Ant dog

CarAudio.com Newbie
Kinda want to run xtant to qsd213's 

And diamond hex s500's and hex amp

But also thinking focal amps being newer 

Anybody got a insight ?

I'm assuming @ focal amp is as good as xtant was

I'm trying to build a sq system

Nothing wrong with Xtant but, they are no longer in business...at least at the level they once were. So, if you are using 90's or early 2000's models you may have some maintenance work to do on them. Certainly some of the best amps at the time they were new though.
Someone mentioned Bernie Boland's amps and his gear definitely looks good and apparently Ryan or Dereck (BigD) will be doing some testing on a few models in the near future. As stated though, pricey.

Another option for high-end SQ amps made here in the US is Tru Technology. They too are expensive. I've used some of their older Billet models and they do not disappoint. Their new Super Billet's in the piano black gloss finish are just about the sexiest amps I've ever seen IMO. Many levels of customer appointed upgrades are available from the factory (or later) as well.

There are a lot of good options these days.  Manufacturing methods have improved from the days of old and the industry has learned a lot.  The SQ competition scene is growing and there are a lot of successful installations.  There is also a wide range of amplifiers being used.  I've been really happy with the Audison LRx5.1k as a flexible amp ideally suited for a 2-way active front + sub.  I have competitor friends running Zapco, Mosconi, Audison, Focal, Genesis, etc. with success. 

I like xtant amps (ran them for over 10 years and still own some) but agree they need some updates if they are the pre-2000 versions.

How many drivers are you using?

There are a lot of good options these days.  Manufacturing methods have improved from the days of old and the industry has learned a lot.  The SQ competition scene is growing and there are a lot of successful installations.  There is also a wide range of amplifiers being used.  I've been really happy with the Audison LRx5.1k as a flexible amp ideally suited for a 2-way active front + sub.  I have competitor friends running Zapco, Mosconi, Audison, Focal, Genesis, etc. with success. 

I like xtant amps (ran them for over 10 years and still own some) but agree they need some updates if they are the pre-2000 versions.

How many drivers are you using?
holy crap!!! @keep_hope_alive made an appearance!! @Ant dog feel special, this guy is a consummate professional and gives rock of gibralter solid advice

Hi there!  Thanks!

I'm back.  I will make a regular effort moving forward to keep up with the forum as I can.
glad to see you back!! im betting that several senior members are glad to see someone with your expertise back in the fold as well! Looking forward to your build logs and just pics in general esp since the page has made it so much easier to upload images

Im running a set of eton made hex 6.25 

Qlogic kicks and a diamond hxm 800.4 with the tweeters active 

May add the 3rd mid-range but it's gonna sound pretty good 

Last edited by a moderator:
Listened to a audio control amp hooked up to a set of 999$ focals.sounded better than the JL amp, audio control amps are slick ,compact 

Noticeably more definitive was the audio control 

I should get a xtant some time and see if it sounds better than the hxm , l doubt it will sound any better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Listened to a audio control amp hooked up to a set of 999$ focals.sounded better than the JL amp, audio control amps are slick ,compact 

Noticeably more definitive was the audio control 

I should get a xtant some time and see if it sounds better than the hxm , l doubt it will sound any better.
depends on the xtant amps you audition. the x series amps are super clean sounding with a very low noise floor and equally low thd. Also have regulated power supplies in the later models. Those things combine to make a very sought after amp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.