CplCuddles

My boss told me to sell my subs or I'll be fired...

10 hours ago, Jeffdachef said:

Looks like you never ventured into how these shops operate and where their profit margins are from.  A majority of their business is wiring remote alarms and tinting. Then its easy simple installs along with overcharged prefabs and marked up prices on mainstream brands or cheap low overhead high marked up junk that the average joe might have heard of is the main cash cows.  The average joe wont know anything about custom enclosures or anything else. They just want some bump* a majority of the times.   

Just imagine the most ignorant close minded noobs we've seen on this forum now they will be 90% of your paying customers. The other 10% will pay for quality.  However a t2 16 marked up to 1500 dollars vs 600 at cost already makes more money than a custom enclosure + sundown sub combined and its an easier sell to those rich ignorant noobs that recognize the RF name vs sundown. Of course they will also want to match the brand name with the amp which the store can also horrifically mark up. 

However it does not excuse the owner from acting like a complete POS. 

Oh, I know how many shops operate these days. One of my local shops has gotten into the sunglasses business...yes, sunglasses. They have a huge display of Oakley's and other high dollar shades now. It's located just beside their "demo room" which is basically a glorified broom closet.
But, any respectable shop will still be willing to do custom work for a price. OP's boss doesn't sound like the type who would even be interested in talking about a nice install. In fact, with that mark up it's hard to figure how the shop sells anything. Especially when you can shop for a better price online. Sounds like their only concern is separating people from their dollar. Instead of building a customer relationship for life the shop owner is happy to get what he can, while he can.

Which brings me to the next question...
OP, you say you need this job for money to pay bills and I certainly respect that. But, as a new employee with limited experience in car audio, I can't imagine you are making a lot of money. So, what are your career goals? Do you want to learn the business and someday open your own shop? Or, are you just interested in one or two aspects of car audio?
The reason I ask is that retail in the brick & mortar setting is a dying sector. Especially aftermarket car audio. It's such a niche market anyway plus, more and more dollars are being spent online. There may be some value in installing remote starters but, soon most all vehicles will come equipped with them from the factory. I just hope you will give some thought to your career 5-10-20 years down the road.

Edited by PPI_GUY

Absolutely State of the Art!

Your state is a one party consent state. Bait him into telling you again that you'll be fired for not running RF while you're secretly recording him. Politely and professionally refuse, and if you end up fired, you now have evidence to use against him. 

It's a matter of principle, not making money. Any good lawyer will take the case on your behalf with this much evidence and you will likely end up with a nice settlement after the fact. When all is said and down, report back, and we'll be happy to leave honest reviews of his shop. 

f**k that guy. Seriously, f**k him legally.

If you want to continue working there and be his bitch for money then so be it, but I highly recommend you start recording the shit he says in case things go south - which they will. You can make the same money for less work by getting a job in private security. Look into it while you still have income and get your security license provided you can pass a background check. Sit on your ass watching youtube videos and bs'ing on forums, or sweat balls installing remote starts with a POS boss. Your choice.

Edited by wew lad

I AM The Future of personal transportation, NOW!!
Pretty sure everyone on this site hates you (@JohnKuthe) more then me and that's very hard to accomplish.

14 hours ago, Popwarhomie said:

I had a shop offer me a job building enclosures because all they did was prefabs at the time. I respectfully declined and he found someone else. None of their builds did a 150... ?   from 9 12s, 4 15s, 2 18s.. None...  ?

olololol.png

That's just sad.. 1 15 and a few thousand watts can do a 150 all day

I AM The Future of personal transportation, NOW!!
Pretty sure everyone on this site hates you (@JohnKuthe) more then me and that's very hard to accomplish.

6 hours ago, CplCuddles said:

You couldn't be more right. The RF is the decent wire. The renegade is what we sell the most.

20180904_095741.jpg

20180904_095757.jpg

9.99 at least they aren’t completely f’ng people over even if it is a shitty cca kit a lot of shops over charge for them 

My wife doesn’t know about my car audio addiction...shhhh

8 hours ago, CplCuddles said:

I dont think he is tbh.

Guess I didn't get the point? He's Muslim? What's that got to do with anything?

2006 ridgeline hu:KW ddx9903s morel 5.25 maximo comps 6.5 maximo coaxial labc 12 2.4 38hz amp Rf t1000x5ab

work truck 2017 international pro star Alpine ute62 hu. Amps RF t1000.5ad 4 ch mode infinity k1000  sa 15 3.5 @ 30hz or 2 type s12 6.3 @ 41 hz  or jbl s3 1.5 42hz. or nvx  vcw 10 1.1 @ 32hz  2 8 " eminence pro woofers. 2" Dayton rs52fn midrange. 1 1/8 Dayton dc28f silk dome tweeters.

Trick him into eating some bacon.

Refs = PapaGeno21, Goindef154, 92c1v1c, Disarmer, chemmins, 97maxima, kroid777, ithertz, basscort2009, hunterw, mar08052, appleyard, millimac247, jonny101abc, sundownz, cranberryyumyum, mig139, daboyfrumdabx, skateguy92, basebalz13.

Don't compromise your personal integrity and make up stories in order to please him. He cannot legally force you to do anything about your personal property, unless you are threatening him with it or doing damage to his property in some way. You have far more legal recourse in this matter than he does. Now, had he taken the proper approach and asked you to consider running the equipment he sells instead of what you currently run, and given you some real incentive to do so in the form of a killer discount, then okay. But he didn't. Guy is a sad, stupid f**k and I would have laughed at him before he got the whole sentence out.

Ask him about his HR department and what the guidelines are for harassment. He will get the hint if he has half a brain. If he doesn't, as many others have suggested, tell him go f**k himself while laughing with complete confidence in your statement. That is, once you have other employment lined up. Get out of there as quick as you can, you are not gaining any valuable experience there.

Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

3 hours ago, wew lad said:

Your state is a one party consent state. Bait him into telling you again that you'll be fired for not running RF while you're secretly recording him. Politely and professionally refuse, and if you end up fired, you now have evidence to use against him. 

It's a matter of principle, not making money. Any good lawyer will take the case on your behalf with this much evidence and you will likely end up with a nice settlement after the fact. When all is said and down, report back, and we'll be happy to leave honest reviews of his shop. 

f**k that guy. Seriously, f**k him legally.

If you want to continue working there and be his bitch for money then so be it, but I highly recommend you start recording the shit he says in case things go south - which they will. You can make the same money for less work by getting a job in private security. Look into it while you still have income and get your security license provided you can pass a background check. Sit on your ass watching youtube videos and bs'ing on forums, or sweat balls installing remote starts with a POS boss. Your choice.

I've thought about recording him. Honestly I like my job, i like installing, I've been doing for other people for a while for free. Now I get paid for it.

02 Chevy Tahoe

Optima Yellowtop up front

Big 3

Mechman Elite 320 amp Alt

Kenwood X599

Crescendo Audio Symphony Coax's

Sundown Audio SAX 100.4 

*NEW* SCV 7500D, currently @4ohm.

Sundown Audio X 12v2 @ 29Hz

25 minutes ago, Slo_Ride said:

Trick him into eating some bacon.

No bacon allowed huh? Not even Canadian?

2006 ridgeline hu:KW ddx9903s morel 5.25 maximo comps 6.5 maximo coaxial labc 12 2.4 38hz amp Rf t1000x5ab

work truck 2017 international pro star Alpine ute62 hu. Amps RF t1000.5ad 4 ch mode infinity k1000  sa 15 3.5 @ 30hz or 2 type s12 6.3 @ 41 hz  or jbl s3 1.5 42hz. or nvx  vcw 10 1.1 @ 32hz  2 8 " eminence pro woofers. 2" Dayton rs52fn midrange. 1 1/8 Dayton dc28f silk dome tweeters.

Really? We're back to the stupid fucking curse filter?

Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

3 hours ago, MattinMO said:

9.99 at least they aren’t completely f’ng people over even if it is a shitty cca kit a lot of shops over charge for them 

LOL you think that says $9.99? No sir, they dont have morals you see. That says 59.99.

02 Chevy Tahoe

Big 3

Kenwood X599

Sundown Audio SAX 100.4 

1 hour ago, fithwheel said:

Guess I didn't get the point? He's Muslim? What's that got to do with anything?

He just doesnt seem the type, not inherently because he is Muslim.

02 Chevy Tahoe

Big 3

Kenwood X599

Sundown Audio SAX 100.4 

3 minutes ago, fithwheel said:

As far as I know Muslims aren't allowed to eat pork.

Refs = PapaGeno21, Goindef154, 92c1v1c, Disarmer, chemmins, 97maxima, kroid777, ithertz, basscort2009, hunterw, mar08052, appleyard, millimac247, jonny101abc, sundownz, cranberryyumyum, mig139, daboyfrumdabx, skateguy92, basebalz13.

4 minutes ago, ciaonzo said:

Yep I learned that about an hour ago, along with a ~30sec window to edit your post. 

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, ciaonzo said:

Don't compromise your personal integrity and make up stories in order to please him. He cannot legally force you to do anything about your personal property, unless you are threatening him with it or doing damage to his property in some way. You have far more legal recourse in this matter than he does. Now, had he taken the proper approach and asked you to consider running the equipment he sells instead of what you currently run, and given you some real incentive to do so in the form of a killer discount, then okay. But he didn't. Guy is a sad, stupid f**k and I would have laughed at him before he got the whole sentence out.

Ask him about his HR department and what the guidelines are for harassment. He will get the hint if he has half a brain. If he doesn't, as many others have suggested, tell him go f**k himself while laughing with complete confidence in your statement. That is, once you have other employment lined up. Get out of there as quick as you can, you are not gaining any valuable experience there.

I am gaining valuable experience, he is just sales anyway. I see him for 15min a day prob. It is "family owned" I'm pretty sure, they dont have an HR dept. The problem with being combative is that I can be fired for no reason and I have no legal ground to stand on. 

02 Chevy Tahoe

Big 3

Kenwood X599

Sundown Audio SAX 100.4 

1 minute ago, THATpurpleKUSH said:

Yep I learned that about an hour ago, along with a ~30sec window to edit your post. 

Well fuck.

7 minutes ago, fithwheel said:

No pork.

7 minutes ago, ciaonzo said:

Is gey

02 Chevy Tahoe

Big 3

Kenwood X599

Sundown Audio SAX 100.4 

Just now, CplCuddles said:

Is gey

Fuckin right it is.

I understand, as long as you find some type of value in it. Do what you have to for the time being, but you be ready to put that shitweasel in his place when the time comes. 

3 minutes ago, Slo_Ride said:

As far as I know Muslims aren't allowed to eat pork.

Idk that. Most of them I've been around were always cool to me. Well now I know not to offer up any bacon. 

7 minutes ago, fithwheel said:

Idk that. Most of them I've been around were always cool to me. Well now I know not to offer up any bacon. 

Did know that even Catholics have a similar thing? They're not allowed to eat anything older than 15.

I do not discrimate others based on race, religion, or sex. Stupid people, I do hate stupid people though. 

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now