Jump to content


Bangler

Newbie - Need help with box design please

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, shredder2 said:

snip

Yes. 3-4" inches rearward to the gate with 12" available front.

Spitballing could be the word; I'd prefer flexibility. Original goal stands but I have limited experience here. I could throw something together solo but I'd prefer to maximize the available space. I have plenty of money so I could buy different subs, provided there is a reasonable argument but I'd prefer to use 3 of the V122 CW 12" subs that I started with. Amp is easily upgradable, lets not get bogged down on it   :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a dual 2 sub correct?.. thinking of loading the amp at 1.33ohm using 3?.. .66 seems a bit much for that Rockville.

10 minutes ago, Bangler said:

Yes. 3-4" inches rearward to the gate with 12" available front.

Spitballing could be the word; I'd prefer flexibility. Original goal stands but I have limited experience here. I could throw something together solo but I'd prefer to maximize the available space. I have plenty of money so I could buy different subs, provided there is a reasonable argument but I'd prefer to use 3 of the V122 CW 12" subs that I started with. Amp is easily upgradable, lets not get bogged down on it   ?

...So If I'm understanding this correctly its 28" available front to rear (depth) with 3-4" to the tailgate?

36" wide and 18" tall


JVC KD-X350BTS, Sundown Sa-15 5.7ft3 net ported @ 43hz, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't that a 2ohm stable amp?


JVC KD-X350BTS, Sundown Sa-15 5.7ft3 net ported @ 43hz, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, shredder2 said:

That's a dual 2 sub correct?.. thinking of loading the amp at 1.33ohm using 3?.. .66 seems a bit much for that Rockville.

...So If I'm understanding this correctly its 28" available front to rear (depth) with 3-4" to the tailgate?

36" wide and 18" tall

Total overall length in the rear is 42"  x 36" width x 18" height. My thoughts were to leave enough length for a battery box to the front. If the extra space is needed for the box, the batteries will go else where

12 hours ago, shredder2 said:

Isn't that a 2ohm stable amp?

The amp is rated @ 4000wrms @ 2ohm but I assume a <20% loss netting me closer to 3200wrms. After deliberating with a friend and a few beers. We figured we could run 3 @ 1.33 ohms with this amp for short excursions. Running below 2 ohms should net me some extra power... right? That's what we figured anyways.

 

 If the amp melts I'll upgrade to something different. If it pops the subs, I'm only out $300. Then I'll have an excuse to upgrade.

Edited by Bangler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bangler said:

Total overall length in the rear is 42"  x 36" width x 18" height. My thoughts were to leave enough length for a battery box to the front. If the extra space is needed for the box, the batteries will go else where

The amp is rated @ 4000wrms @ 2ohm but I assume a <20% loss netting me closer to 3200wrms. After deliberating with a friend and a few beers. We figured we could run 3 @ 1.33 ohms with this amp for short excursions. Running below 2 ohms should net me some extra power... right? That's what we figured anyways.

 

 If the amp melts I'll upgrade to something different. If it pops the subs, I'm only out $300. Then I'll have an excuse to upgrade.

Really don't know about Rockville's low impedance capability. 1.33ohm for short excursions... what does that mean anyways? Thinking of re-wiring the subs at 2.7ohm when not at 1.33 ohm?

Unless you're just playing around... I'd stick to 2 subs wired to 2 ohm in a proper enclosure. It just seems like a lot of work for what you're likely to get to me. Unless you're planning to upgrade subs and amp... in that case, build the enclosure for whatever you're going to get eventually and throw those Vegas in there till you switch out to more capable drivers and maybe different amp?.. 3200 wrms?.. Idk about that... maybe in the dark of the moon after sacrificing a goat when pluto and uranus align. I just can't see that amp delivering anywhere near rated... if you pop the subs it'll likely be cause of clipping. And that's if the amp lasts... I'd stick to 2 ohm if it was me with that amp.

Anyone else wanna add anything?

 


JVC KD-X350BTS, Sundown Sa-15 5.7ft3 net ported @ 43hz, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2018 at 2:48 PM, Bangler said:

 

Just messing. Shouldn't be a worry with this setup cause it isn't getting demo'd, I'm not competing, and I only ever drive 10-15 minutes at a time.

 

That's not how bad amps work.   Poorly built/designed amps don't need to be abused or ran hard to fail catastrophically.  The Hifonics XXV Sampson was famous for that with about 3 out of 10 blowing up as soon as you power them up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, shredder2 said:

Really don't know about Rockville's low impedance capability. 1.33ohm for short excursions... what does that mean anyways? Thinking of re-wiring the subs at 2.7ohm when not at 1.33 ohm?

Unless you're just playing around... I'd stick to 2 subs wired to 2 ohm in a proper enclosure. It just seems like a lot of work for what you're likely to get to me. Unless you're planning to upgrade subs and amp... in that case, build the enclosure for whatever you're going to get eventually and throw those Vegas in there till you switch out to more capable drivers and maybe different amp?.. 3200 wrms?.. Idk about that... maybe in the dark of the moon after sacrificing a goat when pluto and uranus align. I just can't see that amp delivering anywhere near rated... if you pop the subs it'll likely be cause of clipping. And that's if the amp lasts... I'd stick to 2 ohm if it was me with that amp.

Anyone else wanna add anything?

 

Cheap is good in this case cause the vehicle lacks security.  There are no doors, no locks, nothing to stop a thief from jacking the equipment. Perhaps I've provided to much information.

 I'm looking for a box design to meet three 12's in a maximum space of 42" Length x 36" width x 18" height. I will pay for a box design that meets my simple requirements; I'm flexible (provided a reasonable argument) to meet my goal of a top firing box with options of two 15's  -  or one 18 to any one that wants to design it.

 

I found of video of the DB16 on a dyno, its not that bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVlbCm034F0 

 

Please don't get bogged down on my personal risks here. I just want help with the box design please. Paid. Of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hispls said:

That's not how bad amps work.   Poorly built/designed amps don't need to be abused or ran hard to fail catastrophically.  The Hifonics XXV Sampson was famous for that with about 3 out of 10 blowing up as soon as you power them up.

That's great but there is no supporting evidence that the DB series of Rockville amps are prone to burn. This site seems to hate anything that affordable which is understandable.  No one wants to recommend something that, perhaps, may have a risk. I understand the risks, so don't worry about it.  ;p

 

You willing to help design a box?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bangler said:

 

 I'm looking for a box design to meet three 12's in a maximum space of 42" Length x 36" width x 18" height. I will pay for a box design that meets my simple requirements; I'm flexible (provided a reasonable argument) to meet my goal of a top firing box with options of two 15's  -  or one 18 to any one that wants to design it.

 

That's a nice big box.

Do you own those CV 12s already?  Did anybody confirm TS parameters?

2 hours ago, Bangler said:

That's great but there is no supporting evidence that the DB series of Rockville amps are prone to burn. This site seems to hate anything that affordable which is understandable.  No one wants to recommend something that, perhaps, may have a risk. I understand the risks, so don't worry about it.  ?

 

You willing to help design a box?

I've got a lot more experience building boxes for higher end subs.   Strong motor force and stiff suspension types all do well in "DD box" (look at DD's website for plans and specs).  Haven't done anything else in ages and haven't done any entry level tier stuff since the days when sealed box was the conventional wisdom.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

IDK if I'd assume you got 3200 watts on tap... but I came up with this.

IoLW0K.jpg

 

Edited by shredder2

JVC KD-X350BTS, Sundown Sa-15 5.7ft3 net ported @ 43hz, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shredder2 said:

 

IDK if I'd assume you got 3200 watts on tap... but I came up with this.

IoLW0K.jpg

 

I would flip the v shaped configuration around so there isn't a sub so close to the port. 


giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, THATpurpleKUSH said:

I would flip the v shaped configuration around so there isn't a sub so close to the port. 

Easy peasy...

gUwjRy.jpg

 

Yes, it'll be better like this... Thx


JVC KD-X350BTS, Sundown Sa-15 5.7ft3 net ported @ 43hz, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:29 PM, shredder2 said:

Easy peasy...

gUwjRy.jpg

 

Yes, it'll be better like this... Thx

Sorry shredder, work picked up so I've had no time for this project. Well some things changed over the last month so this isn't going to work anymore. Here's what happened if you're interested.

 

Last week I gave my friend my Rockville DB14 1000w RMS amp, a set of Pyle PLB8 8" subwoofers, sealed box, 2 farad capacitor (he didn't do the big 3) and some wiring to get him back into the stereo game. I hoped some cheap equipment would give him the bite. We spent 12 hours taking his Audi A4 apart, professionally installed everything by making it look absolutely factory original. Powered up the Pyles and found that we couldn't get more then 104db out of em'... It was the end of the day, my wife was calling for me to get back home; We were pressed for time and scratching our heads. Question was; "are those pyle speakers really that bad?" We had no time to find out. I ripped the 12" Cerwin Vega subwoofer out of my jeep and hooked it up to his car. 130db right out of the gate. Told him happy birthday and drove away.

 

I got home cracked a can of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and ordered a 15" Cerwin Vega ST154D Stroker 4 ohm 1200rms subwoofer with a generic box for now. Embarrassing part is, I don't know anything about this subwoofer.  Is it good? Mid grade or low end still?  I've read good things about the stroker series.

 

New plan is to run 2 of these subs in a custom box.

 

Is there anyways I can compensate you for your time on this design?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a 15" CV ST154D?.. what amp... the Rockville?

IIRC it was a Db4000 ... correct?

I used the CV troker 15d2 circa 1997 and it was a beast back then.

If it's anything like CV used to make, Imo that's one decent sub... i'll look at it... the Jeep still?


JVC KD-X350BTS, Sundown Sa-15 5.7ft3 net ported @ 43hz, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, shredder2 said:

For a 15" CV ST154D?.. what amp... the Rockville?

IIRC it was a Db4000 ... correct?

I used the CV troker 15d2 circa 1997 and it was a beast back then.

If it's anything like CV used to make, Imo that's one decent sub... i'll look at it... the Jeep still?

 

Yes. Rockville DB16 2000w RMS (I was mistaken, not 4000w RMS). I'm sure one isn't going to be enough for these subs so I'll order a second one. Two 15's with 4000w rms total in a top firing box with ports please.

 

Direct from the website:

RMS Power

1200 watt

Subwoofer Size

15" Subwoofer

Voice Coil Impedance

DVC 4 ohm

Voice Coil Size

3 inch voice coil

 

SPL (dB) 89.3 Re (Ω) [series] 6.5
Qms 2.8 Qes 0.34
Qts 0.30 Fs (Hz) 24.8
Vas (L) 123.0 Cms (mm/N) 0.133
Mms (g) 310.0 Sd (m2) 0.081
BL (T*M) 30.4 Xmax (mm) 16.4
Pwr (W) NOM/MAX 1200/2400    

DIMENSIONS

Total Diameter (A) 15.35 Inch 389.9 mm
Mounting Diameter (B) 14.07 Inch 357.4 mm
Screw Hole Diameter (C) 0.216 Inch 5.5 mm
Mounting Depth (D) 9.48 Inch 240.9 mm
Magnet Diameter (E) 8.45 Inch 214.5 mm
Hole Diameter (F) 14.75 Inch 374.7 mm
Displacement (ft3/L) 0.191 Cubic Feet 5.4 L
Edited by Bangler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that a soft top Jeep or hard top?


JVC KD-X350BTS, Sundown Sa-15 5.7ft3 net ported @ 43hz, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:39 AM, shredder2 said:

snip

hard top. I've been thinking about the box. I'd like there to be some symmetry to it if possible. Two ports would be ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wtf?... first time my previous posts aren't visible and snip in a quote?

weird... the designs are in my profile in my posts still but not in the thread anymore.

New format sux IMO.... my .02

Lol


JVC KD-X350BTS, Sundown Sa-15 5.7ft3 net ported @ 43hz, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, shredder2 said:

Wtf?... first time my previous posts aren't visible and snip in a quote?

weird... the designs are in my profile in my posts still but not in the thread anymore.

New format sux IMO.... my .02

Lol

I'm not seeing the new designs if they were posted.

 

I know designing boxes requires time to tune correctly so I'm going to condense everything down to this post for you to make it as easy as possible!

 At some point, we need a clear way to compensate you for your time and troubles. $200+ seems fair but we can figure that out when its done. Can't remember if I said it, but thank you for taking time to help me with this. I really do appreciate everything that goes into helping an internet stranger. I've spent a good deal of time over the years helping others on many forums so its nice to see there are plenty of people out there still willing to help.

 

  • Vehicle: 92 Jeep Wrangler Hardtop with no doors
  • Big 3 - 200a alt. (on order) - 1/0ga wires - 3 batteries - 3 300a fuses
  • box size: 42" Length x 36" width x 18" height (height: up to 24" if you need more volume) I'd prefer two ports for symmetry - If one is better, just put it in the center if possible. I don't care how complex it is, I have a woodworking shop in my basement and a whole winter to build this.   :) 
  • Amps: Rockville DB16 2000w RMS (x2)
  • Subwoofers: CV st154d (x2)

RMS Power

1200 watt

Subwoofer Size

15" Subwoofer

Voice Coil Impedance

DVC 4 ohm

Voice Coil Size

3 inch voice coil

 

SPL (dB) 89.3 Re (Ω) [series] 6.5
Qms 2.8 Qes 0.34
Qts 0.30 Fs (Hz) 24.8
Vas (L) 123.0 Cms (mm/N) 0.133
Mms (g) 310.0 Sd (m2) 0.081
BL (T*M) 30.4 Xmax (mm) 16.4
Pwr (W) NOM/MAX 1200/2400    

DIMENSIONS

Total Diameter (A) 15.35 Inch 389.9 mm
Mounting Diameter (B) 14.07 Inch 357.4 mm
Screw Hole Diameter (C) 0.216 Inch 5.5 mm
Mounting Depth (D) 9.48 Inch 240.9 mm
Magnet Diameter (E) 8.45 Inch 214.5 mm
Hole Diameter (F) 14.75 Inch 374.7 mm
Displacement (ft3/L) 0.191 Cubic Feet

5.4 L 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im gonna pass on the design... I've started a new job and have NO free time atm... id recommend  @cscstang or @buck ... lotsa others will probably step-up for the $.

Id start a new thread and someone else should help... sorry for the confusion


JVC KD-X350BTS, Sundown Sa-15 5.7ft3 net ported @ 43hz, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's free & easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×