Is This Amp Worth Fixing? HELP Please

Participant count
  • Participant list

SoCaL081
10+ year member

Hey everyone I recently purchased a somewhat older Alpine MRD-M1000 amp not to long ago and only paid $35 from a junkie that said she had to put $$$ onto her mans books in prison lol but anyways...it was working great with my 12" Eclipse SW8122DVC sub until I switched it over to another car. Once the amp would turn on, it would push my sub all the way out or pull it all the way in depending the phase and also make a crackling static sound so I started troubleshooting. I unplugged the rca's and still had the problem, tried different subs and still the same thing would happen. I ended up coming across a website or forum and ended up thinking that the problem was a output mosfet or something that is allowing DC current instead of AC? I know the newer version  (Alpine MRP-M1000) was known for the same issue also? Anyways, should I just get another amp or is this amp worth getting fixed? I know back in the day, this Alpine MRD-M1000 amp was like the best of the best or high up there and extremely expensive so Im needing some opinions. I would like to use its 1000w rms @ 2ohms with my (2) 12" Eclipse SW8122DVC subs...

Prob some blown Mosfets or a cap or? Two?More than likely fets.Parts Express has parts more than likely.Open it up.place some Pics of the Board on here. 

Last edited by a moderator:
eesh, youre suggesting replacing the fets himself? they are very finicky and need to be all from the same batch to work properly
Yes and they are cheap.. watch a you tube vid these days and no so bad to repair/do yourself with a little time and patience.Its no so bad, worth it if you want to keep a good amp up and running/back in service

Depends how much you value your time. Even at $10/hr you're quickly wasting your time on that amp if you have little or no knowledge of how the components on the board even work. 

If you don't even know how to check if a fet is blown you should leave it alone

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.