EQ settings.... Duh!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

ThxOne
Premium Member

The Boss
  So it has been several days now since I remembered some audio knowledge I was given oh so many years ago... something I always do on my computer but it somehow slipped my mind in the Jeep. I set my amp gains with 0db test tones for the full range and the sub amp (1khz and 40hz). Of course ALL eq's and enhancements were flat or off on everything and my HU volume was 33 of 35. So, after ALL is set and I am feeling good about myself, what do I do? I adjust the EQ of course. EQ was flat and I began adjusting each of 13 bands... adjusting them north of 0db. You see where I am going? I was adjusting the EQ with the volume around 18 of 35... not loud but loud enough that I could hear what I was doing. Ok, everything is set and it sounds great... as I found out recently, it sounds good up to volume 25 where it would basically top out and not get louder.

What I figured out was I needed to adjust all 13 bands BELOW 0db so that's what I did. Holy crap! When I say it sounds like brand new speakers and a totally different stereo, I ain't lyin`. I have always set my computers EQ's this way... How did I forget to do this. My volume climbs all the way to redline (Volume of 30 of 35) without so much as a hiccup and it gets LOUD!!! The highest peaks on the EQ are at -1db. I put some pink noise on and tested the response with my lil Dayton mic I got for my phone and I got it pretty smooth by ear. Sadly or surprisingly I found the limits of my Kenwood eXcelon mid drivers. The song - The Pot by Tool. Right when the palm muted rhythm guitar comes in... those poor eXcelons were huffin and a puffin. I also noticed the tweeters sounded so much better when I leaned down to pick something up of the floorboard... my head was basically right between the tweeters... I am assuming that I need to mount them ON axis as they are currently OFF axis. The are mounted in the doors literally right above the factory speaker grills.

Here is the current EQ... 62.5hz appears to not be there but it is... it flashes when highlighted. Snapped the pic at the wrong time.

EQ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.