Port size

Participant count
  • Participant list

treman03

CarAudio.com Newbie
New here and need help with port size.  I just installed (2) PIONEER TS-SW3002S4 12" 1,500-Watt Shallow-Mount Subwoofers in a 32Wx13Hx11D box.  Using these subs allows me to keep some trunk space.  I used a calculator to figure the size and it told me 2" and 5 1/2" long.   To me this seems kinda small for 12" subs.  It sounds ok at low volume but when you crank it up it doesn't seem to be doing what I think it should.  Now leaving the volume the same and popping the trunk lid the bass doubles, maybe triples.  This is where I think the bass should be.  I'm not into stereo competition but I do want it to sound like it should.  Any input on what I need to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys for your help.

Now leaving the volume the same and popping the trunk lid the bass doubles, maybe triples.
This is an issue with standing waves.   An oldie but goodie here: http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/aiming.htm

Short answer is to experiment with location and aiming of the box in the trunk. 

Also 2" round port does sound very small.  I'd guess after a couple hundred watts the port will unload and perform very poorly.   As far as just making the port bigger you start really cutting into box volume which will hurt output and performance, and of course those "shallow mount" type woofers are generally rather limitoued to begin with.

Anyway, start with just playing around with location and aiming then if you can't get where you want come back and post precise box dimensions and see if someone can help you figure out a fix for that smalll port.

A 2 inch port is way too small for that much cone area and shallow mount subs are pretty much all garbage to begin with. That port is so small it's causing the whole box to act like a leaky sealed box rather than a properly designed ported box. 

As I stated in my post, I'm not into competition or trying to blow my doors or trunk lid off the vehicle.  I'm just trying to get the subs to perform.  As far as I can tell now they will perform just fine for me for the space I want to give up.   Guess I've got a lot of trial and error to do....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.