2018 Altima, good Sound quality system, don't know much

Participant count
  • Participants list

97dakota
10+ year member

lovin Belize
Missouri
Morning y'all

Have a new car that I would like to put a good sound quality system in.  I used to play around with this car audio thing back in the day but I have forgot most of what I knew which wasn't much.  

Everything is stock, and I am not sure where to start.

My plan is to find some decent speakers subs, tweeters whatever and then work my way backwards with the amps needed, wiring and headunit.

Is that a bad plan?  I am not against spending money but I don't need name brand this or that.  I don't even know what the name brands are anymore.  Last time I did this I had 4 RE 15's I think, in the back of my dodge dakota.  Good times but I am now on the hunt for just a kick ass sweet sounding concert on wheels.

I would be incredibly thankful for any suggestions and if anyone has some good speakers they are looking to get rid of I am your guy.  

Good one

pro.png
Douchebag  

if you're planning on replacing head unit? Personally I'd start there and work my way back, if you're adding things as you purchase equipment. That way your not integrating amps etc. To the stock hu. 

if you're planning on replacing head unit? Personally I'd start there and work my way back, if you're adding things as you purchase equipment. That way your not integrating amps etc. To the stock hu. 
Sure,  been reading seems that's the first step. 

Morning y'all

Have a new car that I would like to put a good sound quality system in.  I used to play around with this car audio thing back in the day but I have forgot most of what I knew which wasn't much.  

Everything is stock, and I am not sure where to start.

My plan is to find some decent speakers subs, tweeters whatever and then work my way backwards with the amps needed, wiring and headunit.

Is that a bad plan?  I am not against spending money but I don't need name brand this or that.  I don't even know what the name brands are anymore.  Last time I did this I had 4 RE 15's I think, in the back of my dodge dakota.  Good times but I am now on the hunt for just a kick ass sweet sounding concert on wheels.

I would be incredibly thankful for any suggestions and if anyone has some good speakers they are looking to get rid of I am your guy.  
Headunit, amps, subs, mids+tweeters+ door treatments in that order.   Your stock speaker with a new head unit, and 100+ watts of power vs your stock headunit which is 3-5 watts will sound like a completely different animal SQ wise. You wont blow them since the new head unit will have a high pass filter.  Having a sub will take care of the low end while allowing your speakers to excel at midrange and vocals. The head unit will also have 13+ bands of EQ, and time alignment which will drastically improve SQ if tuned right even on stock speakers.

If you buy aftermarket speakers without a head unit and amp covered, it'll sound like complete garbage compared to the stock speakers.

Headunit, amps, subs, mids+tweeters+ door treatments in that order.   Your stock speaker with a new head unit, and 100+ watts of power vs your stock headunit which is 3-5 watts will sound like a completely different animal SQ wise. You wont blow them since the new head unit will have a high pass filter.  Having a sub will take care of the low end while allowing your speakers to excel at midrange and vocals. The head unit will also have 13+ bands of EQ, and time alignment which will drastically improve SQ if tuned right even on stock speakers.

If you buy aftermarket speakers without a head unit and amp covered, it'll sound like complete garbage compared to the stock speakers.
Ok thanks for that.  My stock system automatically picks up what audio I had playing on my phone, books on tape podcast etc.  Is that a feature I can find in new headunits.  It's an android if it matters.

How much money should i reasonably want to spend on a head unit that I would want to add on all the other stuff?  I guess what I am asking is there a decent difference between a 200 and 600 $ unit that I would want to go the 600 route for?

Ok thanks for that.  My stock system automatically picks up what audio I had playing on my phone, books on tape podcast etc.  Is that a feature I can find in new headunits.  It's an android if it matters.

How much money should i reasonably want to spend on a head unit that I would want to add on all the other stuff?  I guess what I am asking is there a decent difference between a 200 and 600 $ unit that I would want to go the 600 route for?
Not much sound difference after 300 dollars. The differences is the features along with android auto integration like what you prefer.  You want a head unit that has these audio specs at the minium

24 bit dac, 13 band or higher EQ, time alignment, 4 volt or higher pre-outs, active network capable etc.. thats the bare minimum, if the have that then you are good to go to choose whichever one has the features you want.

Thanks for that.  If I get stuck some place I cant find my way out of I'll hit you up.
It's a great idea to go at this as you have. Lots of people want to help by donating their time. You and I have probably been on forums like this for just as long. Have the car audio forums always been a consistently reliable source of guidance?

Not much sound difference after 300 dollars. The differences is the features along with android auto integration like what you prefer.  You want a head unit that has these audio specs at the minium

24 bit dac, 13 band or higher EQ, time alignment, 4 volt or higher pre-outs, active network capable etc.. thats the bare minimum, if the have that then you are good to go to choose whichever one has the features you want.
Perfect, thanks.

I'll go on the hunt for some that fit the bill you provided and have the extra stuff I would like and then see what you guys have to say about it.

Thanks for the list of items.  I'll drink this beer in your honor.

It's a great idea to go at this as you have. Lots of people want to help by donating their time. You and I have probably been on forums like this for just as long. Have the car audio forums always been a consistently reliable source of guidance?
I have learned that the degree of help typically is a reflection of the quality of the question that is asked.  The guys and gals of this place help a poor high school kid put 4 15's in the bed of my pickup truck and I knew less than I do now so the track record is strong.  NIce to know there are pro's like you willing to help if it gets to out of hand though.

I totally agree with Jeff’s recommendations, although I went about it one step differently. I ordered all my sound deadening material and wiring/distro blocks etc. first, and installed that while I was waiting for other pieces to come in the mail! That let me get familiar with taking my car apart, so when the speakers and amps got to me, I had already seen where things would fit, and I could take my interior apart quickly to install.

I totally agree with Jeff’s recommendations, although I went about it one step differently. I ordered all my sound deadening material and wiring/distro blocks etc. first, and installed that while I was waiting for other pieces to come in the mail! That let me get familiar with taking my car apart, so when the speakers and amps got to me, I had already seen where things would fit, and I could take my interior apart quickly to install.
Perfect, I was thinking I might go that route while I figure out excatly what it is that I want to put in it.  Is there preferred sound deadening material or manufacture?  I think I used some kind of roofing metallic rubberized tape on my build 20 years ago.  I would assume stuff has improved greatly since then.

Perfect, I was thinking I might go that route while I figure out excatly what it is that I want to put in it.  Is there preferred sound deadening material or manufacture?  I think I used some kind of roofing metallic rubberized tape on my build 20 years ago.  I would assume stuff has improved greatly since then.
Take a look at noico black 80 mil. This is just as good as the more expensive brands without being expensive. 

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-Deadening-automotive-restoration-insulation/dp/B01BKKZ1AM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535437696&sr=8-1&keywords=noico+black

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.