Uisng a Smart phone wiht amp, no head unit

Participant count
  • Participant list

MOguy

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a Jeep wrangler and need stereo I can hear but it doesn't have high end, just loud enough.I had a 4 channel amp under the seat and worked great for about 10 years and finally died.I want an amp that fits where the head unit goes, I want to plug my smart phone into the amp and no head unit. I want it out of the way and better protected. I am running 4 speakers and a sub. I spliced the left front and rear speakers together and the left front and rear speakers together and bridged the sub.Space is limited in a Wrangler and I don't want another big amp taking up floor space.

I have a Jeep wrangler and need stereo I can hear but it doesn't have high end, just loud enough.I had a 4 channel amp under the seat and worked great for about 10 years and finally died.I want an amp that fits where the head unit goes, I want to plug my smart phone into the amp and no head unit. I want it out of the way and better protected. I am running 4 speakers and a sub. I spliced the left front and rear speakers together and the left front and rear speakers together and bridged the sub.Space is limited in a Wrangler and I don't want another big amp taking up floor space.
ok, so are you asking if its possible to do this? because it technically is, but its nowhere near ideal unless you have an amp with BT built in as the line out on any phone isnt going to be sufficient signal to an amp, much less a 4 channel amp that youll have to split the rca's to

Thank you for your response.

would a Blue tooth adapter for the amp be sufficient?

Last edited by a moderator:
no problem. it can be as long as it has enough voltage output. have you looked on parts-express.com? i was leary of that site before i actually bought stuff off it. Its basically the amazon of audio parts
No I haven't. Thanks for the tip, I will have to check them out. The amp in my jeep just died.   I bought that amp about a decade back. I was smarter on car audio back then. The amp I had was fine but huge.  I am hoping to fine one small enough to fit where I want it.  

Are there amps as small as head units that can provide much power?

you are stuck with your phone's audio and processing chip which is pretty garbage. I would not advise that at all since you have zero audio adjustment options as well.  Nothing beats a good head unit other than a good DSP. The head unit is the brain of the whole setup, No brain = garbage retarded performance from every other part you put in.

No I haven't. Thanks for the tip, I will have to check them out. The amp in my jeep just died.   I bought that amp about a decade back. I was smarter on car audio back then. The amp I had was fine but huge.  I am hoping to fine one small enough to fit where I want it.  

Are there amps as small as head units that can provide much power?
full range class d amps are TEENY in comparison to the old school class a/b amps of yesteryear and the new ones put out serious power. you can even get a 5 channel thats likely smaller than the old 4 channel youre replacing (depending on how huge the old amp was), but a deck is strongly recommended in 99% of applications

you are stuck with your phone's audio and processing chip which is pretty garbage. I would not advise that at all since you have zero audio adjustment options as well.  Nothing beats a good head unit other than a good DSP. The head unit is the brain of the whole setup, No brain = garbage retarded performance from every other part you put in.
yep, i was getting there, but you beat me to it :D

Most phones have very weak signal output, like .3v - .6v. You will need to use a line driver to boost the signal from the phone to the amp. I have successfully used a line driver and my Note 5 to play spl burps without using a headunit. I only had to turn the pots up about halfway on the line driver to get about a 4v signal to the amp, my phone does about .6v.

Most phones have very weak signal output, like .3v - .6v. You will need to use a line driver to boost the signal from the phone to the amp. I have successfully used a line driver and my Note 5 to play spl burps without using a headunit. I only had to turn the pots up about halfway on the line driver to get about a 4v signal to the amp, my phone does about .6v.
you talkin about thru the headphone jack?

I will make compromise as far as sound quality to save space.  I do want it powerful enough so I can hear it with the top down on the Jeep.  What is the signal strength of the head unit if I am using RCA jacks into the amp?

I will make compromise as far as sound quality to save space.  I do want it powerful enough so I can hear it with the top down on the Jeep.  What is the signal strength of the head unit if I am using RCA jacks into the amp?
depends on the deck. usually 2v or 4v for most decent/good decks. But if youre even considering a deck, do it. Bluetooth to it if you want, but a deck is a cornerstone of any system

Yup, 3.5mm to rca cable into the line driver then rcas to the amp inputs. The line driver needs to be powered so I added an inline rocker switch. I'm not sure I would advocate this configuration for a daily setup but its very simple and works extremely well for the way I use it. 
yeah, it seems a bit wonky in comparison to a simple h/u for like $80 andbt to it or use a usb stick or both

Willing to bet you'll cringe when you actually hear the setup and your mind about sound quality will change immediately. its not some compromise in sound quality its literally a 60% reduction in sound quality.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.