Sign in to follow this  
Littlefield

Best bang/buck for XM

My 2016 Silverado has the base IOB head unit and 6 speakers. I listen to XM most of the time so one question is how much is it worth upgrading or is it just painting up the pig to mess with improving fidelity for that format. Second question is about adding an amp to the stock head unit vs upgrading receivers. I’m happy with the functionality of my radio and am not looking for huge sound. Just better quality fidelity.

Thoughts?

Welcome.

XM doesn't have high fidelity due to the transmission bitrate.  These days, keeping the stock head unit for its integration is common.  There are plenty of components available to handle the interface.  You want an amp/dsp with high level inputs, auto turn-on, factory EQ correction, and flexible channel assignments.  The DSP allows you to tune the sound system to your liking, add crossovers where it makes sense, and improves how "clean" the system performs at higher volumes.  

The new amp/dsp combos save space as well.  The main challenge with your vehicle is you need an interface, likely a MOST interface.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 5:02 PM, keep_hope_alive said:

Welcome.

XM doesn't have high fidelity due to the transmission bitrate.  These days, keeping the stock head unit for its integration is common.  There are plenty of components available to handle the interface.  You want an amp/dsp with high level inputs, auto turn-on, factory EQ correction, and flexible channel assignments.  The DSP allows you to tune the sound system to your liking, add crossovers where it makes sense, and improves how "clean" the system performs at higher volumes.  

The new amp/dsp combos save space as well.  The main challenge with your vehicle is you need an interface, likely a MOST interface.

there is so much running thru stock H/U's ever since circa 2013 that replacing many decks is a monumental PITA. what year is your newer accord? The lil lady and i were looking at 2016 sedans the other day and the dual screens looked sick as hell, but the basshead/sound junkie in me just made me cringe

12 hours ago, youdoofus said:

there is so much running thru stock H/U's ever since circa 2013 that replacing many decks is a monumental PITA. what year is your newer accord? The lil lady and i were looking at 2016 sedans the other day and the dual screens looked sick as hell, but the basshead/sound junkie in me just made me cringe

I have a 2014 Sport.  The models with the lower touchscreen are made by Alpine and have a clean, flat 3V RMS Balanced output.  You just snag the signal before the factory amp.

12 hours ago, keep_hope_alive said:

I have a 2014 Sport.  The models with the lower touchscreen are made by Alpine and have a clean, flat 3V RMS Balanced output.  You just snag the signal before the factory amp.

thats actually really good to know!! so, you just find the correct wire, cut it and cap it with a good RCA head?

11 hours ago, youdoofus said:

thats actually really good to know!! so, you just find the correct wire, cut it and cap it with a good RCA head?

I have the amplifier pin-out diagrams for 2014-2018 Accords.  You don't really need to put an RCA on it since it is balanced.  An amp/dsp with speaker level inputs is also a balanced input - and if there is a low level sensitivity setting you get easy termination, balanced input noise rejection, and a flat response. 

11 hours ago, keep_hope_alive said:

I have the amplifier pin-out diagrams for 2014-2018 Accords.  You don't really need to put an RCA on it since it is balanced.  An amp/dsp with speaker level inputs is also a balanced input - and if there is a low level sensitivity setting you get easy termination, balanced input noise rejection, and a flat response. 

awesome. didnt know they were also balanced inputs. good stuff sir!