magnet, I measured it at 1.0cf and after displacement it’s 0.94. The sub recommends 0.953

2ohm load, tested with ohmmeter after I wired. Sub wants 600, amp gives 700@2ohm

Only using my headunits crossover. Amp is set to full pass. (The subsonic is on the amp though) 

low end eq

60hz +2

100hz+1

160hz +0

And I modified the box to fit a massive magnet, I measured it at 1.0cf and after displacement it’s 0.94. The sub recommends 0.953
Personally I'd set the eq at 0 below 80hz fir now.

When you modified the box how much room did you leave for the pole vent yo breath? You know the hole on the back of the sub. If it's to close you might have compression and cavitation issues within the subs motor.

Still I have a hard time believing the subs dont sound good.  Not even at moderate volumes?

Are you absolutely sure the enclosure is sealed and solid since you modified it? A leaky box can cause problems as well. 

We used to see this from time to time when people would try and use press in friction fit terminals

Personally I'd set the eq at 0 below 80hz fir now.

When you modified the box how much room did you leave for the pole vent yo breath? You know the hole on the back of the sub. If it's to close you might have compression and cavitation issues within the subs motor.

Still I have a hard time believing the subs dont sound good.  Not even at moderate volumes?
There’s a bit over a half inch space behind the magnet. There’s also a rubber piece in the middle of my magnet that would hit before sealing the vents. 

Are you absolutely sure the enclosure is sealed and solid since you modified it? A leaky box can cause problems as well. 

We used to see this from time to time when people would try and use press in friction fit terminals
When I modified the box I used PL, then nails, then caulked both sides of the seams. Then I went around the entire box and added probably another 100 nails to the old joints. And two tubes of caulking to inside and outside seams.

and I removed the cup terminal and ran the wires through small holes I drilled, then caulked them in place.

i think the subs might be coming off the box though... It actually sounds a lot better when I hold the edges of the sub down really hard.

i think the subs might be coming off the box though... It actually sounds a lot better when I hold the edges of the sub down really hard.
That will have a big impact. if a sealed box is not completely sealed you can lose significant output.

Also being a sealed prefab you can't expect it to perform like a ported enclosure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.