4ch amp switch, since then popping and weird RCA noise?!?

Participant count
  • Participants list

SQBubble
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MTL
Everything was working great until i switched my 4ch amplifier and completly forgot to disconnect the power line from the battery and i think i messed up something...not sure the cause though... now both my 4ch amplifiers make really weird noise and the really weird part is that my sub mute option on my kenwood x997 H.U. doesnt work anymore only WHEN RCAs ARE CONNECTED TO THE 4CH AMP... my REAR channel's xover gets applied to the SUBWOOFER amp instead of the REAR channel... so i disconnected the amp. and my sub amp pops when i turn off the car.... disconnecting the rca from the subwoofer amplifier made the pop go away ..the next day i tried the 4ch amplifier and it actually worked great as long as i dont turn on the engine or even go on contact ignition, if i do go on contact ignition it makes a really weird sound and its even worse when i turn on the engine, but all of these noise goes away when the RCA's are unplugged... im running my factory rear speakers off the head unit's amplifier right now and its working fine, no noise, no issues... does that mean its an isolated issue with the head-unit's RCA's preout that are messed up for sure? or could it be something else.. im really curious to understand how could this happen though ?..did i blew/shorted the RCAs or something in the headunit??

I would suspect the head unit.  Do you think you could have had an accidental contact between the RCA's and the energized power wire?  Even contact between the power wire and amp chassis can damage the HU since the HU shield is tied to the amp chassis through the RCA's.

You can try running a ground between the HU chassis and the amp chassis or the classic Pioneer RCA ground fix to verify if you did damage the RCA shield connection inside the HU.

thx for the explanation! yes actually i was tired when i did the swap and its very possible that had rcas plugged in before i plug in the power and ground, or even some strands were loose and made contact to the amp's chassis... never working on these things when im tired again thats for sure!

i did isolate the issue and it must be the head unit indeed, i connected a home dac/preamp to the amplifiers and everything is fine, no noise , no issues. so definitly coming for the pre-out

Im glad the amplifiers are in good states though.

a new head unit is on its way

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.