Dual Battery Problem

Participant count
  • Participant list

soldiermedic
10+ year member

Noob4Life
Hey folks. I have an issue: I don't see how I am gonna be able to adequately power my system with an alternator that is computer controlled and switches on and off based on the charging level of the primary battery. It won't sense the levels of the accessory battery and kick on, and there's no part that I have seen that will force the issue to charge the second battery. Any ideas?

What vehicle are you using? 

I've been dealing with the Honda ELD for over 10 years.  It will turn off the alternator to save fuel.  I've developed a bypass for the ELD which is online and I can share if it is applicable to your situation.

My ELD bypass operates on a simple premise:  it tricks the computer to think the battery needs charging all the time (or when the user desires).  This bypass is reversible, non-destructive, and doesn't throw error codes.   It is unique to each vehicle and requires studying the vehicle schematics. 

The battery isolator just disconnects the rear batter from the front when the car is off.  The idea here is that extended listening with the vehicle off would only drain the rear battery.

If you can send me the charging system schematics that illustrate how the PCM monitors and controls the alt, I can review for a possible bypass.

What vehicle are you using? 

I've been dealing with the Honda ELD for over 10 years.  It will turn off the alternator to save fuel.  I've developed a bypass for the ELD which is online and I can share if it is applicable to your situation.

My ELD bypass operates on a simple premise:  it tricks the computer to think the battery needs charging all the time (or when the user desires).  This bypass is reversible, non-destructive, and doesn't throw error codes.   It is unique to each vehicle and requires studying the vehicle schematics. 
Hey Hope, I've been searching for weeks about our eld bypass on the 9th gen accords and cant find the solution. Every forum/post I keep finding online your knowledgeable feed back seems your the one that has the best knowledge of it. By chances have you came up with the solution to bypassing our eld? I'm trying to upgrade my electrical to power my sound system but know that its pointless with the eld functioning and controlling the alternators output. Please help...

I've studied the 9th Gen ELD wiring and I don't think it's the only thing in the signal chain.  The lighting also triggers a 14.4V output yet the lighting isn't ran through the ELD.  Also, after 2013 the alt isn't turned off, it's just regulated to 12.5V (or so it appears).   This is better than the alt turning off because you don't see low drops anymore.  

I haven't messed with the ELD bypass since I'm running an ultracap bank and a Group 34 AGM  it seems to supplement the stock system just fine (150k mi over 5 years).  

I have a 2015 Ford Focus and have recently pulled the BMS sensor on the negative terminal, previously I was only getting 12.5 to 13.5 now have a solid 14.1 to 14.7 consistently regardless of electrical load. Not sure if its similar with other vehicles. I also am running dual batteries and was looking for a solution for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.