need to replace my busted rsd10

Participant count
  • Participants list

CapriRS

CarAudio.com Newbie
So my co-worker dropped a sawz-all on my old phoenix gold rsd10 and it is no longer functional. I haven't had to buy a sub in years so I'm not familiar with a lot of the brands, and everything is pretty much made in China now anyway. I don't want to spend a lot preferably under a  hundo. I paid fitty for the rsd years ago. My box is .70 sealed and max top mount depth is 5.7 inches. I'll be powering it off the bridged rear channels of an old US Acoustics 4085 so about 240 rms @ 4ohms. The car is an 83 Mercury capri which is pretty much a foxbody mustang with larger hatch glass. So it will be in a hatchback, but will have to overcome a lot of engine/exhaust noise as the car has cam headers and flowmasters. I did purchase some 50mil butyl sound deadener to do the hatch area though. The rsd10 was adequate for me so I'd like something with similar output.

Some brands I've been considering are polk db, skar, powerbass[had great luck with their comps], rockford, nvx, pioneer, kenwood etc. Open to others, but will not buy kicker or boss. I'd also like to avoid JL unless the 10w0v3 is MUCH improved in output compared to the late 90's early 2000's version. My $35 skar ix8 hits harder than those old 10w0's did.

I mostly listen to punk,ska,rockabilly etc. with some metal,classic rock,alternative,80's, and a bit of rap thrown in there, but none of that crap where they sound like a malfunctioning robot. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as all the shops are gone nowadays so it's hard to figure out what's junk or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you could make a 1.4 to 1.6 cu ft ported enclosure tuned to around 34-36 htz, Im sure just about any low rms 10 will shine, on low power especially in a cabin space/hatch type vehicle.I used to have a pretty massive line of those old Zed made amps if Series II.. USA US Acoustics Series II. I still have a pair of 2100s left and a 2150.Great clean amps

It's one of the old ones that's gray with red and white stickers. I think they were Zed designed. Look very similar to the alphasoniks of the time. If I need a little more power I have a Zapco AG350. I'm just not sure I want to run 2 amps with my current alt. I've done the big 3 to max what I have, but it has to power an MSD 6AL ignition as well. Once I upgrade the alt I plan to make a larger enclosure out of the spare tire well. For now though I just need something that fits in that box, I've been looking at the american bass sub, but I haven't been able to find any recommended enclosure info. Thiele Parameters is too much work for a prefab box.

yeah the dx or alpine s will be good for low power maybe even cheap skar 10 (people here don't like skar) just look for sub with high db rating.. i'd rec the pioneer 3003 96db mine was pretty loud ported but i had it on much more power (i'd think it's needs400rms)  like audioB said smallish ported box be lots louder on your low power

yeah the dx or alpine s will be good for low power maybe even cheap skar 10 (people here don't like skar) just look for sub with high db rating.. i'd rec the pioneer 3003 96db mine was pretty loud ported but i had it on much more power (i'd think it's needs400rms)  like audioB said smallish ported box be lots louder on your low power
The sensitivity on your precious Pioneer isn't accurately stated by Pioneer and it's in the wrong context. Pioneer quotes in car sensitivity which is always going to be higher esp if it's at 2.83v which it most likely is. This allows the marketing team to manipulate the buyer's perceptions to be more favorable of the product. The same reason why you see peak power numbers all over packaging. 

Actual 1w/1m sensivity of the 3003 12d4 is about 85.77db which is only average for a 12 (average is usually about 86db).  2.83v/1m sensitivity is about 93.19db. 

The 1w/1m figure is the most consistent and accurate figure to use when comparing to other subs. The true number ALWAYS needs to be calculated based off tsp information, either by hand or with Bass Box Pro or WinISD. You cannot rely on the sensitivity numbers that manufacturers give because 99% of the time they are lying. Sundown is one of a handful of companies that list sensitivity numbers that consistently match what BassBox Pro calculates. 

man, i never see memphis referenced on here. well, not never, but very infrequently. was wondering if they were still around
They are around and they sell well to new bass heads because they perform well in sealed boxes on low power.

Can you get a better sub for the same of less money? I'm sure but it will likely need more power or a ported box.

The sd3 from sundown works well in sealed boxes but it needs a little more power then you have available

They are around and they sell well to new bass heads because they perform well in sealed boxes on low power.

Can you get a better sub for the same of less money? I'm sure but it will likely need more power or a ported box.

The sd3 from sundown works well in sealed boxes but it needs a little more power then you have available
more power than i have available? i have a SQ2200.1, how much power does that thing need??

more power than i have available? i have a SQ2200.1, how much power does that thing need??
I was thinking you were the op who stated they had 240w available.

500w is minimal for any system in my opinion.

I even had a pair of kicker comp 10s on 1200w at one time. 4x the power rating allowed them to have plenty of headroom and in that particular box they sounded incredible. Not too loud but the sounded good.

Long story short I like alot of extra power even if I don't use it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.