Upgrading Subs / Two 10" HCCA vs Two 12" T1S1

Participant count
  • Participants list

txdog27
10+ year member

Senior VIP Bad Ass Member
So I currently have a Dodge Ram 2500 Longhorn Laramie mega cab with my subwoofer enclosure behind the rear seat.

It is a dual 10" sealed box with 1.25 gross volume in each separated chamber.  I currently have two Skar Audio 10" Dual 4ohm EVL 1000wrms subs wired into 1 ohm on a Skar Audio RP-2000d amp.

I have all of my dash and door speakers upgraded and running a full three way active front stage with rear fill coaxials, tuned off of an Audiocontrol DM-810 dsp, stock dodge 8.4 Uconnect headunit, and powered by two 4 channel amps.

I have set all of my crossover slopes, time alignment, and gains correctly using the software and a couple of the SMD meters and have it tuned pretty close to about as perfect as it's going to get..... sounds great but I have way more headroom to get louder on my mids and highs and my subs are not able to keep up so I find myself disappointed with the bass output when I still have so much more output on my mids and highs to go.

Don't get me wrong it sounds very clean clear and gets very loud but I still feel like my low end bass needs more output before I'm going to be satisfied.  

Now I know the obvious answer would be more cone area, go with a ported box, double the power Etc....but.... due to the placement and shape of the box I am not able to port in a very efficient manor and the box is as big as I can make it and I am limited to 7.5" of mounting depth.  

I am looking to replace the two Skar 10's with some higher output or larger cone area subs to see if I can increase my output but not having experience with either of the models I am considering, I was hoping someone on here might have some experience or some insight as to whether I would see any noticeable gain in my low-end output.

This is what I'm considering as my two options thus far......

Choice #1

Two 10" Orion HCCA Dual 4ohm 2000wrms subs running off a Sundown SCV-4000D amp

Pros: Double Power, stronger motor, more xmax

Cons: Will have to cut and modify the back of the subwoofer box where the magnet would come into contact with the rear wall and extend it about an inch to accommodate the larger 8.25" mounting depth....currently only have 7.5"

Choice #2

Two 12" Rockford Fosgate T1S1 Slim Mount 600wrms subs running off of my current Skar Audio RP-2000d

Pros: More Cone area, slim fit, lower fs

Cons: Would have to enlarge mounting holes in subwoofer box to 12", less power (though I have heard the RMS rating is severely underrated and is more likely around a 1000rms), and less xmax

If anyone has any suggestions or tips or other advice in their experience with either of these subwoofers or possibly some that I have not thought of yet I would greatly appreciate it.

The other subs I was looking into and would really like to get my hands on a pair is the SSA Xcon 10" but after searching around online for a couple of hours I quickly found out that they are hard to come by...... so if you have a pair for sale hit me up LOL

But then again the new Icons are out so hmmmm?? ?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by a moderator:
So you're saying zero difference or gain from switching to subs with double power or subs with more come area?  Ported is not an option.

^^^^unless it's possible to use 2" pipe and port externally straight out of the top of the box like smoke stacks lol.....

Its just the overall acoustics of a truck. Sealed wont get you anywhere you need to be with the substage if you really like actual bass. Either do a center console ported box or a give up space somewhere else. You can have the most expensive powerful subs in that sealed box on 5000 watts and still wont hold a candle to a proper ported setup on 1200 watts.

Okay so let's talk box porting for a second.... I have seen a lot of guys on different forums and a few videos on YouTube where they have used external porting on their enclosures.

Went to the 12 volt.com and punched in a few numbers accounting for sub displacement of my existing skar subwoofers into the round port calculator and this is what it shows....see attached

I have all three of my amps mounted to a rack on top of the box behind the seat but if I could make room on each side of the box for two 2" diameter round ports each 4.82" in length sticking straight up off of the top of the box with flared ends would that be an efficient way to Port the box or is my thinking off somewhere?

Screenshot_20180815-064425_Samsung Internet.jpg

Well dam....I may have just answered my own question.  Just found this box online from a dealer and it is made for my truck!  I never saw this box when I was buying all of my equipment but I think it might be worth the swap.  I will have to sacrifice the reclining of my rear seats but I think I can deal with that.

The box specs are 5.15 cubic ft and the port can be customized to whatever tuning I desire apparently.  

So my next question would be...what subs,  on what power, with what port tuning frequency would work best for what I'm wanting.

I don't want to be totally sacrifice the tight and accurate reproduction of fast bass notes and bass note distinction but I do want a more extended low end.  

Cost not really being an issue what would give me the best of both worlds so to speak?

20140808_155442.jpg

If you want lows with a good bit of volume the jl audio 13tw5 and 12tw5 are hard to beat at least is shallow mount sealed boxes. 

I dropped my 13tw5 in .8 cubes each running off of 5-600w each and they dig down nicely. 

It's no competition system but it gets plenty loud.

I've yet to try the Rockford t1 shallows but knowing Rockford, the suspension is tight and they will want a larger box to dig low. You have the room if that's the route you want to go.

And no dont put the hcca subs sealed that would be plain stupid

I would look at Audio Frog or the Dayton HO subs. They like low tuning and have decent output so would fit your needs well.

What are the specs on that enclosure? i have a mega cab and will be building an enclosure soon. Was thinking 2 10's ported or 12's sealed.

I would look at Audio Frog or the Dayton HO subs. They like low tuning and have decent output so would fit your needs well.

What are the specs on that enclosure? i have a mega cab and will be building an enclosure soon. Was thinking 2 10's ported or 12's sealed.
Haven't been on here in awhile... did you ever do your build in your mega cab?  I am currently doing a rebuild on mine AGAIN so looking for inspiration on amplifier mounting locations LOL

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.