Should I solder my battery terminal?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ThxOne
Premium Member

The Boss
As I was driving around last night, making my deliveries I noticed my battery gauge sitting at 13v. No lights on, no air running and my stereo was not loud at all. Then I saw it drop just below 13v for a little bit. This is annoying to say the least. When I got back to work I checked my battery connections while the Jeep was running. I messed with the positive terminal, no change on the gauge. Messed with the negative and it jumped up to 13.5 - 13.8ish volts and stayed there the rest of the night. I was able to rotate the negative terminal about 2mm. It took some effort.

I cannot tighten the terminal, it uses a set screw on the side. I had the thought of adding some solder to the connection, coating the battery terminal and letting it fill any gaps where the terminal connects to the post. It is a top post battery. What do you all think of the solder idea? It's a Sky High battery terminal. This terminal to be exact.

terminals.jpg

Dont waste your time. Prolly just your car regulating voltage since it prolly didn't need the full output of the alt
It jumped up over half a volt when I moved the negative terminal... I don't think its the regulator. I think it's just a poorly designed terminal. It's thin and has a small contact surface and the only way to secure it is with the very small set screw. I may order a different style terminal yet again.

Ill agree.. Sounds like a waste of time.Be a real PITA when you decide or need a new batt as well.Id buy some different terminals if it were me.If they are loose, and not tight fit then prob too large for the post to begin with.Reg Brass batt terminals with a wing nut for additions would prob be a bit more secure even.

https://www.rvautoparts.com/00639-East-Penn-Battery-Terminal-Universal-Marine-Clamp-Style-Wing_p_18162.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwiJncBRC1ARIsAOvG-a5i6CHQW-aAk-MVtXptfv22-ATaSiwZT3MoY0OK4t7vWuIsxa1ug1EaAn0WEALw_wcB

Ill agree.. Sounds like a waste of time.Be a real PITA when you decide or need a new batt as well.Id buy some different terminals if it were me.If they are loose, and not tight fit then prob too large for the post to begin with.Reg Brass batt terminals with a wing nut for additions would prob be a bit more secure even.

https://www.rvautoparts.com/00639-East-Penn-Battery-Terminal-Universal-Marine-Clamp-Style-Wing_p_18162.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwiJncBRC1ARIsAOvG-a5i6CHQW-aAk-MVtXptfv22-ATaSiwZT3MoY0OK4t7vWuIsxa1ug1EaAn0WEALw_wcB
I could probably use that terminal... I have 3 1/0awg ground wires to attach to it.

Should work and last a bit till you find or decide differently.But at least the terminal is tightened to the post much better of which you needed.

I forgot I have a brand new clamp meter. I put it on my alternator to battery power wire and also tried it on the shortest ground wire from the battery. Both 0awg. First engine start of the day and the voltage on the dash is 14v. I clamp the alternator to battery power cable with the setting on the clamp shown in the pic. It fluctuates betwixed 1.6a and 1.8a on BOTH the power cable and also the ground cable when I clamped it. I turned the A/C on max cool and recirculate and both cables now show 2.6a on the meter and the voltage on the dash is now 13.5ish Volts. Should my alternator be putting out more amps????

Am I using the clamp right? Correct setting on the meter? One wire clamped at a time right? Doesn't matter if it's the power or ground right, as long as its just one wire being clamped?

20180902_143318.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the Jeep is acting up yet again. The gauge on the dash is showing 12.9 - 13v but when I measure between the battery terminals with the engine idling it's reading 14.2v. I measured between the positive and the bolt on the nearest ground cable (negative terminal to body panel bolt - 6-8" long - 0awg) and it read 13.8v. So over a 6 -8" run of 0awg cable, it's losing .4v which in itself seem weird. I had the alternator tested in the vehicle and was told its fine.

I did buy another marine terminal for the positive post to match the ground terminal and will be doing that Friday on my day off. I am getting frustrated though... the main reason I hate this Jeep is because of the electrical gremlins. If those were fixed, I would keep driving this hunk of ****. You just can't kill the 4.0L straight 6. Here is exactly what my positive and negative cables look like.

Electrical.jpg

Since I have a 1995 Jeep it has the OBDI diagnostics. My check engine light kept coming on... I manually ran the codes and it basically was pointing to something internal in the alternator. Checked some Jeep forums and ask about the code... they ALL said 99.9% of the time it's the alternator and that I need to replace it soon. So I did. I took out the cheap eBay 150a alternator and swapped in a re-man 120a alternator. So far so good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.