Need help powering this madness!

Hello!

I own a 94' Bronco, fully sound-deadened and with an aftermarket 200A alternator. I am wondering how you would (in terms of amps) power all of the following speakers:

-Rockford Fosgate P3D4 (600W RMS) or IDQ12 D2 V.4 (750) subwoofer in the back

-2x AudioFrog GS690's in the backseat area (100W RMS each)

-2x Denovo Audio Anarchy 7" midbass in front doors (100W RMS each)

-2x tweeters (idk which ones yet, but let's assume ~100W each)

My budget for amps for this setup is around $500-600, maybe more if warranted. I am thinking of having 2 amplifiers for this setup, but can't decide. Please let me know.

Also, is there a benefit with powering the subwoofer seperately from everything else?

Thanks!

BND

Hello!
I own a 94' Bronco, fully sound-deadened and with an aftermarket 200A alternator. I am wondering how you would (in terms of amps) power all of the following speakers:

-Rockford Fosgate P3D4 (600W RMS) or IDQ12 D2 V.4 (750) subwoofer in the back

-2x AudioFrog GS690's in the backseat area (100W RMS each)

-2x Denovo Audio Anarchy 7" midbass in front doors (100W RMS each)

-2x tweeters (idk which ones yet, but let's assume ~100W each)

My budget for amps for this setup is around $500-600, maybe more if warranted. I am thinking of having 2 amplifiers for this setup, but can't decide. Please let me know.

Also, is there a benefit with powering the subwoofer seperately from everything else?

Thanks!

BND
unless you are going to use some type of passive crossover for the front midbass and tweeters, you are going to need a 6-channel amplifier for the speakers, and a separate subwoofer amp.

those anarchy mids need to crossed at around 2000hz maximum from what i've seen, so i would either recommend getting a wideband or you are going to need a tweeter that you can cross over around 2k

https://www.amazon.com/Zapco-ST-6X-6-Channel-Class-Amplifier/dp/B07B8WLVM8

1st go with the idq.. i like separate sub amp but 1 is easier to install. if u find a amp with strong enough sub side sure.. this would be enough https://www.amazon.com/Sundown-Audio-SAE-1100-5-5-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B06Y3WYRJ6 but plenty of 1k rms amps for $250 (rockford 1200 is $239 set gain low won't even work hard) and 4 channels for $200 or so..
Thanks! I'll go with the IDQ then. I've been looking at the Rockford Fosgate amps. But all of these multi-channel amps have lower power outputs at 4Ohms, so I'm considering bridging 2 channels and putting the speakers in parallel.

unless you are going to use some type of passive crossover for the front midbass and tweeters, you are going to need a 6-channel amplifier for the speakers, and a separate subwoofer amp. those anarchy mids need to crossed at around 2000hz maximum from what i've seen, so i would either recommend getting a wideband or you are going to need a tweeter that you can cross over around 2k
What amp do you recommend? I'm mostly just afraid of over-running the amp when powering 6 speakers on it. How would you recommend I wire the speakers? Each set in parallel?

unless you are going to use some type of passive crossover for the front midbass and tweeters, you are going to need a 6-channel amplifier for the speakers, and a separate subwoofer amp. those anarchy mids need to crossed at around 2000hz maximum from what i've seen, so i would either recommend getting a wideband or you are going to need a tweeter that you can cross over around 2k

My bad, I didn't see that link before commenting. I see it's only rated to 100W at 4 ohm though. I'd like a bit of leeway, especially because those Anarchys are apparently power-hungry, so I'd like atleast 125W per channel.

My bad, I didn't see that link before commenting. I see it's only rated to 100W at 4 ohm though. I'd like a bit of leeway, especially because those Anarchys are apparently power-hungry, so I'd like atleast 125W per channel.
u could do a pioneer 8604 tested 130rms x4 and a smaller amp for tweets..

u could do a pioneer 8604 tested 130rms x4 and a smaller amp for tweets..
Yup, that's what i was thinking but then I end up with 3 amps... not ideal.

Would having 2 amps, one powering the 7" and 6x9s, and the other powering tweeters and the sub, Work? Or would that in any way degrade audio quality?

This is very much my first thoughts.

I've been running those Anarchy mids for ages now (and other flavors of that same driver) and they definitely want to be crossed over relatively low for best results. In fact IIRC when they originally came out people were talking about pairing them with planars or other large format type tweeters that are comfortable crossed low. You can run most of those small tweeters crossed around 2K but they power handling goes way down the lower you cross them and some may start sounding harsh. Personally I've always run mine as the woofer in a 3 way set and they're excellent for that job.

Does that Zapco have enough onboard crossovers to manage the job?

Thanks! I'll go with the IDQ then. I've been looking at the Rockford Fosgate amps. But all of these multi-channel amps have lower power outputs at 4Ohms, so I'm considering bridging 2 channels and putting the speakers in parallel.
What amp do you recommend? I'm mostly just afraid of over-running the amp when powering 6 speakers on it. How would you recommend I wire the speakers? Each set in parallel?
I would also vote for the IDQ with the caveat that your best bet is probably a 6 channel for your highs and a separate small amp for your sub, so if you can't get Dual 2 ohm coil sub you are greatly limiting your options on a mono amp to run that.

A 6 channel amp would run 1 channel per speaker, ideally also crossing them over. I run the Zed Audio Leviathan and am very happy though MSRP might be a bit over your budget. Might could score one used for a bit less if you look around. Relatively small for what it is, loads of power, efficient, good sounding, and has all the crossover options you'd ever need built in.

That said, the difference between 100W per channel and 150 amounts to no more than 1 click of your volume knob or less while the difference in price can get more dramatic around that point. Also while those Anarchy's aren't wildly efficient, if you cross the high pass low enough (which is rather what they're good for) they will reach excursion limits before 100W. For example, mine run 45hz up to 350hz and the 75W I give them is about as much as they want. If you cross them up to 80-100hz you could double that.

How much of this do you already own? Are you really dead set on the 6X9s in the back? Had you considered just a 6 channel to run the fronts and sub and keep the 6X9s just run off of head unit power?

https://theamplab.net/sundown-audio-sae-1100-5/

I'd never pay MSRP on a Sundown amp but these guys are an authorized repair shop and do great work. This refurb is a pretty good deal, though I'm not sure what they have for built in crossovers, so might need to buy/build passives or own a head unit with "active" crossover capabilities.

This is very much my first thoughts.
I've been running those Anarchy mids for ages now (and other flavors of that same driver) and they definitely want to be crossed over relatively low for best results. In fact IIRC when they originally came out people were talking about pairing them with planars or other large format type tweeters that are comfortable crossed low. You can run most of those small tweeters crossed around 2K but they power handling goes way down the lower you cross them and some may start sounding harsh. Personally I've always run mine as the woofer in a 3 way set and they're excellent for that job.

Does that Zapco have enough onboard crossovers to manage the job?

I would also vote for the IDQ with the caveat that your best bet is probably a 6 channel for your highs and a separate small amp for your sub, so if you can't get Dual 2 ohm coil sub you are greatly limiting your options on a mono amp to run that.

A 6 channel amp would run 1 channel per speaker, ideally also crossing them over. I run the Zed Audio Leviathan and am very happy though MSRP might be a bit over your budget. Might could score one used for a bit less if you look around. Relatively small for what it is, loads of power, efficient, good sounding, and has all the crossover options you'd ever need built in.

That said, the difference between 100W per channel and 150 amounts to no more than 1 click of your volume knob or less while the difference in price can get more dramatic around that point. Also while those Anarchy's aren't wildly efficient, if you cross the high pass low enough (which is rather what they're good for) they will reach excursion limits before 100W. For example, mine run 45hz up to 350hz and the 75W I give them is about as much as they want. If you cross them up to 80-100hz you could double that.

How much of this do you already own? Are you really dead set on the 6X9s in the back? Had you considered just a 6 channel to run the fronts and sub and keep the 6X9s just run off of head unit power?

https://theamplab.net/sundown-audio-sae-1100-5/

I'd never pay MSRP on a Sundown amp but these guys are an authorized repair shop and do great work. This refurb is a pretty good deal, though I'm not sure what they have for built in crossovers, so might need to buy/build passives or own a head unit with "active" crossover capabilities.
Very detailed response, thanks, I appreciate it.

I actually own nothing as of now. I want to make a list of all the things that I,'m 100% sure I want to buy and then order. Although I'd rather not run anything off the head unit power. Realistically, if I'm spending $300 on a pair of 6x9 midrange speakers, I feel as if it's audio crime to not run them on a decent amp haha! I wouldn't mind having 3 amps in the vehicle. It's more of a space issue than money or power.

just to throw it out there u would get cheaper (really cheap) rears some of us don't even use rears and run them off hu and mostly to front with power on front speakers u won't really hear the rears anyway..

just to throw it out there u would get cheaper (really cheap) rears some of us don't even use rears and run them off hu and mostly to front with power on front speakers u won't really hear the rears anyway..
Good point actually. I still wanna replace the garbage stock ones though. They are absolutely horrible. The only reason I chose those is because everyone praises their "midrange capabilities". Do you know of any other 6x9s that have atleast decent midrange capabilities and don't cost like $300? Lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.