Amp goes into protection mode when speakers are connected to crossovers

Participant count
  • Participant list

troye

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello,  i have some serious car stereo weirdness going on, and I am really scratching my head.  I installed my car stereo about 3 months ago.  I did not cut any corners (build is below).  Two weeks ago the amp started going into protect mode when I turned up the volume to a decent level. Not blasting, but louder so I can hear when I am driving.  On the deck anything about 22 /35 cuts out.  The amp gains are set at about 1/2 way.

I recently isolated it to the front passenger side, and disconnected those speakers.  I could then turn up the volume.  I assumed based on my high level testing that it had to be the crossover.

Tonight I did some extensive troubleshooting and had some interesting results. I moved the RCA's to each channel and also tried the right front on each channel.

With the crossover connected to the amp (no speakers connected) the amp will go into protection mode every time. What is happening now is if I directly connect the amp to the right front woofer it goes as loud as it needs to go, but as soon as i connect the speakers to the crossover and then to the amp it goes into protection mode.

For a while I was able to connect the speakers to the crossover and then the amp connection I would place on the terminals directly on the woofer and the tweeter and it would work, but it seems as though that is not consistent as now sometimes it goes into protection mode.

Now what is strange is the left front was working just fine, but I disconnected to troubleshoot it and now regardless if I am connected to ch1 or ch2 it is going into protection mode.  Before disconnected it I was taking the right passenger (ch2) and touching it to the terminals of the drivers side (ch2) crossover and it was working just fine, EXCEPT if I were to switch the crossover to +3 it would go into protection mode.  

The same for the passenger side - while troubleshooting it would intermittently work with the speakers connected to the crossover and the crossover connected to the amp UNTIL I would switch it to +3db, then amp would go into projection mode.

There are three settings on the crossover -3,0, +3db

As I said it is very consistent now. Regardless of channel or RCA at higher volume the amp will go into protection mode when connecting any crossover.  I forgot to mention that I received two brand new crossovers from Crutchfield tonight. I thought this was the issue but it does not seem to be. During my testing one of the new crossovers started smoking.  If connecting the amp directly to the speaker it will work just fine.  

Any help is greatly appreciated.  

Thank you

Head Unit - Kenwood DNX573SSKUAmp - Alpine - PDX Series 1600W Class D 5 ChannelFront Speakers - Pioneer TS-Z65CHRear Speakers - JBL GX6024 gauge Power & Ground WireNew speaker wire run for all speakersRCA's Krystal Kable 2 Channel 6M Twisted Pair RCA Cable 20' / Krystal Kable 4 Channel 6M Twisted Pair RCA Cable 20'

Not sure why I cannot edit my post. Read it and wanted to clarify, below is hopefully more clear

Hello,  i have some serious car stereo weirdness going on, and I am really scratching my head.  I installed my car stereo about 3 months ago.  I did not cut any corners (build is below).  Two weeks ago the amp started going into protect mode when I turned up the volume to a decent level. Not blasting, but louder so I can hear when I am driving.  On the deck anything above 22 /35 cuts out.  The amp gains are set at about 1/2 way.

I recently isolated it to the front passenger side, and disconnected those speakers.  I could then turn up the volume.  I assumed based on my high level testing that it had to be the crossover.

Tonight I did some extensive troubleshooting and had some interesting results. I moved the RCA's to each channel and also tried each channel.  The results are the same regardless of RCA or channel.

At a higher volume with the crossover connected to the amp (no speakers connected) the amp will go into protection mode every time. If I directly connect the amp to the right front speaker directly it goes as loud as it needs to go, but as soon as i connect the speakers to the crossover and then to the amp it goes into protection mode.

For a while I was able to connect the speakers to the crossover and then the amp connection I would place on the terminals directly on the woofer and the tweeter and it would work, but it seems as though that is not consistent as now sometimes it goes into protection mode.

Now what is strange is the left front was working just fine, but I disconnected the crossover to troubleshoot it and now regardless of which crossover I am using it is going into protection mode.  Before disconnecting it,  I was able to take the right passenger amp wire and touching it to the terminals of the drivers side crossover and it was working just fine, EXCEPT if I were to switch the crossover to +3db it would go into protection mode consistently.

The same for the passenger side - while troubleshooting it would intermittently work with the speakers connected to the crossover and the crossover connected to the amp UNTIL I would switch it to +3db, then amp would go into projection mode.

There are three settings on the crossover -3,0, +3db

As I said it is very consistent now. Regardless of channel or RCA at higher volume the amp will go into protection mode when connecting to any crossover.  I forgot to mention that I received two brand new crossovers from Crutchfield tonight. I thought the crossover was the issue but it does not seem to be. During my testing one of the new crossovers started smoking.  If connecting the amp directly to the speakers it will work just fine, but when using the crossover it goes into protection mode.

I even redid the connections on the speaker wires

Any help is greatly appreciated.  

Thank you

Head Unit - Kenwood DNX573SSKUAmp - Alpine - PDX Series 1600W Class D 5 ChannelFront Speakers - Pioneer TS-Z65CHRear Speakers - JBL GX6024 gauge Power & Ground WireNew speaker wire run for all speakersRCA's Krystal Kable 2 Channel 6M Twisted Pair RCA Cable 20' / Krystal Kable 4 Channel 6M Twisted Pair RCA Cable 20'

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.