Super help for a super idiot.

MTesch14

Guys, I bought a car, which had aftermarket speakers, radio, and a subwoofer with an amp. I know there are hundreds of tutorials on how to set up your subwoofer, but I've tried everyone and I can't seem to get it to work. Its either way too much bass so it sounds rough, okay bass but anything below loud gets absolutely no bass, or just none at all, I CANNOT get it close to being okay. I'm not picky, and I'm an absolute idiot about speakers. I'll attach the image of the amp, which I think is old as hell, and the subwoofer, I honestly don't know anything about the speaker, except they sound quite nice.

All I want to know, is there anyway someone who is ridiculously smart can look at my amp, and just tell me where I can put the dials to make a somewhat decent sound?? The only other info I have is my radio is a pioneer, DEH-2200UB, and the audio level goes up to 62, and if I'm jamming out, I play the music at about 45-50, which is loud, but not stupid loud. I know this is a super difficult question especially because I have no specs, but I've tried following the videos, and it just doesn't work. If anyone can help, please. Or if anyone can tell me what info you need to help me, just let me know, and I'll try to get it. The issue is mostly my subs though, I have no issues with the speakers.

Thanks, hope I'm posting this in the correct area, like I've said, I know absolutely NOTHING about car audio.

If anyone can help, I'll be forever grateful

***PICTURE*** https://s15.postimg.cc/o52hopxuz/image2_1305.jpg

ALSO, I'm sure this is standard?, but the amp which is hooked up to the sub has Level, FULL,LPF,HPF switch(which I know belongs on LPF, at least I know one thing, and a Low pass dial and high pass dial.

Also worth noting, I keep my radio on flat, which adds no treble, bass or any edits to the sound, and also keep the "bass boost" dial at zero too

First, the amplifier you have is a super cheap brand and may never sound good no matter what you do with it.

Ok, here goes nothing. With the crossover switch set to low pass, the high pass knob does nothing. So you can ignore that one. Turn the bass boost all the way down and ignore it as well. That just leaves the low pass and the level. Set the low pass to around 80 hertz. ( it goes from 35hz to 300hz, so about 1/3).

That just leaves you with the level ( gain ). The easiest way to tell you to do it is to set the stereo to a normal volume level. Not blasting, just a regular level. Start with the gain on the amplifier all the way down and slowly advance it till it sounds good. The listen to it at high volume and see what it sounds like. Adjust as needed till you find the happy medium.

yeah that amp looks old as heck too.. u can even get a pa 2300 (i think it is) at walmart for like $83 it's same amp as ppi 650 test about 600 rms be tons better and can run 2 low end 12's.. jblgtx500 is tested 800rms $99..

And I’m *hoping*, that one of these new amps can hook up pretty much the same way as it is right now, just correct plugs in correct holes right? If so, I’ll take your suggestion, and go buy a better amp today.

Especially if my subwoofer is a somewhat respected brand, I’ll go buy that JBL amp you suggested, and hook it up right away. I have no issue mounting it, just hoping the wires still work on a new amp.

Also, is there a way to give you both reputation or such on this forum, because your help is extremely appreciated

And I’m *hoping*, that one of these new amps can hook up pretty much the same way as it is right now, just correct plugs in correct holes right? If so, I’ll take your suggestion, and go buy a better amp today.
Especially if my subwoofer is a somewhat respected brand, I’ll go buy that JBL amp you suggested, and hook it up right away. I have no issue mounting it, just hoping the wires still work on a new amp.

Also, is there a way to give you both reputation or such on this forum, because your help is extremely appreciated
the jbl is a good amp another option is pioneer 8601 they everywhere but usually tad more $.. check walmart website for either may have a sale ., just don't buy any other amp. we don't recommend power acoustic amps just that one we know was tested and saw guts and know it's same as another ok ppi amp same with jbl and pioneer we have guy here that test amps i'll give u link to his youtube channel watch some of his vids (he's bigblank69 on here).. amp just needs power ground and remote wire + rcas should be pretty simple., come back when u get it well tell u how to set controls.. u can just click the thanks button under our post.. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCglLe6GVa1SN1IQ6M8LoGMw

https://www.ebay.com/i/183296367745?chn=ps

This is what I could find out about your sub woofer, as I have never heard of that brand before. It should be a single 4 ohm sub and you should be fine with that amp running at a 4 ohm mono load.I wouldnt try any lower on that old Legacy amp.Those were some very entry/very cheap amplifiers made in the 90s for those on a budget or entry level so to speak.It will work but not a well made brand and not a real reliable made brand.But it will work.id use what you have until you get tired of it or decide to upgrade to newer gear or well made used gear. That sub states its only rated for 150 rms, so just watch your gain settings.That amp may shell out a real 120-145 clean rms at 4 ohms mono ..maybe. Your enclosure may be just a little on the large side if its a 10 by looking at it. i ran 10s alot over the years.Most low powered 10s in my experience seemed to enjoy around a 1.2- 1.4 sealed enclosure.Most did well in 1.4-1.6 at around 35 htz,.i have even ran a pair of older Lanzar Max Pro 10s and 12s, and they did very well for what I had in them.

I’m gonna take a few days to think over this. With all this information, I’m considering a couple things. Get a new amp, which seems silly now seeing my speaker is cheap and old too, so it makes me want to get a new sub as well. So maybe I’ll jusy be getting a new setup, but time will tell. I’ll let you guys know what I decide on.

that box looks pretty small. i'd take it out and measure it to see how much air space you have and check it for air leaks. Hopefully its at least .75" wood. A Dayton audio ho dual 4 (dual voice coil) and that JBL amplifier that was recommended would be a good combination in a small sealed box.

https://www.ebay.com/i/183296367745?chn=ps This is what I could find out about your sub woofer, as I have never heard of that brand before. .
dynex is an off brand at the very best. its most commonly found in the cheap tv market similar to best buys insignia brand. dynex is most notable for making cheap interconnect cables. from what i can tell, this is a woofer from a home audio sub thats been repurposed for this car application. i needn't say anything about the amp, as anyone who has been around for a while knows about legacy.

sorry OP, but you got some flea market stuff right there. there are tons of amps you can get for cheap that make great power. a popular one is the pioneer gm-8601 and for a sub, anyone who recommends the dayton HO woofer is correct. great driver for cheap and dayton is a very underrated brand by those who arent in the know.

I’m gonna take a few days to think over this. With all this information, I’m considering a couple things. Get a new amp, which seems silly now seeing my speaker is cheap and old too, so it makes me want to get a new sub as well. So maybe I’ll jusy be getting a new setup, but time will tell. I’ll let you guys know what I decide on.
Have you attempted to set the gains as was suggested? That's an old/cheap amp but it'll probably do more or less the same thing as a new cheap amp will do, unless the sound is scratchy or it makes odd noises (popping, hissing, etc.) I don't think you have much to gain updating that especially if you're happy with the output. Ditto with the sub. If it sounds good it is good. Yes it's all low tier stuff but if you're happy with the sound and output why not just keep using it instead of spending more money? Fair warning, be very careful going down the rabbit hole of car audio. It can go pretty deep.

Lastly some head units have "highway mode" or "supreme" (poke around in the menu/sound options). These gimmics are essentially a bass boost that is on at low volume levels. They are pretty worthless in general and sound particularly off when you add aftermarket amps, speakers, and subs.

I’ve sadly had no luck with getting the amp and sub to play well with each other. I’m going through everything today to see if there are air leaks as was said, and to measure the box. Yesterday, I sat for over an hour playing multiple songs on repeat, and could not get any good sound to come out, which is sad considering I’m not a person who’s used to really high quality audio. I’ll get back to you guys with what i find

After I check the box though, if you guys think it’s adequate enough for a new Dayton HO 10 inch sub that’s suggested, let me know, and I’ll just go ahead and order it with the suggested amp.

After u check for leaks Take the speaker out and see if there's any bracing on the inside, I doubt it does but not a big deal if not if its at least .75 thick. If the box is going to work and you decide on the dayton make sure u order the right one. There's a single voice coil version and also a hf version. You'll want the ho dual 4 from parts express.

Hard to tell how deep that box is from pic. while you have it apart measure the depth of the speaker hole from top and cut out. Parts express list the depth and cut out size you need.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.