Stereo wont come on unless both ingition and memory wire are connected together.

Participant count
  • Participant list

drips702

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 2005 magnum and i bought an aftermarket stereo with dash kit.

Everything is hooked up correctly(i think) and from what i have read the magnums do not have an ingition wire (red) even though its included in the harness. So from what i have read i needed to tap into the cigarette lighter to receive ignition power. 

My problem is that when i do this i het no power, i figured out that the only way i get power and get the stereo working is if i connect both ignition and memory power wires to the same 12v cigarette lighter. My stereo works i just cant save presets

Anyone know what is the problem? I have a left over "illumination" wire but it wont work. 

So my understanding is that you don't have an ignition wire so you have to hook up the red to the cigarette lighter. Your yellow needs to be hooked up to a constant power (usually yellow from the adapter if you have one). If you hook both red and yellow from your head unit to the cigarette lighter, then your presets will not get saved as the power to that source turns off when you turn off your car. The illumination wire goes to the illumination wire on your adapter. If one is not available, then just tape it up and forget about it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.