Back after 10 years? with a 67 camaro, gutted full build - PICS!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Rsx_03
10+ year member

LoW aNd sLoW
miami
Restoring this 67 Camaro

Exterior almost complete - need to do hood, trunk, fix a booboo on the back, then paint

Mechanics - LS1 engine swap, 4 wheel independent suspension, power brakes/ steering, AC

Interior - you can see lol

So planning my SQ sound system before paint. 

HU - false old school radio just to control volume of Bluetooth reciever straight to amps

Front - hopefully find crystal sscs6 in kick panels and tweets in pillar

Rear deck - to be cut out and fiberglass a sealed box for a shallow mount 10".

Amps - find old school amps, probably mount under rear seats.

Trunk - fuel cell (gas tank) and battery. 

Sound deaden whole car, foam in little pockets that serve no function, silicone in gaps that can rattle

Should I place mid range in rear deck? Used to be a consensus that it messes with SQ

Should I place mid bass drivers in doors, rear quarter panel, or rear deck? Sealed or IB? 

Tweeters in pillars and kick panels?

Any suggestions?

Please don't ramble "could", "IMHO", "heard from a guy", etc.

Thanks guys and gals!

20180804_191435.jpg20180804_191511.jpg20180804_191606.jpg20180804_191526.jpgIMG_20180805_082412_718.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, looks like you got a big job ahead of you rebuilding that car.

First and foremost you're in a perfect place to do some serious deadening.  There are some great options for products these days and you could really have a Cadillac quiet ride if you wanted.

Definitely don't put any mids and highs behind you.  It is still an acoustic nightmare.  Kicks or a-pillars for mids and highs, midbass can go into the doors just fine.... really mids in the doors can be OK, but if you can keep them on-axis (pointed right at where the dome light would be) you'll  generally have better results.

Unless you really love nostalgia I'd avoid old school amps.  Anything worth owning is OLD.  And I mean old to the point where electrolytic capacitors are due to fail.  So if you do buy an old school amp, make sure it's something that's really worth the cost of being professionally restored.  Even then modern class D technology is very nice.  You can get big power in a small footprint that runs nice and cool that you can stash in some out of the way places and not run into overheating troubles. 

So if you can get some really rare old school amp to put it on display, that would be pretty cool, otherwise if you just want good sound from something hidden you should definitely lean towards modern options. 

Freaking awesome post hispls, thanks. Yep lots of options for deadening and I'll need it, I'll research.

So narrowing it down for SQ:

Sub: 10" sealed rear deck. Currently can get a great great deal on a single shallow typeR for 600rms. I can even do 2x Image Dynamics 10" but would look tacky. 

Midbass - 6" or 8"? IB or sealed? Range? Angled up to doom light. Or forget completely?

Mids - angled up to doom light and IB. 

Highs - angled up to dome light

Some nice metal work going on in that vehicle.

This deserves a full-fledged 3way+subwoofer install, something powerful to drown out some of those sweet exhaust notes when you want to. There's so much possibility for massaging in large midbass drivers in that front area while you are doing the fabrication, it would be shame to miss that opportunity. You might also consider running mics in the tire wells and firewall area so you can feed that signal to the amplifiers with the opposite polarity. Noise canceling, ya dig?

Thanks for the compliments!

I'm a electrical engineer so semi following you, ciaonzo, do you mean microphones on an active inverting operational amplifier fed into my amplifiers to make basically noise cancellation? Problem is noise has to be at an equal amplitude to have cancellation effect. You'd need a dedicated system and calibrated. Awesome idea, I'll be looking into a dedicated system for extra quite rides. 

I'll be installing an exhaust cut off. So I can have an extra quiet exhaust or I can switch it to open turbo downpipe. Turbos love no back pressure.

Any opinions on porting the single 10" subwoofer? I'll have a bunch of extra space in the rear deck.

I'm a electrical engineer so semi following you, ciaonzo, do you mean microphones on an active inverting operational amplifier fed into my amplifiers to make basically noise cancellation? Problem is noise has to be at an equal amplitude to have cancellation effect. You'd need a dedicated system and calibrated. Awesome idea, I'll be looking into a dedicated system for extra quite rides. 
Yes, exactly! Come to think of it, the mic grabbing the noise from outside the cabin would be introducing higher frequency noise that isn't actually heard inside of the vehicle. Maybe you could run one with shelving filters and feedback. I'm reaching here, I'm not an engineer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.