Nissan Versa SQ Build

Participant count
  • Participant list

SkizeR
10+ year member

New York
I thought i posted this here before, but i cant seem to find it to add updates... If its here and for some reason i cant find it, sorry.

Maybe 5 years ago, I saw that there was a car audio competition only 3 hours away from me (thats reasonable for NY). This is back when i first started helping at a shop and didnt know to much so this was all very new to me and i was pretty shy and nervous when i went. Fortunately, i was introduced to Josh, who is the owner of this Nissan Versa. At the time he had a Kia with a badass install that sounded killer. He actually won MECA's Best of Best of Show that year at World Finals. Josh and the installers Tom and Steve were more than happy to talk about the car, as well as give me a demo. I was absolutely floored. I've never in my life until then heard something like it. I think that was the moment that got me to where i am now in this hobby/business. Fast forward 5 years, and i get a message from Josh wanting to update the install in his Nissan Versa. It was a pretty good feeling considering the story above. First, i must say the original install was awesome, and sounded incredible. But, Josh is a competitor. He wasnt ok with knowing he will go to world finals this year and not take first (there were a few cars in his class that were just better, even if it was only by a hair. But at this level, every little bit matters). He told me what he wanted to do, and i told him its on. At first he had a few Zapco Z-150.2LX amps for the front speakers (Morel Elate Ti 6.5 and morel hybrid integra 4), a Z-150.2 for the sub, and a ST-2X for rear fill. This was all controlled by an Alpine radio with optical out to a Helix Pro DSP. Many know that the Helix, and the other equipment is about as good as it gets in their respective categories, but josh wanted more.  In comes a Carrozzeria ODR RS-D7xIII CD transport with the ODR RS-P99 processor, and an all scanspeak front stage, with 4 of the Z-150.2LX amps for the front stage, and some new speaker locations. Kick panels for midbass, and custom sail panels for the tweeters.

***NOTE***
Unfortunately, i wasnt very good this time around in terms of staying on top of photos of progress. I pretty much only have starting and finishing photos and not much detail in between. After a while you kinda just forget :/

Here is the trunk and a-pillars when it came to me. Done by one of the best when it comes to high end, sound quality car audio.

tA2WxO9.jpg

WBXeqxK.jpg

The Carrozzeria ODR Combo, and one of the Zapco Z-150.2LX amps

IiwMJKt.jpg
iquwBS5.jpg

Lkq9aEQ.jpg

After the install was done by the initial shop, Josh had other shops do some work like adding rear fill. After a bunch of installers were in and out of this car, the wiring had kinda gone south and needed a good amount of going through and reorganization.

8gwDBO9.jpg

First up was the "sail panels". In this car, there is no sail panel  from the factory. So i decided to make one. First mold was made of the door frame, door panel, and window. The next mold was with the door closed and mated up to the A pillar.

RVEblUd.jpg

Sd5K0wQ.jpg

7cHlfNU.jpg

And here we have the finished product. (like i said, im short on photos :/ ).  They are secured to the car with riv nuts and Stainless security screws. The window still fully functions with these in place.

0XeyiD3.jpg

K6uPwvr.jpg

The a pillars flush mount needed to be widened to accept the new, and slightly larger mids. The Scanspeak Revelator 12m.

XH0Om36.jpg

Like all of my installs, each driver got XT60 quick disconnects, solder, and heatshrink.

UQN9fhc.jpg

Wiring for the relay to power the amps and LED's

p2w6Q2s.jpg

Scanspeak Discovery 22W 8" midbass with xt60 connector soldered and heatshrunk on its pigtail. Do not sleep on these midbass. Very efficient, can play high, can dig low, only needs 0.5 cubic feet.

ibsVI9Q.jpg

Mold of the kick panel was made, pulled, then strengthened with a layer of carbon fiber, more layers of fiberglass, and another couple layers of carbon fiber. The baffle is made out of 2 pieces of 3/4" Birch

MWnfqfF.jpg

The new amp rack wired up for testing and tuning.

6hYr6rk.jpg

Some teasers of the (almost) finished product.

O5lrbNw.jpg

BmudGRU.jpg

The midbass enclosures with grills. The grill was made out of a negative of the birch baffle, and protects the driver with a steel grill which is all wrapped in grill cloth for aesthetics and to keep out dirt. These were vented from the back into the frame rail of the car to keep it in the MECA modified class. The pillars with the new mids wrapped in matching headliner, and the sails were wrapped with matching vinyl on the front, and black suede on the back sides where it meets the a-pillar as well as the window. 

NqgwIIv.jpg

ZcVtdMb.jpg

c6FGuxe.jpg

The ODR transport. Just beautiful.

JD9qHFi.jpg

lXkTwfJ.jpg

the trunks finished product. (excuse the finger smudges on the acrylic. forgot to clean them before photos. oops)

QAFTFdV.jpg

x2Dp1ai.jpg

A few months later...

Hes baaaaaaack...

Josh, as some of you may know, doesnt just leave things along. Hes a stage 5 swapper. This time is was the head unit, the dsp, and the tweeters. On top of that, we also blacked out the whole interior, and deadened the roof while we were in there. In some cars everything below the window line is black, and everything above is tan. In my opinion, this is just silly and cheap looking. I have not a god damn clue why any car manufacturer does this, yet almost all mainstream brands do. Heres a before.

ZeI9vcE.jpg

First thing we did was loosen the a-pillars, remove the visors, dome light, grab handles, and b-pillars. From there we were able to slip the headliner right out of the hatch.

RPkBdYf.jpg

Roof deadened with SDS Tiles. Only the best.

FUAy2WI.jpg

From there, we used DAP weldwood landau top adhesive to secure 1" thick open cell foam supplied from Madisound over the entire roof.

qqCGVnA.jpg

The headliner was re-wrapped, and all plastics were done in satin black, which matched the oem door panels very well. Pictures do this ZERO justice. This is by far the best interior upgrade you can do if your car uses the colorway that he had (tan up top, black on the bottom). Its a whole new car now.

VoASCk4.jpg

hvgpCBj.jpg

Even the visors were done and the oem warning labels were fully retained

GuQQDcr.jpg

The Carozzerria ODR transport and processor were swapped out for a Sony RSX-GS9, and a Helix DSP Pro MK2 (which is what i told him to stick with in the first place, but josh doesnt like to listen to me.. go figure lol). We also had to fabricate a new beauty panel to cover the spaces between the helix and amps.

3Em7pVv.jpg

The scanspeak d2904 tweeters were swapped for these Mundorf tweeters. Both sound very good.

GcyUHKH.jpg

The Sony is being fed music from an iPad mini 4. which is being held in place with a The Joy Factory mount. It works well. As you can see the old director panel (from his original install was put back into place. The iPad goes to the Apple camera kit which supplies the ipad power while also passing data to the Sonys USB-DAC input. We opted to use the Onkyo High Res app, and i am personally loving it. I had a very strong feeling that Josh wouldnt considering his tastes and how he carries around maybe 200+ CD's in his car at all times and claims to not be up to snuff on current technology. I even bet Banny Z 50 bucks that it would be uninstalled before mid march.. Plot twist, he loves it as well.

3yKgQ6H.jpg

My only complaint is that the USB-DAC input requires a cable to come out of the front.

4Kzlh3C.jpg

Iyg5FqS.jpg

hfJv3aK.jpg

Another update. Amp swap..

Josh is back again, this time to swap amplifiers. He went from the Z150.2LX to the new Z150.2AP. First thing we noticed is that they look much better than the old LX. Most of the online photos dont do them justice (and make them look a weird gold color for some reason). The second thing that we noticed was that the noise floor disappeared even though we had the gains high enough for plenty of headroom with the volume knob (ps, the gain knobs on these amps are not the same as the LX amps. The gains on these need to be turned up more vs the LX). The second thing that Josh noticed was that the sound was more detailed than the previous amps. I reserve my thoughts on that as im not as familiar with the cars sound as the owner.

5bHiIor.jpg

mOJeqzl.jpg

gO0vvPY.jpg

Ajf2UyR.jpg

kkQTUOG.jpg

yriz38d.jpg

CaHavGl.jpg

zpdn7AU.jpg

59iUDeh.jpg

6uUiYKn.jpg

6K6m3YK.jpg

G02y6go.jpg

And another few months later...

More updates.. 

As you guys know, Josh doesnt stop. The changes and upgrades do not end. Its a vicious cycle. But, as usual we did some changes not to long ago, but i never got finished pictures. He came back for some tuning before SVR and i figured i'd take the finished pictures while i have a chance and upload a build log for it.

Updated equipment list:

Sony RSX-GS9 with iPad mini
APL1 (currently bypassed as it will not connect to my potato of a laptop, new laptop incoming)
Helix DSP Pro Mk2 with Director
(5) Zapco Z-150.2AP Amps
Zapco ST-2X
Mundorf AMT19CM2.1-C
Audio Technology 15H
Dynaudio MW182
Tangband 2" Fullranges for rear fill
Acoustic Elegance SBP 15" with Apollo motor upgrade

2 problems though. 

1) I cannot find my second SD card that has some of the pics on it. I am missing most of the pillar build, the subwoofer install, most of the kick panel build, and the amp rack under the beauty panel with the amps finally mounted and wired. 

2) i really do not feel like going through every photo and describing what each one is right now. Will do that at a later date. 

The TLDR is: The car was built to fit MECA Modex class rules. The dash was cut to accommodate a large enough enclosure to house and give proper airspace to the Audio Technology midranges. We ended up at 3 liters. The tweeters were moved to the pillars directly over the pillars and overhang them to get the acoustic center as close as possible. I decided on doing them in a vertical orientation. Aesthetics were second to sound quality, so we decided to mount them in this fashion to combat horizontal crossover lobing. We arent so much concerned about vertical because our vertical position in the car doesnt really change, but our horizontal does, even if it only is a few inches. Theoretically, with them mounted the way they are vs before, there will be better cohesion between the tweeter and midrange while moving your head around the little bit you do while driving. Another reason, which relates to the previous, is we want to have a crack at 2 seat competition formats. Like i said, this orientation will provide us a more predictable and usable system response from multiple locations along the horizontal plane. We also mounted the subwoofer infinite baffle in the floor. What we did was take a big, thick fiberglass mold of the entire trunk floor (7+ layers of 1708 Biaxial mat), cut out the diameter of the sub in the mold and the bottom of the spare tire well, made a baffle for the sub and glassed it to the mold. Before attaching the mold to the car, we used 2 layers of aluminum grill, 2 layers of hydrophobic mesh, and a thin layer of fiberglass insulation to prevent the mesh and grill from resonating against each other. We did something very similar with the kick panels. Made a very dense housing for the MW182, secured it over the cutout, and made a beauty panel. We also had to move the clutch pedal over about an inch. Seats were also relocated further back to further lower path length differences. In the end, it resulted in probably the best sounding car thats come out of my shop.

For descriptions of each photo, view the album on my facebook page. Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/pg/ApicellaAutoSound/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2056318808030389

dYUnbOw.jpg

26X27vm.jpg

HTV2fEV.jpg

IugI7JE.jpg

40rKabc.jpg

JdIcpDE.jpg

QB8SWCy.jpg

wO6SLuJ.jpg

gCJi4yS.jpg

RVV5KuX.jpg

lF45Z0j.jpg

u3zvuTv.jpg

IcgZE5l.jpg

2KvazSM.jpg

ZIozOfu.jpg

cNgJJeF.jpg

P2PH5Cd.jpg

oZekP9X.jpg

vaMklrQ.jpg

SI0Fp8m.jpg

QA3gceV.jpg

uskbEJM.jpg

e51e82O.jpg

3Jl9KY5.jpg

IhFdLRR.jpg

bDFk8lH.jpg

6plsINm.jpg

3WkKvlR.jpg

DhOPZFJ.jpg

FWwPis6.jpg

GMeRD56.jpg

JjNyT6T.jpg

Dw8w4Rd.jpg

D1UPplM.jpg

VCb3849.jpg

yPZGyfl.jpg

Sumh2lb.jpg

j9l7amq.jpg

xKpfGXK.jpg

vCAwmee.jpg

K89xUoV.jpg

Xqcdewf.jpg

heOgoH5.jpg

JJrR59F.jpg

fk6iddN.jpg

ZAx0nml.jpg

chgGgT2.jpg

pflMDtk.jpg

OnOqQdv.jpg

mnndioO.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So many pictures.   Thanks so much for sharing.

Great work as always.  I rented the Versa this winter for a trip from an airport and it looked like a great car for an audio build. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.