Sign in to follow this  
youdoofus

boland audio

this guy seems to be an OG contributor to bringing us the wonderful art series and so forth, well now he seems to be making a no compromise amp for 2018. anyone heard of him here?

Absolutely. Bernie is one of the “legends”, bringing the Art series amps and Orion to the forefront. I’m certain his Boland amps are top of the line, as they should be at $2k a pop...

Traded with, bought from: Anthony O, Mitchell0715, kuda, Chevy Blazin', Babs, Captain Obvious, ciaonzo

'13 Camaro SS/RS

Kenwood DDX9903S - Arc PS-8

Arc Audio XDi 1200.6 - Audiofrog GB10, GB25, GB60

Helix SPXL1000 - (2) Audiofrog GB12D4 IB

1 hour ago, beak81champ said:

Absolutely. Bernie is one of the “legends”, bringing the Art series amps and Orion to the forefront. I’m certain his Boland amps are top of the line, as they should be at $2k a pop...

dude, i found one NIB for $700 on ebay. This dudes work looks amazing!!

Post up some internals, this sounds good and I wanna see.

Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

18 hours ago, ciaonzo said:

i cant :( im at work and its only on facebook and i dont want to have my machine have a record of going to a FB ip address, but its ok for me to be on here all day long LOL

i think im going to call them on my lunch, ive been told that Bernie Boland is a super nice and down to earth guy who likes chatting with folks about his products

On 8/6/2018 at 3:43 PM, youdoofus said:

dude, i found one NIB for $700 on ebay. This dudes work looks amazing!!

Do it bro! The presale price was $600 on all his new amps. Now they are pretty proud of them. I haven’t seen any reviews from anyone yet, so I’m not even sure how many people are using them.

If you have no budget, you should definitely look at Revelation Audio amps...

Traded with, bought from: Anthony O, Mitchell0715, kuda, Chevy Blazin', Babs, Captain Obvious, ciaonzo

'13 Camaro SS/RS

On 8/6/2018 at 3:54 PM, ciaonzo said:

F44B8A5E-DAE3-441D-9738-366EEB36EA5E.png

'13 Camaro SS/RS

404F77CF-E6B9-4826-8DC5-A46519BB9298.png

'13 Camaro SS/RS

9 minutes ago, beak81champ said:

Do it bro! The presale price was $600 on all his new amps. Now they are pretty proud of them. I haven’t seen any reviews from anyone yet, so I’m not even sure how many people are using them.

If you have no budget, you should definitely look at Revelation Audio amps...

Boland Audio very much seems like the absolute real deal. Bernie Boland is responsible for the designing and creation of the original HCCA amps from the golden era of cheater amps. 

if i had no budget, id run his stuff all day

6 hours ago, beak81champ said:

404F77CF-E6B9-4826-8DC5-A46519BB9298.png

Thanks, BobbyK! Those look great.

Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, beak81champ said:

Bernie was behind the Orion HCCA amps. He didn't have anything to do with the "Art" series PPI amps.

Absolutely State of the Art!

On 8/11/2018 at 12:01 AM, PPI_GUY said:

Bernie was behind the Orion HCCA amps. He didn't have anything to do with the "Art" series PPI amps.

he also designed the boards for the pre-art series PPI amps. I talked to him on the phone a couple times. dude is incredibly smart and funny

I think this came up last year at some point.  Yeah, amps look great, will probably perform great and last for decades,  and I'm sure he's a solid engineer, but why on Earth build a class A/B amp for car audio in this day and age?

I mean if you're going to go gimmicky to pander to snobophiles just throw a couple tubes in the pre-amp section, otherwise, modern class D technology is way past the point where there's any reason to avoid it.

2 hours ago, hispls said:

I think this came up last year at some point.  Yeah, amps look great, will probably perform great and last for decades,  and I'm sure he's a solid engineer, but why on Earth build a class A/B amp for car audio in this day and age?

I mean if you're going to go gimmicky to pander to snobophiles just throw a couple tubes in the pre-amp section, otherwise, modern class D technology is way past the point where there's any reason to avoid it.

hmph... i didnt see it last year, my bad if its a repeat

9 hours ago, youdoofus said:

he also designed the boards for the pre-art series PPI amps. I talked to him on the phone a couple times. dude is incredibly smart and funny

Yeah, he may have been involved with the early PPI's but, Bruce McMillian was the guy who headed up the design side of PPI from the early 90's till late 90's. A updated version of his R.I.P.S. technology found in the 2350DM amps would eventually make its way into JL Audio's "slash" series when he joined that company. He's still there today.   

7 hours ago, hispls said:

That's my biggest question with Bernie's amps. There's no doubt he's building very high quality stuff but, the future isn't with class a/b. It's going to be with super efficient class D amps utilizing GaN FET IC technology that will rival the highest level marquee SQ amps currently available.
Plus, the trend seems to be amps with a smaller footprint not bigger.
There may always be some small niches of car audio that refuse to embrace class D and that's fine but, it's hard for me to see a company surviving for years relying entirely on sales to that small group.

BTW, here's a good read on the significance of GaN FET and how it will  ultimately allow class D to equal or possibly surpass even class A amplifiers.
https://audiophilereview.com/cd-dac-digital/why-well-soon-be-living-in-a-class-d-world.html

14 hours ago, PPI_GUY said:

Yeah, he may have been involved with the early PPI's but, Bruce McMillian was the guy who headed up the design side of PPI from the early 90's till late 90's. A updated version of his R.I.P.S. technology found in the 2350DM amps would eventually make its way into JL Audio's "slash" series when he joined that company. He's still there today.   

yeah, he told me he left in the late 80s

15 hours ago, PPI_GUY said:

BTW, here's a good read on the significance of GaN FET and how it will  ultimately allow class D to equal or possibly surpass even class A amplifiers.
https://audiophilereview.com/cd-dac-digital/why-well-soon-be-living-in-a-class-d-world.html

2 year old article and who is using those new FETs?   Legit breakthrough or just more SQ snake oil?

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this