Hello folks! I'm currently putting together a modest SQ build and have run into a bit of a snag with subwoofer, enclosure, and amplifier selection and would greatly appreciate some advice on the matter. The snag is my lack of familiarity with the current "good brands" and the strange lack of shops willing to demo SQ subwoofers or their "high end" subwoofers. While the overall goal is excellent sound quality, I am an oldschool basshead at heart and still want exceptional levels of loud when the mood strikes me. I have, over a few decades, owned various sizes of subwoofers and enclosures and have found that they all have their own merrits however, my favorite subs/enclosure were 2 Soundstream SS10R's (circa mid nineties) sealed with a 600w monoblock supplying the juice. I would love to have something that either matches the level of output and accuracy of that set up or exceeds it, in terms of sonic transparency, as well as the ability to compliment my front stage set up and rattle some door parts loose. I have access to Arc Audio, Hertz, Focal, FI, DD, DA, JL, Audio Frog, Sun Down, and Fosgate.  I would prefer to stay within a budget of $1500 for sub(s) and amplifier. The environment is a 2018 Mustang GT, and I have, roughly 3 cubic feet to use for enclosure space. The build, so far, is as follows:

•Hertz Mille pro 163.3 three way front stage fully active.

•Arc Audio XDi 1200.6

•Arc Audio PS8 DSP

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by RadioShackSQ
grammar and accuracy

The max box dimensions you can get in that car are 32 wide, 13 high and about 24 deep. My girlfriend has a 17 Mustang and I have to load the box through the back seats. A pair of 10s with a rear firing port or a pair of 12s with a side firing port is about the most cone area you'll be able to squeeze in there. 

giphy.gif

46 minutes ago, THATpurpleKUSH said:

The max box dimensions you can get in that car are 32 wide, 13 high and about 24 deep. My girlfriend has a 17 Mustang and I have to load the box through the back seats. A pair of 10s with a rear firing port or a pair of 12s with a side firing port is about the most cone area you'll be able to squeeze in there. 

Thanks for the reply. I had pretty much settled on either a pair of 10's or 12's and was lookong for recommendations on brand, product line, and enclosure type. I am open to glassing in the areas behind the rear wheel wells too, if it comes down to it.

Edited by RadioShackSQ
Spelling

I put a pair of the Stereo Integrity BM MKVs in my 2017 and am satisfied with them.  Keeping in mind they are more of an SQ sub and not sheer output.  I chose them to save on weight and also still have a usable trunk.  They also make some pretty badass regular format 12's and 15's that require very small sealed boxes, but will require much more power and twice the enclosure of the BMs.  The regular subs weigh 70 lbs or so while the BMs are around 14 lbs each.  How loud do you want to go and how much power you looking to push?

Sync 3, Helix Director, Helix DSP, Mosconi Zero 3 X 3, Mosconi Zero 1, Dynaudio Esotar 2 E650, Morel CDM 880, Morel 350, Stereo Integrity BM MKV X 2

7 minutes ago, Smaple said:

I put a pair of the Stereo Integrity BM MKVs in my 2017 and am satisfied with them.  Keeping in mind they are more of an SQ sub and not sheer output.  I chose them to save on weight and also still have a usable trunk.  They also make some pretty badass regular format 12's and 15's that require very small sealed boxes, but will require much more power and twice the enclosure of the BMs.  The regular subs weigh 70 lbs or so while the BMs are around 14 lbs each.  How loud do you want to go and how much power you looking to push?

As far as wattage goes, I'm looking to stay under 1500w and l am less concerned about db's but being somewhere in the ballpark of 125-130 should be easily attainable without overpowering the front stage. Going  a little above or below the 125-130 range is perfectly acceptable but the overall idea is for it to be an SQ setup with a moderate amount of volume. I've settled on the Arc KS 1200.1 for amplification fwiw.

https://stereointegrity.com/product/hst12-12-subwoofer/

In that case I’d do one of these or a pair of the BM MKVs.  About the same price either way. They also have some of the best customer service around. 

Sync 3, Helix Director, Helix DSP, Mosconi Zero 3 X 3, Mosconi Zero 1, Dynaudio Esotar 2 E650, Morel CDM 880, Morel 350, Stereo Integrity BM MKV X 2

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now