Which is a better pick, JL or RF for a $2000 rig?

dennismv

Michigan
I went to two different installers and got offered these packages for $2000:

• JL Audio HO110-W6v3 + deserving JL speakers, amps (forgot the details)
  • Rockford Fosgate Punch P300‑12 + pbr300x4 + deserving RF speakers
Which set up is more worth the money?

The p300-12 is not going to be very loud. I had one and I paid I think 250 for it.

The pbr300x4 can get warm while operating. And I've never been impressed much with Rockford speakers.

Jl is much better but they must be going to skimp like hell to get you a enclosed w6, 2 amps or 1 good 5channel and door speakers 

I'd definitely be looking at other brands, and a custom built box. The jl box is ok but it's also nothing special

What system would you recommend for $2,000?  I am looking for a sub, amps, and door speakers... for 2018 Honda CR-V EX-L
amps need to do rated and a lot of power on the amp dyno while maintaining high efficiency.  Just look up amplifier dyno videos on youtube and you'll see which ones are good and which ones are junk.  You want at least 100+ watts per channel for your door speakers for sound quality purposes.   You also want a little bit higher power numbers for the sub amp as well so you can keep the gains lower using the amp at 80 or 90% capability and keep the amp cool not forcing it to work at 120% capacity generating ridiculous amounts of heat and eventually blowing or killing your sub. Same principals apply to the 4 channel amp. just because you have 2000 watts doesnt mean you need to use all of it, you can control how much power subs and speakers see via settings.

First off for your car i'd add a DSP a 6 channel amp (two for front tweeters, two for front door speakers, two for rear, you want individual control of the tweeter and door speakers vs how they are right now clumped together which gives you the impression that the stock system s*cks)and a sub amp run active if sound quality is your goal.   If you just want things loud then, add the amps run pro audio speakers, upgrade electricals, get a good sub and sub enclosure.

avoid overpaying on brands like rockford and JL.   you get other amps that do just as good if not better for a fraction of the price. with the  pbr300x4 it gets completely smoked by a pioneer gm 8604 which does almost double the power for 120 dollars for example.   Instead of a w6, you can get a dayton HO 12 instead and its literally the same sound signature and loudness for 150 dollars and has a 5 year warranty vs 650 dollars for "name brand".

Pick up a alpine pdr-f50 and pdr-m65 and a Dayton ho. Put the sub in a custom enclosure designed to your taste.

Get knuconceptz wire kits, rca, speaker wire

Mids and highs are subjective but the proper deadening and install will make the biggest difference.

Look up keephopealive's build thread in the build log section. He shows a good example of proper speaker installation.

I went to two different installers and got offered these packages for $2000:

• JL Audio HO110-W6v3 + deserving JL speakers, amps (forgot the details)
  • Rockford Fosgate Punch P300‑12 + pbr300x4 + deserving RF speakers
Which set up is more worth the money?
jl is diff over proced the dayton is a much better deal heck even get a sundown SA 12 and maybe even a sundown 1k amp and wolfram 125x4 for less $ than jl..

I don't mind going with Dayton or similar non brand components.  I umm don't know what to get really as far putting together a package that will work together.  I do want most quality for the money and I don't mind spending a bit of money. I guess though if I don't have to spend a lot for quality, then that is great too!! 

I'm looking for a plain all get me some good bass and quality mids and tweets into my car. Mostly bass, since my car is sadly lacking is that right now 

And I am glad you are telling me this. Otherwise I'd end up with JLs and spending lotsa moneys 

I am going to assume a door speaker of 6.5" as it can be adapted to most door adapters if need be. Here is a list:

Sub - Sub link - $207.99

Speakers - MidBass link - $76.90 x 2

Tweeters - Tweeter link - $111.60 x 2

Rear speakers... not needed

DSP - DSP link - $249.99

Total before taxes and shipping - $834

Estimated left over for amps, sub box, wiring ect... - $1166
did the price go up 100$ on the dsp? Probably be better off going to parts express and buying it for 150$

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.