Best bang/buck for XM

Participant count
  • Participant list

Littlefield

CarAudio.com Newbie
My 2016 Silverado has the base IOB head unit and 6 speakers. I listen to XM most of the time so one question is how much is it worth upgrading or is it just painting up the pig to mess with improving fidelity for that format. Second question is about adding an amp to the stock head unit vs upgrading receivers. I’m happy with the functionality of my radio and am not looking for huge sound. Just better quality fidelity.

Thoughts?

Welcome.

XM doesn't have high fidelity due to the transmission bitrate.  These days, keeping the stock head unit for its integration is common.  There are plenty of components available to handle the interface.  You want an amp/dsp with high level inputs, auto turn-on, factory EQ correction, and flexible channel assignments.  The DSP allows you to tune the sound system to your liking, add crossovers where it makes sense, and improves how "clean" the system performs at higher volumes.  

The new amp/dsp combos save space as well.  The main challenge with your vehicle is you need an interface, likely a MOST interface.

Welcome.

XM doesn't have high fidelity due to the transmission bitrate.  These days, keeping the stock head unit for its integration is common.  There are plenty of components available to handle the interface.  You want an amp/dsp with high level inputs, auto turn-on, factory EQ correction, and flexible channel assignments.  The DSP allows you to tune the sound system to your liking, add crossovers where it makes sense, and improves how "clean" the system performs at higher volumes.  

The new amp/dsp combos save space as well.  The main challenge with your vehicle is you need an interface, likely a MOST interface.
there is so much running thru stock H/U's ever since circa 2013 that replacing many decks is a monumental PITA. what year is your newer accord? The lil lady and i were looking at 2016 sedans the other day and the dual screens looked sick as hell, but the basshead/sound junkie in me just made me cringe

there is so much running thru stock H/U's ever since circa 2013 that replacing many decks is a monumental PITA. what year is your newer accord? The lil lady and i were looking at 2016 sedans the other day and the dual screens looked sick as hell, but the basshead/sound junkie in me just made me cringe
I have a 2014 Sport.  The models with the lower touchscreen are made by Alpine and have a clean, flat 3V RMS Balanced output.  You just snag the signal before the factory amp.

thats actually really good to know!! so, you just find the correct wire, cut it and cap it with a good RCA head?
I have the amplifier pin-out diagrams for 2014-2018 Accords.  You don't really need to put an RCA on it since it is balanced.  An amp/dsp with speaker level inputs is also a balanced input - and if there is a low level sensitivity setting you get easy termination, balanced input noise rejection, and a flat response. 

I have the amplifier pin-out diagrams for 2014-2018 Accords.  You don't really need to put an RCA on it since it is balanced.  An amp/dsp with speaker level inputs is also a balanced input - and if there is a low level sensitivity setting you get easy termination, balanced input noise rejection, and a flat response. 
awesome. didnt know they were also balanced inputs. good stuff sir!

I ended up getting Morel Maximo front component and rear coax speakers with an Alpine KTP-445U amp. I suspect I’ll be blown away with the improvement. May add a dsp later. They’re a little pricey.

siriusxm is horrible for sound quality. You can work with it a little bit if you have anything that improves a compressed source, like a good aftermarket radio has. It's still not that great. I use it primarily as a backup for listening to music as I am on the road a lot. If you listen to it long enough you can kinda convince yourself it doesn't sound too bad but switching to another source you'll quickly realize what you've been missing in sound quality.
I enjoy my maximos they're pretty good for the price imo, if installed correctly.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.