Budget 12" SQ Subwoofer

cas0586

WV
Looking for a 12" SQ subwoofer to pair with a set of Morel Tempo Ultra 602 components.  I have 600W @ 4ohms and 900W @ 2ohms to throw at this new subwoofer. I have a budget of right around $200. If there is something significantly better for marginally more budget wise I will highly consider it. I am currently running a JBL 12W1v2-4 @ about 200W in 1.8 cu. ft. vented enclosure tuned to 37hz.

I was looking at the Dayton Audio RSS315HO-44 12" in a sealed enclosure at as close to spec as possible(0.49 cu. ft.). The smaller space of the sealed enclosure is a nice bonus. As I would sill like to access my spare tire easily. Will it sound better than than the JL? Anything other suggestions?

Yeah it is listed at 47hz. Where as the vented box is recommended at 1.36 cu ft and 27hz. I have a vented enclosure, but it is 1.8cu ft. tuned at 37hz.

Anyways, is the subwoofer worth it over what I curently have in said enclosure? Different enclosure. Better sub/box combo for sq?

https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Kappa-1200W-Audio-Subwoofer/dp/B072N44N3L#customerReviews

This sub hits lows like a basement sub yet still has its signature sq properties its a shockingly nice sounding subwoofer and nicely built/designed also. Its not a monster ground pounder style loved on here but honestly I like it more than the Dayton! and it would be louder than your current setup. Read the reviews for it on every single website.......

Yeah it is listed at 47hz. Where as the vented box is recommended at 1.36 cu ft and 27hz. I have a vented enclosure, but it is 1.8cu ft. tuned at 37hz.

Anyways, is the subwoofer worth it over what I curently have in said enclosure? Different enclosure. Better sub/box combo for sq?
I would rebuild the box for your current sub first. 37hz is way too high of a tune for sq. That sub should sound a lot better tuned to 28-30hz. Airspace should stay around 1.6-1.8 cf. 

I would rebuild the box for your current sub first. 37hz is way too high of a tune for sq. That sub should sound a lot better tuned to 28-30hz. Airspace should stay around 1.6-1.8 cf. 
If I am going to build a new enclosure I may as well upgrade the sub too is how I see it right now. I thought I had something worked out for an Image Dynamics 12 v.3 D2 but I'm not sure if that fell through or not yet. I am open to suggestions though to outperform the jl even if it was in the proper enclosure. I see great reviews on those Dayton HO but I also see people saying I would be disappointed. ?

If I am going to build a new enclosure I may as well upgrade the sub too is how I see it right now. I thought I had something worked out for an Image Dynamics 12 v.3 D2 but I'm not sure if that fell through or not yet. I am open to suggestions though to outperform the jl even if it was in the proper enclosure. I see great reviews on those Dayton HO but I also see people saying I would be disappointed. ?
Rebuilding the box to something better suited to your listening goals should be step 1. If you still don't like it then upgrade the sub. If you switch to a sealed box you will loose a ton of output especially below 50hz which is 90% of the spectrum. 

There's no way I would shove a 12 in a box that small. .8cubes will allow the sub to dig deeper while only losing a little power handling.

The jl sig you have will work is a similar sized box as well.

And as others have said building a proper box for the jl sig you have will completely change how it sounds

Looking for a 12" SQ subwoofer to pair with a set of Morel Tempo Ultra 602 components.  I have 600W @ 4ohms and 900W @ 2ohms to throw at this new subwoofer. I have a budget of right around $200. If there is something significantly better for marginally more budget wise I will highly consider it. I am currently running a JBL 12W1v2-4 @ about 200W in 1.8 cu. ft. vented enclosure tuned to 37hz.

I was looking at the Dayton Audio RSS315HO-44 12" in a sealed enclosure at as close to spec as possible(0.49 cu. ft.). The smaller space of the sealed enclosure is a nice bonus. As I would sill like to access my spare tire easily. Will it sound better than than the JL? Anything other suggestions?
What JL are we discussing here?Maybe Im missing something.. You asking about the JBL sounding better?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.