How to measure if a OEM signal is full range? (trying REW and LOC)

Participant count
  • Participants list

smoka
10+ year member

Drink beer save water
Chicago
I have a 15 Durango with no amplifier. I'm trying to see if the tweeter signal is full range (tweeter has a cap on it). My big question is can I run my DSP straight from 2 channels off the OEM headunit or do I need to run all 6 speakers back to a JL FIX82 in order to get a good signal to my DSP?

This is my first time messing with REW. The results are strange. I'm using my laptop with a LOC converter hooked up to the signal right before the pass side tweeter.

Here is my laptop with the REW pink noise generating output looped to the mic input. (I'm assuming this would be the perfect full range signal I'm looking for?)
vFwypfB.jpg

Here is the signal hooked up to the LOC but the music is paused.
n3DWndq.jpg

Here is what it looks like with pink noise through the car headunit.
5J34PaX.jpg

Just for kicks here is rock music from the radio.
IQzbklG.jpg

My question. Is this signal full range? Is there any need to use a JL Audio Fix 82 to fix the signal before my DSP?

smoka said:
I have a 15 Durango with no amplifier. I'm trying to see if the tweeter signal is full range (tweeter has a cap on it). My big question is can I run my DSP straight from 2 channels off the OEM headunit or do I need to run all 6 speakers back to a JL FIX82 in order to get a good signal to my DSP?

This is my first time messing with REW. The results are strange. I'm using my laptop with a LOC converter hooked up to the signal right before the pass side tweeter.

Here is my laptop with the REW pink noise generating output looped to the mic input. (I'm assuming this would be the perfect full range signal I'm looking for?)
vFwypfB.jpg

Here is the signal hooked up to the LOC but the music is paused.
n3DWndq.jpg

Here is what it looks like with pink noise through the car headunit.
5J34PaX.jpg

Just for kicks here is rock music from the radio.
IQzbklG.jpg

My question. Is this signal full range? Is there any need to use a JL Audio Fix 82 to fix the signal before my DSP?
only way to find out if your stock unit is outputting full range is an o-scope

You want to see what it looks like coming from the care head unit with the eq at 0 and flat.

The signal should mirror what is shown on your first graph.

Honestly I would sum all the inputs to the dsp. The more inputs it receives the more it averages out. This should make it easier to EQ back to flat. 

One thing alot of people do is boost eq, a little eq boost at conservative levels is ok, but if you are going to push the system to the max you should cut your high points down to match the low points and then add power to make up the overall volume difference 

Another thing to consider is that most people ears dont care for a flat signal. That's why eq got popular in the first place to tune the sound to your ears

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.