Audio shop nightmare.. Please advise.

Dominium

Hello everyone. First post here, seeking some advice about a very expensive nightmare I've found myself in. Details and names redacted for privacy, this is not a witch hunt.

Around may I decided to have a system installed by an official audio shop.

I brought up my own used equipment that was traded for and working in a previous vehicle.

this includes a Soundstream 1000w mono block. and two 12in Rockford Fosgate p3sd2 subwoofers in a sealed enclosure in a 2014 Camaro. Everything else is completely stock including head unit and door speakers.

I brought this equipment to a local audio shop that has been around for at least 25 to 30 years and have them install it. It was about $250 to install.

It is now August and this adventure has cost me around $1,000 in the past 4 months.

the original Soundstream amplifier that I brought with me was getting stuck in protected mode.

the installer tested it and said that the amplifier was broken and replaced it with a weaker amplifier which was a JL jx500 500 watt mono block.

This amplifier sounded absolutely awful in the system barely was hitting at all I had him replace this 500 watt amplifier with a JL jx1000 watt monoblock amplifier

Within a week the new JL Audio 1000 watt amplifier was in protected mode as well.

I brought the car back up to the shop again and he said that one of the subwoofers had blown and that when he took it out of the circuit the other subwoofer worked fine.

He then recommended to order a replacement subwoofer Rockford Fosgate P3 2 DS.

At this point I was not feeling very comfortable as brand new equipment was now failing and I was getting mixed information from this technician so instead of reordering another Rockford Fosgate I asked him what he carried.

He offered to install two JL audio subwoofers at around $500 cost to me and i decline this as the JL audio subwoofers specifications were rated lower than the Rockford Fosgate subwoofers that had just gotten damaged.

So at this point I'm about $700 into the build with a brand new 1000 watt JL audio amplifier and one remaining working Rockford Fosgate subwoofer.

At this point I went with my gut and I've ordered 2 new 12 inch subwoofers from Sundown Audio and they should be arriving within the week. The technician is offered to install these without charging any further labor.

These subwoofers are rated higher than the Rockford Fosgate and meet the requirements of the amplifier on paper however I cannot afford to have any more equipment get damaged and I'm at a loss as to how to proceed should I allow him to continue working on this build or should I be seeking some type of legal recourse?

At this point I have about $1,000 invested and as of today the second Rockford Fosgate P3 12 that was working has now also died. This is about 5 days later. I currently have no working system and I'm waiting on these new subwoofers to arrive..

i ran over 900rms to a $80 600rms pioneer for long time no problems., sounds like your amp ground isn't good or so wiring issue maybe unless the shop don't know how to adjust your amp.. make sure amp ground is good no paint under spot it's mounted and no loose.. do u know what they set your amp at? gain lpxover? ss filter if subs are ported..u can buy the subs online save $ that way (not jl) i guess alpine R could work. we normally don't rec rf and alpine subs but if thats what u like.. sundown has good subs..

OP, which Sundown audio subs did you end up getting?

Im curious why your amps keep going into protect, and haven't fixed it. its either voltage drop from gain set too high, or bad ground in my experience.

the original Soundstream amplifier that I brought with me was getting stuck in protected mode.

Soundstream is garbage and it's very likely it is not the shop's fault that it failed. I'm guessing you did blow up the subs from overdriving them. JL gear is good quality and while a bit expensive you didn't get ripped off.

The vibe I'm getting here is the only place the shop failed was not explaining to you the limitations of all this equipment.

What shop? Lots of great shops around here, but a lot more shadetree (at best) shops around. Also sounds like you probably got ripped off on those RF subs. Previous owner probably knew they were on their last leg. At the same time this could all be user error. You maybe were expecting to much from the mediocre subs in a sealed box and cranked on it a little to much.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.