HU DSP/EQ/X-over or Audio contorl EQX?

mestapho

I'm about to install my first system since 'Nam.  I have a Pioneer MVH-S600BS installed.

I have my old, circa 1993 Audio Control EQx series ii that is in perfect shape.  Which should I use for EQ/X-over duties?

System will be Pioneer GMD8604 and GMD9601.  Sub - 4 8" Blaupunkts,  Mid is TBD but some 6.5 maybe silver flute, and Vifa ebay tweeters.

I'm pretty sure the Pioneer is the better choice as it is 25 yrs more modern but thought I'd ask anyways.  It appears the current EQx is identical.

The other thing is the amp doesn't have a SS filter so with the HU X-over I'm pretty sure I can set HPF and LPF for the sub channel.

Photo Jul 02, 9 21 03 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 02, 9 21 47 PM.jpg

oldschool stuff like that is cool, but really more for nostalgia and collection purposes. it doesn't hold a candle to the **** we can do with new hu's and DSP's. you can probably sell it for a good price 

I’m still running an EQX and I’ll tell you that thing sounds great with the HU handling time alignment. I have a JL TwK DSP in each of my other two vehicles and although you can’t beat the DSP with a proper tune, there is just something about that EQX that just sounds good. I’m nostalgic, so I say keep it. 

I’m still running an EQX and I’ll tell you that thing sounds great with the HU handling time alignment. I have a JL TwK DSP in each of my other two vehicles and although you can’t beat the DSP with a proper tune, there is just something about that EQX that just sounds good. I’m nostalgic, so I say keep it. 
I would say keep it as well.  I have heard some of the older Audio Control products have had noise issues but other than that they sound awesome.

No noise issues with my AudioControl stuff and that is with a DQ61, EQX, and two 2XS crossovers. Anyone who has any noise issues with these likely did the install wrong. All of these devices can send over 7 volts to your amplifiers; keeping the noise floor of the amplifier to the lowest it can be. Although old school analog, these things are top notch quality. They would also make great active crossovers for home audio gear with a cheap plug in 12 volt power supply. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.