lurice0

Crossover settings

I have everything set at like 80 and i want to be more exact

My setup:

Up front is polk mm6502 (35-40k Hz) back is mm651 (40-25k Hz) all powered by Rockford p600-4.

Subs are 2 X-12 V.2 D4 - Sundown Audio (38.3 hz) powered by one of their 3000 amps.

My deck is a Kenwood DDX9903S 6.95" eXcelon Double-DIN that i hooked up to a Rockford 3sixty.3 dsp using low level rca cables. 3 sets of rca go from the dsp inputs to the head unit, 4 sets of rca cables go from the dsp outputs to the amps, so that i can also tune my separate front tweeters, however i really only have 6 channels?

Help me set HPF and LPF for front1 and front2, rear, and subs, based on my speakers specs?

I'm still saving for a quality RTA mic, meanwhile i just use the iPhone mic

Just set it safe until you can measure.

2014 Ford Fusion SE 2.0T

JBL MS-8

Zapco ST-4X SQ, ST-1000XMii

IDQ12v4 1.8cu sealed

Alpine SPX Pro ring radiators

Hertz HV165XL

Knuconceptz OFC, Custom fit Soundrive RCAs.

I can measure i just don't have a good mic, I'm also worried about just making sure I'm set up right.

Since I'm using the DSP (3sixty.3) should i get rid of the little crossover box that came with my front components? That would mean i need a little tweeter amp? Not sure front tweeters are hooked up right.

My tweeters up front sound weak, i have the tweeters hpf at like 2,500hz on the dsp

My midrange up front are HPF 80hz on dsp, those front components are on the amp and the hpf is set at like 100hz because it stresses if i go lower I think.

Same deal with rear coaxials, hpf 80hz on dsp but a little higher on the amp.

Subwoofers are LPF 80hz but sometimes i do band pass and try different things.

All my speakers are dual voice coils but i only wired my subwoofers in that strange way where one shirt wire connects 2 terminals together on the same speaker.

Bump

Sounds like you are in over your head. If you are using passive crossovers then the DSP will not have a filter.

Only the HPF for the midrange.

Only use one filter. DSP or amp.

2014 Ford Fusion SE 2.0T

JBL MS-8

Zapco ST-4X SQ, ST-1000XMii

IDQ12v4 1.8cu sealed

Alpine SPX Pro ring radiators

Hertz HV165XL

Knuconceptz OFC, Custom fit Soundrive RCAs.

I can measure i just don't have a good mic, I'm also worried about just making sure I'm set up right.

Since I'm using the DSP (3sixty.3) should i get rid of the little crossover box that came with my front components? That would mean i need a little tweeter amp? Not sure front tweeters are hooked up right.

My tweeters up front sound weak, i have the tweeters hpf at like 2,500hz on the dsp

My midrange up front are HPF 80hz on dsp, those front components are on the amp and the hpf is set at like 100hz because it stresses if i go lower I think.

Same deal with rear coaxials, hpf 80hz on dsp but a little higher on the amp.

Subwoofers are LPF 80hz but sometimes i do band pass and try different things.

All my speakers are dual voice coils but i only wired my subwoofers in that strange way where one shirt wire connects 2 terminals together on the same speaker.

leave the rear on head unit power.

Make sure your tweeters are on axis firing at your ears.

You have your tweeters on one pair of channels and mids on the other pair of channels. get rid of the passive crossover.

If you are using a passive crossover, you shouldnt be using any kind of tweeter high pass because it doesnt work that way, with a passive crossover in place your signal should be full range.

When you get rid of the passive crossover and run active like what i said earlier then you use the crossovers on the dsp.

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS......Mids/Highs two pioneer gm 8604 bridged, one at 4 ohms bridged one at 2 ohms bridged, one ppi 600.2 for tweets.

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

Ok jeffdachef, I'm removing the passive crossovers and hooking rears up to the deck. Do i then switch the amps to all pass filter so the dsp gets all the control? How do i tell the amps that I want to use the dsp?

My town has no stereo installation store nearby so i do it all, i am new to dsp

Ok jeffdachef, I'm removing the passive crossovers and hooking rears up to the deck. Do i then switch the amps to all pass filter so the dsp gets all the control? How do i tell the amps that I want to use the dsp?

My town has no stereo installation store nearby so i do it all, i am new to dsp

your RCA should go to the DSP, your dsp outputs RCAs. As long as the DSP is in the equation its in use, your amps are forced to amplify whatever the dsp outputs.

keep volume low until you know for sure that you have your crossovers in place and its working properly before you crank it up.

You can have the amplifier channel for the tweeters on high pass 500hz or less just for a 2ndary level of security from bass signals.

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS......Mids/Highs two pioneer gm 8604 bridged, one at 4 ohms bridged one at 2 ohms bridged, one ppi 600.2 for tweets.

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

Ok thanks for your help now I'm struggling to get these NEW front speakers sounding right with the DSP crossover and eq.

NEW MID FRONT SPEAKERS

Pioneer TS-M650PRO 6-3/4" PRO Series, 500w (110w)                       50 hz - 18khz    , impedance 4 ohms

NEW TWEETERS

Pyle-Pro PDBT49 2'' Heavy Duty Titanium Super Tweeter

300 Watts RMS/600 Watts Peak * Sensitivity:106 dB/w/m * Impedance:4-8 Ohm * Freq.Resp.:2 kHZ - 25 kHZ

all powered by the same 4 channel amp, the 

Rockford Fosgate T600-4

24dB slope

Power)

100 Watts x 4 @ 4-Ohm 

150 Watts x 4 @ 2-Ohm 

300 Watts x 2 @ 4-Ohm Bridged 

2-Ohm x 2 Bridged Stable

That amp doesn't even get warm very much. Should and could i be bridging the tweeters and or bridging the mid-ranges?

I use my rta mic and aim for a flat response and i will post pics of that soon because I'm not sure it's correct.

I use a computer program called DATS V2 and its tester clips hardware to calculate my speakers F(s) then double that number for where to set that speakers frequency response, but I don't know what my crossover slopes should be and how to make sure I don't have any dips or nulls. 

I use DATS as a oscilloscope to calculate where my gain should be but it's always clipping at very low gain and i turn gain up more anyway. Is DATS V2 to be ised as oscilloscope to set gain?

Edited by lurice0

Bump

Bump

Bump 

nobody is gonna be able to tune your system over the internet...you have been pointed in the right direction, its all trial and error, some settings work well in some vehicles some dont. all make/models have different interior reflections and different speaker mounting positions/distances....from my experience it takes a long long time to tune...especially if your inexperienced, just keep at it a dont get frustrated

Edited by JRsmoothee

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee : Alpine ILX-207 : Morel Tempo Ultra 6x9 components : Infinity Perfect 300m 3.5 midrange : Zapco ST-6X SQ : Dayton Audio DSP : 12" Fi SSD / 2.45 cuft @ 26hz : DC Audio 1.2K  : Stock 160A ALT. Odyssey Battery(engine) : Stinger Battery (back) : and plenty of CLD & MLV

That amp doesn't even get warm very much. Based on what i have, Should and could i be bridging the tweeters and or bridging the mid-ranges?

9 hours ago, lurice0 said:

That amp doesn't even get warm very much. Based on what i have, Should and could i be bridging the tweeters and or bridging the mid-ranges?

if it gets loud enough as is leave it....heat kills electrical components, if not bridge them and see what happens (set gain low at first).....trial and error man...as for tuning with rta, I have been trying different house curves and different weighting (A,C,Flat) just gotta be patient and let your ears tell you what sounds best....dont rely strictly on the RTA

Edited by JRsmoothee

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee : Alpine ILX-207 : Morel Tempo Ultra 6x9 components : Infinity Perfect 300m 3.5 midrange : Zapco ST-6X SQ : Dayton Audio DSP : 12" Fi SSD / 2.45 cuft @ 26hz : DC Audio 1.2K  : Stock 160A ALT. Odyssey Battery(engine) : Stinger Battery (back) : and plenty of CLD & MLV

12 hours ago, lurice0 said:

are you still having trouble with this?

2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)

2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff

Front stage:PRV Audio 6MB200 6.5 and Massive Audio CT2 tweeters

Rear speakers: stock

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

What program or device do i use to actually see my sound curve when i play the track on tuning cd's that sounds like a sound sweep of all frequencies? Apparently combining different crossover slopes (12db, 24db...) causes dips and nulls in that curve when you put it all together and i want to see if mine is like a clean sweep. 

If you had eq flat on all channels, hpf and lpf all set at normal safe ranges for all speakers, - what's your favorite slope (-6db 12db 24db...) and what's your favorite class (linkwitz, chebychev, butterworth...) for each speaker (tweeters, mid range, subwoofers...)?

Bump

I use 24db linkwitz ....kinda hard to blend sometimes depending on speaker locations from my experience......12db LW blends better but i find it causes phase issues with my setup...24db is easier to EQ with......but this is all subjective and just my opinion, every setup is different

Edited by JRsmoothee

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now