Need help choosing a sub

GWillis12

CarAudio.com Newbie
Ok I'm looking to to put 4 8" subs in my cobalt just to be different and I need help deciding, So here are the ones I cant decide between,anybody who owns any of these chime in please.They will be in a professional ported and tuned box. I already bought 2 skar rp 2000s to power them. I'm looking to spend roughly around 100 per sub,any help or point me in the right direction 

Massive Hippo 8

Sundown Ma8

Skar vvx3

Last edited by a moderator:
Any particular reason as to why you want to use eights? 4000 watts on four cheap eights ain't gonna work. If you're cheaping out on subs I hope you spent the money necessary to upgrade you electrical.  By far my fav 8 is the F8L, but its above your price range. 

Appreciate the response, but anything sundown or skar isnt cheap, if I was going cheap I'd buy pioneer,kenwood,i want to use 8s to be dfferent I had another vehicle with 2 mojo 12s, that's why I have the amps..I'm budget banging so to speak,I have only heard a few negatives on my choices so 

Your looking to put 1k rms to each 8... and only spend $100 on each 8?

I have used the skar vd 8 before. Solid sub for under $100... so their vvx should be better.

I'm looking to do the same thing with 2 8s on 2k, but the SSA F8L or the ampere audio RVE8 are the 2 on top of my list.

Yea basically 1 amp for 2 subs  at 2ohms wont be anything to crazy, basically looking at $125 each roughly.Ive only heard good things from the skar vvx series.The massive hippos look like a well built speaker.The sundown ma series seem like a decent sub,I was hoping somebody with any of these or around the price would chime in

So why run 2 subs on each amp at 2 ohms? When you can run all 4 on roughly the same power at 1 ohm? Usually your 1-2 ohms difference is close to double the power.

For the money I would say the vvx8 or maybe sundown e 8s? Not sure what the ma 8 costs.

I will say this, I would only go with 8s if your were limited on mounting height. Otherwise go with a larger sub.

The only reason I'm going to do 8s is because I only have 9" height to work with...

The ma subs are around 100 give or take a few bucks,basically even though it's ok to do so,I'd rather run the amps at 2 ohms to make them last longer,work easier so to speak,less heat etc. I wont be running these amps at full blast either,I'm not going for competition, just loud everyday use

If you insist on running both amps run each amp at 1 ohm, and you will have some headroom so you wont be clipping your amps

Again though. What electrical upgrades have you done to support 3-4k rms?

I wont be running these at 100% capacity,but 0 gauge cables,each amp will have 2 kinetic batteries 3 farad caps just because I have them.I had these amps @ 1ohm running 2 mojo 12s, bigger alt all that in another vehicle, sold the car and subs and had the amps laying around..I have 4 additional batteries i can use from previous set up if need be..For what I plan on doing,this should be fine, I'm not competing, just a everyday stereo system I can run and have fun with,I just wanted to do something ,different,spend 4-500$ on some 8s and have some fun

Appreciate the response, but anything sundown or skar isnt cheap
The brand "overall" might not be labeled cheap but doesn't mean they don't make budget products with cheap soft parts and less R&D (aka the products your looking at.......). 

If budget is right i'll throw the American Bass VFL 8D into the discussion (very stout woofer for the price). Local dealer is obsessed with them 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at the american bass comp 8,they are around $125...I just stumbled across a company called soundqubed,they have a very nice,seems to be built decent,I am looking into the HDS208,I know the amps they make are beastly,meet and exceed rated power,I will look into that particular American Bass sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.