Speakers only work at low volume

Participant count
  • Participant list

klmclafferty

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm at a loss here, I bought an old truck with the head unit missing, so I bought a new one and hooked it up. The sound that came out sounded okay at about 20% volume, past that it sounded shakey and distorted. I assumed the speakers were the issue, so I bought new speakers and had the same problem. Next I ran all new wires from the head unit (constant, ignition, ground, and speaker wires) still did it. So I figured there wasnt enough power, so I got an amp and everything sounds distorted at all volumes with the amp hooked up. Idk what else to try and I need a radio I can listen to. Im not looking for the best sound system ever, just something to sound as good as the factory.

I really need help getting this fixed, shops quote me around 500 to fix it and that is not happening.

Head unit: Pioneer DEH-S1010UB Single CD Receiver with USB

Speakers: Scosche HD6904SD - 6x9" 4-Way Car Speakers (Pair)

amp: BOSS Audio R1002 - Riot 200 Watt, 2 Channel, 2/4 Ohm Stable Class A/B, Full Range, Car Amplifier

amp kit: BOSS Audio KIT2 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Wiring Kit

I suspect there is a factory amp that needs a low level signal and you are giving it a speaker level signal.  if so, feed the factory amp with the aftermarket head unit RCA outputs, or bypass the factory amp altogether (assuming speaker quantity and impedance make sense).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.