Help choosing 6.5

mestapho

I’m frozen by the tyranny of choice. 

My budget is up to $120/pair. 

I have the Vifa eBay ring radiator tweets already

the mids/tweeters will be powered by a Pioneer GMD 8604 

What should I get that’ll x-over well with my 4 - 8” subs and the Vifa tweets (I’ve read they should go no lower than 2500). Limited to 3” depth unless I get/build a spacer. 

I second that reccomendation. And if you can squeeze out just a few more dollars, I would grab the aluminum cone version for a big improvement in performance. It's just much better behaved in the passband and the bass/midrange is very impressive.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-6-7-woofers-sb-acoustics/sb-acoustics-sb17nbac35-4-6-black-aluminum-cone-woofer-4-ohm/
ive seen people drooling all over these things. Do you suppose that theyd be a good choice for my B&W home speakers too? The older kiddo in the house blew my 6.5"s in one pair of the bookshelf speakers i run and i got a pair of PRV PA style speakers to replace the blown drivers. Im not thrilled by the results, but im not angry either. Just curious if you guys think that they are worth the price to upgrade and likely sell the PRVs or maybe just add them to my cars front doors in a custom baffle

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you suppose that theyd be a good choice for my B&W home speakers too?

Just curious if you guys think that they are worth the price to upgrade
Not as a plug and play solution, no. As the original crossover components were selected for a target roll-off based on the original driver's in-cabinet impedance and frequency response profile, you should not expect the same results for a different driver with a different profile. Not to mention, because of the copper pole sleeve the impedance on these SBA drivers is almost ruler flat unlike many other drivers, including the original B&W driver. Things will be messed up in the crossover region unless you address the necessary change in crossover components.

Definite yes on the second question. Why in the world did you go ghetto with PRV drivers for home hi-fi? For B&W speakers, no less. Just something you had laying around?

Not as a plug and play solution, no. As the original crossover components were selected for a target roll-off based on the original driver's in-cabinet impedance and frequency response profile, you should not expect the same results for a different driver with a different profile. Not to mention, because of the copper pole sleeve the impedance on these SBA drivers is almost ruler flat unlike many other drivers, including the original B&W driver. Things will be messed up in the crossover region unless you address the necessary change in crossover components.

Definite yes on the second question. Why in the world did you go ghetto with PRV drivers for home hi-fi? For B&W speakers, no less. Just something you had laying around?
gotcha

no, i purchased them specifically for the cabinets. I figured id try em out. ill see when i have the cash for it and snatch a pair. Thanks man

Thanks for the replies. Just seeing them today. I guess my notifications aren’t working with the update.  I ended up getting Pioneer TS M650Pro’s for $70 to my door. 

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_65567_Pioneer-TS-M650PRO.html

they were in my budget and the specs and build looked good.  Should be able to fill the mids from my 8’s to the Vifa tweets.  Plan is to bandpass from 80-100 to 2500Hz.  At this point I have everything but the R mid/tweet installed. Amazing how many runs to stores I’ve made in the last week when I realized I forgot ANOTHER small/not so small thing.  

gotcha

no, i purchased them specifically for the cabinets. I figured id try em out. ill see when i have the cash for it and snatch a pair. Thanks man
Yeah, I think you'll like them. They'll be very different from the PRV drivers, those likely have very stiff suspension and not much going on below 100Hz. The SBA have a very soft suspension and make clean bass down to 30Hz or so. You won't be able to dump power into them like you can the PRV but that's okay, they don't need much more than 50-75w to do everything.

Yeah, I think you'll like them. They'll be very different from the PRV drivers, those likely have very stiff suspension and not much going on below 100Hz. The SBA have a very soft suspension and make clean bass down to 30Hz or so. You won't be able to dump power into them like you can the PRV but that's okay, they don't need much more than 50-75w to do everything.
right on. yeah, its running off a Denon receiver and i have a DefTech powered 10" sub for the low end, so the bass response being that low isnt what im after necessarily. I was also looking at the silver flutes as another non pa style driver for a smoother response

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.