can someone help me pick out a computer power supply for car amp....

you will not find a computer power supply with a 50A output.  A 50A DC power supply costs hundreds of dollars.  a subwoofer plate amp is a much better solution if high power is required.  You can expect about 100W out of a PC power supply for an amp (at most). 

you will not find a computer power supply with a 50A output.  A 50A DC power supply costs hundreds of dollars.  a subwoofer plate amp is a much better solution if high power is required.  You can expect about 100W out of a PC power supply for an amp (at most). 
Not to go against the point of your statement, but 12v 100dca supplies are much cheaper than they used to be. Around $100 

Just get a home amplifier if you want something for inside. The only time I'd use a car audio amp inside is for testing

Sorry, but this is incorrect. There are many PSUs on the market that will provide in excess of 50A on the +12V rail with ease. I'm sitting here typing this from a PC powered by an EVGA 650 GS, which is capable of 54A (648w) on it's single +12V rail.

That said, I'd personally find a pro amplifier or plate amplifier to use, depending on what you are trying to achieve and what sort of functionality you are after. Quality PSUs aren't cheap. Dayton Audio/BASH offer a nice range of subwoofer plate amplifiers, and pro amps such as the EP or iNUKE range offer very good value for money.

I have an old power supply and tried to wire it up to an amp and get all the stupid wires correct it never worked. I have a powermax ac/dc inverter which is 55amps. They are pretty cheap now. I just  did an upgrade and have an old 4 channel amp and speakers laying around. Gonna hook it up to power supply and see if it works. Instead of a plate amp or expensive pro amp I'd  try the inverter route as they can play speakers and subwoofers at a much lower ohm and give way more options. I am going to hook up the nvx bluetooth receiver. So with powermax inverter + amp + bluetooth receiver = your own 4ohm to 2 ohm stable amp with bluetooth. 

Sorry, but this is incorrect. There are many PSUs on the market that will provide in excess of 50A on the +12V rail with ease. I'm sitting here typing this from a PC powered by an EVGA 650 GS, which is capable of 54A (648w) on it's single +12V rail.

That said, I'd personally find a pro amplifier or plate amplifier to use, depending on what you are trying to achieve and what sort of functionality you are after. Quality PSUs aren't cheap. Dayton Audio/BASH offer a nice range of subwoofer plate amplifiers, and pro amps such as the EP or iNUKE range offer very good value for money.
Good Night!  That's a ton of output!  That's only $100?  send a link!

Good Night!  That's a ton of output!  That's only $100?  send a link!
This particular model is discontinued now, but the 650 G2 is closest in spec (54.1A) and is $89 or so on Amazon

Any high end desktop PSU should be able to deliver its 'rated power' solely on the +12V rail. If it's not '80 Plus' rated, it's most likely garbage. Google 'Super Flower Leadex 2000W'. 166.6A output. Not cheap, of course, and I digress.

This particular model is discontinued now, but the 650 G2 is closest in spec (54.1A) and is $89 or so on Amazon

Any high end desktop PSU should be able to deliver its 'rated power' solely on the +12V rail. If it's not '80 Plus' rated, it's most likely garbage. Google 'Super Flower Leadex 2000W'. 166.6A output. Not cheap, of course, and I digress.
Thanks for the reply.  I haven't seen power supplies with 8 AWG leads on a single +12V output, which drove my comment.  While there is a single 12V rail, are you proposing combining all of the smaller (14-16awg) leads into a single connection?  Should each lead be fused separately? 

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Crossfire-Warranty-120-G2-1600-X1/dp/B00MMLUIE8

Thanks for the reply.  I haven't seen power supplies with 8 AWG leads on a single +12V output, which drove my comment.  While there is a single 12V rail, are you proposing combining all of the smaller (14-16awg) leads into a single connection?  Should each lead be fused separately? 

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Crossfire-Warranty-120-G2-1600-X1/dp/B00MMLUIE8
That is what you'd have to do, but I don't reccomend it. I only mentioned these high power PSUs to let you know they exist  :) Of course, these units will be putting out very close to 12V (mine is currently delivering 12.144V) and our car batteries deliver a couple more volts when running, so it's all far from ideal.

That is what you'd have to do, but I don't reccomend it. I only mentioned these high power PSUs to let you know they exist  :) Of course, these units will be putting out very close to 12V (mine is currently delivering 12.144V) and our car batteries deliver a couple more volts when running, so it's all far from ideal.
Understood.  I should have clarified that I did not know of a computer PS that had a 50A output on a single lead, as opposed to a total for the entire unit with a dozen wires are paralleled. :)

Hi, I'm sorry that I can't help you with power supply. Moreover, I've found a lot of interesting info for me. At least maybe I can help you with the best system optimizer. I've found recently a critical review of PC optimization softwares, so you can find something for your PC. There are differences between programs, pros and cons. Generally, I was simply curious to know more about them. I found a new tool for me at the same time, so I hope that it'll be useful for somebody.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.