first timer questions and ideas

Participant count
  • Participants list

tedx55

CarAudio.com Newbie
im designing my first audio set up in my first car and im doing it on a budget. ive got a head unit picked out but every hing else is undecided. https://www.jbugs.com/product/USA230-68-85.html this is the headunit im looking at. what would you guys suggest for speakers anda sub? i had an idea before and im total lost now. so help a new guy out please   

First we need to know what your budget is and what you’re looking to get out of the system. Do you want your music to be just plain loud or are you looking for sound quality and balance? What are your daily listening habits (genre, volume, and time spent listening).

So many factors can influence what is recommended to you and while members here can help you in the right direction, it’s best to do your own research to get what YOU want out of your audio system. 

PartsExpress’ website is an amazing resource for browsing quality drivers and has something for every budget out there.

P.S I assume this is going in an old VW bug based on the headunit selected and I’m not sure how strong the factory alternator is but I assume it will not be enough for a high power system but that’s okay, more power isn’t always better. 

First we need to know what your budget is and what you’re looking to get out of the system. Do you want your music to be just plain loud or are you looking for sound quality and balance? What are your daily listening habits (genre, volume, and time spent listening).

So many factors can influence what is recommended to you and while members here can help you in the right direction, it’s best to do your own research to get what YOU want out of your audio system. 

PartsExpress’ website is an amazing resource for browsing quality drivers and has something for every budget out there.

P.S I assume this is going in an old VW bug based on the headunit selected and I’m not sure how strong the factory alternator is but I assume it will not be enough for a high power system but that’s okay, more power isn’t always better. 
just loud i run all shity 80 sound stuff in my room so i dont need super nice audio in my car. i listen to mostly classic rock and same rap musics. and yes my bug is a 72 with a new alternator is a 55 amp bosh unit. i was looking at getting https://www.jbugs.com/product/P165.html those or a slightly bigger size  and this is the amp and sub i was looking at https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Subwoofer-Shallow-Enclosure-Amplifier/dp/B01MTG3PO1 (i know boss isnt the greatest company but ive seen good reviews about both parts. and im looking to spend around $500-$600.    

Please do not buy anything Boss, it sickens me that they make any money at all. The Rockford coaxials are decent; however, you could buy some pro audio drivers or component sets of better quality for under the cost of those. 

Try looking at options from McLaren, Alphard Audio, PRV, Dayton, and Crescendo for some raw drivers and soft dome tweeters. Most options from those companies should be plenty loud and rugged enough to last you for years. 

As for your sub and wiring, I’d hit up GP Car Audio right now for their Bump2School sale.  You can grab a Alphard Audio Machete 10” sub with a 4 gauge amp kit that you could cut into a big three kit, since you won’t need 17ft of power wire, all for ~$170 with free shipping. 

Then get a 5 channel amp such as the Pioneer GMD9605 which can be bought for $180-220 depending on where you look. 

Those are my “budget” recommendations and hopefully you have some moolah leftover to buy a decent AGM battery to cope with the more than likely dismal voltage drop. 

LunaticRT said:
Please do not buy anything Boss, it sickens me that they make any money at all. The Rockford coaxials are decent; however, you could buy some pro audio drivers or component sets of better quality for under the cost of those. 

Try looking at options from McLaren, Alphard Audio, PRV, Dayton, and Crescendo for some raw drivers and soft dome tweeters. Most options from those companies should be plenty loud and rugged enough to last you for years. 

As for your sub and wiring, I’d hit up GP Car Audio right now for their Bump2School sale.  You can grab a Alphard Audio Machete 10” sub with a 4 gauge amp kit that you could cut into a big three kit, since you won’t need 17ft of power wire, all for ~$170 with free shipping. 

Then get a 5 channel amp such as the Pioneer GMD9605 which can be bought for $180-220 depending on where you look. 

Those are my “budget” recommendations and hopefully you have some moolah leftover to buy a decent AGM battery to cope with the more than likely dismal voltage drop. 
thank a lot that information is just what i was looking for!

LunaticRT said:

http://store.crescendoaudio.com/pro-audio-starter-kit-1/

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Amplifiers/GM+Digital+Series/GM-D8604

https://www.jbugs.com/product/USA230-68-85.html

if im not mistaken this should all go together with some wires and work. also what do cross over do?

Getting GOOD QUALITY speakers is the best way to drastically improve the sound you hear.

John Kuthe...
This^ no doubt. The great thing about drivers is that you don’t have to pay exorbitant amounts of cash to get a very nicely designed driver. 

OP don’t be scared to look at PartsExpress or Madisound’s website for some very nice drivers that aren’t specifically made for car audio but perform fantastic anyways. I myself will be picking up 4 Silver Flute 8s for my doors from Madisound. 

PartsExpress also always has discounted drivers and buyouts that make buying multiple drivers an under $100 venture.

And yes the amp kit I recommended to you will give you all the wire you’ll need and if you buy any Alpard sub from GP you get free 8ga speaker wire!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.