New setup help

Participant count
  • Participants list

kbtube

Hey all,

Long time lurker here. I have been into car audio for quite some time now, typically my installs have been sub-optimal, I'm trying to educate myself and do a better install with the quality components that I have. 

Image Dynamics NXS 30 6.5" component

RE Audio SEX-12 ( 1cf sealed )

Zapco C2K 9.0-XD

My questions start with running a 3 channel full range configuration and crossing over the sub. What frequency should I cross over at? Do they make adjustable line level crossovers? How much power will my components / sub get? Is this adjustable?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Please be kind!

Hi!

Crossover points between speakers and sub range between 60Hz-80Hz typically.  Some speakers like 80Hz HPF settings more than 60Hz so it's a safe bet to stay on the high side.  Factors include the type of music and typical listening volume.

http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/716344/zapco-c2k.html?page=53

This manual page shows you how to wire your system.  You will not find passive crossovers with flexibility at these power levels.  The speakers get the rated power for 4 ohm stereo and the sub gets the rated power for 4 ohm bridged (assuming those are 4 ohm speakers and a 4 ohm sub). 

To expand on crossover discussions, the slope (topology) of the crossover you use will also determine the desired crossover point.  You can easily build your own crossovers with parts available from Parts Express.  The cheapest is a single in-line component for a 6dB/oct slope: single capacitor for high-pass and single inductor for low-pass.  Increasing the slope to 12dB/oct, 18dB/oct, 24dB/oct, etc. adds another component each time (which adds cost, complexity, and physical size).   Because a 6dB/oct slope is pretty shallow, you may want an even higher speaker crossover point (such as 100Hz since the speaker will only be 6dB down at 50Hz).  Likewise, a 60Hz LPF at 6dB/oct means the sub will only be 6dB down at 120Hz.  You'll find that you will want a 12dB/oct slope, most likely.  Parts Express also has charts for what values of capacitor or inductor for each slope and point. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.