Metalhead/Rocker Audiophiles needed!!

BoogChubby

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello everyone!  I am looking to put a system in a 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab.  I really want a system that specializes in rock and metal music.  I'm an old school music guy that listens to AC/DC - Zepplin, with the harder stuff (for me personally) being Pantera, Metallica, and cooling down with some old time country western.  I'm not too concerned about how the twang and acoustics of the country I listen to sounds, it's the bass drum punches and guitar riffs of the rock/metal that I would really like to have supreme clarity and sound.

I've had systems before, but they were thrown together with whatever I could find/afford at the time.  Some were ok, some were not.  But I've never had that "amazing" sound for my personal taste in music.  I've read that a sealed 10" sub is what I need.  Make sure my pre-outs are 4v or higher.  Use a silk dome tweeter.  Be sure my head unit has built in high and low pass filters.  Again, I'm a novice and don't know where to start with most of this.  I have no issues installing this myself, but picking out the toys is not in my wheelhouse.

I have no preference on brand, and I really don't care about brand wars.  I'd like to keep this head build under $1,000.  I do understand that replacing the head unit, factory speakers, and adding an amp and sub for $1,000 or under isn't going to win me any sound shows.  So I guess it's a good thing I have absolutely no interest in that stuff.  I'm just looking for some help building this "amazing" set-up for my truck and with my budget.  So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Hello everyone!  I am looking to put a system in a 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab.  I really want a system that specializes in rock and metal music.  I'm an old school music guy that listens to AC/DC - Zepplin, with the harder stuff (for me personally) being Pantera, Metallica, and cooling down with some old time country western.  I'm not too concerned about how the twang and acoustics of the country I listen to sounds, it's the bass drum punches and guitar riffs of the rock/metal that I would really like to have supreme clarity and sound.

I've had systems before, but they were thrown together with whatever I could find/afford at the time.  Some were ok, some were not.  But I've never had that "amazing" sound for my personal taste in music.  I've read that a sealed 10" sub is what I need.  Make sure my pre-outs are 4v or higher.  Use a silk dome tweeter.  Be sure my head unit has built in high and low pass filters.  Again, I'm a novice and don't know where to start with most of this.  I have no issues installing this myself, but picking out the toys is not in my wheelhouse.

I have no preference on brand, and I really don't care about brand wars.  I'd like to keep this head build under $1,000.  I do understand that replacing the head unit, factory speakers, and adding an amp and sub for $1,000 or under isn't going to win me any sound shows.  So I guess it's a good thing I have absolutely no interest in that stuff.  I'm just looking for some help building this "amazing" set-up for my truck and with my budget.  So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!
For sub duties I'd recommend (2) beefy 6.5" or (2) beefy 8" ported , front fire , ported into the side door passenger side,custom enclosure by reputable builder. Enclosure is everything. Forget sealed Down fire in prefabbed boxed. Put about 1000-1500 legit watts to them.

I listen to exactly the same stuff you do. Had a single 10 sealed Down fire for a short period in my little truck. Didn't **** but lackluster for sure. Two 8s up fire side port huge improvement. You can get some pretty decent 8s fairly cheap. Prefure soft dome or silk over metal. 

It can be done if you install it yourself. You could also get an hu with a 3 way crossover and go active. a set of tweeters and mids in the front only. Forget the rear speakers. Would sound really good for that kind of money.

Soft diaphragm tweeter, hard diaphragm mids and thick diaphragm subwoofer(s). I'd say high Qes and high Qms. Maybe you're looking for a Denon HU or Eclipse HU if you don't mind old/used equipment. Alpine CDE-175BT should do something. 

My front stage for your build would be Anarchy 704, Audiofrog GB25, and Small silk tweeter.

Subs-DD 8’s

Power-Pio GM-D8604, and 9601

Run tweets off head unit, look for used amps, which around here go for $100 each.

Right now is the time to watch the for sale boards, since finals just ended. Guys will be switching sponsors, installing sponsors’ new lines, and retiring from competition.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

BoogChubby

CarAudio.com Newbie
BoogChubby
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
beak81champ